• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Azumanga Daioh DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why you waited until Nov. 7 to review a disc that came out in April.

Beside that, I'm one of the biggest Azumanga fans in the country, and the review describes the disc perfectly. Some of the jokes may not make sense to some viewers, but the overall charm of the girls (and to some degree, their teachers) more than make up for it.

While the whole disc is awesome, there are three items that really stand out: (1) Chiyo-chan, the best mascot character in all of anime, (2) Kira Vincent-Davis' role as Osaka, the best casting of any series released in 2004, and (3) the translater notes included in every volume. I learned a lot about Japanese culture just by reading the notes.

There is one and only one bad thing about Azumanga: that annoyingly lame opening song. But that's what the skip button on DVD remotes is for.

Azumanga Daioh gets my vote as the best dubbed series of 2004. Great job, ADV Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I'm curious as to why you waited until Nov. 7 to review a disc that came out in April.

Because I only received the disc in late September, and was bogged down by finals and a few unexpected "surprises" before I could get around to reviewing it. Razz

Anyway, thank you for your compliments on the review. To be honest, I really wasn't sure this one was all that good, since I was caught up between class projects when doing it (though I believe I did much better on volumes two & three, which should be coming up shortly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
(1) Chiyo-chan, the best mascot character in all of anime

Oh, so true. The penguin suit (in a later episode) was the cutest thing I've seen in any form of animation. Anime hyper

biliano wrote:
(3) the translater notes included in every volume. I learned a lot about Japanese culture just by reading the notes.

I agree. It was very gracious of ADV to go through all that trouble, and the collector's pins are a nice touch too.

biliano wrote:
There is one and only one bad thing about Azumanga: that annoyingly lame opening song. But that's what the skip button on DVD remotes is for.

Now this is where I disagree with you. I feel "Soramimi Keiki" is a wonderful and cheery song, in a crazy sense, but very fitting for the series, nonetheless. Razz

I don't like the dub, and that's all I'll say, so please feel free to bash me for not liking ADV's dubbing, but I've said it once already that this is probably the most decent dub I've heard from them, which means a lot coming from me, though none of you probably care... Crying or Very sad.

Anyway, good job, Nagi. For a review that was crossed between school, it still does an excellent job of getting a good deal of the sentimenal theme across while remaining objective (for the most part). Good luck on the next one. Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Now this is where I disagree with you. I feel "Soramimi Keiki" is a wonderful and cheery song, in a crazy sense, but very fitting for the series, nonetheless. Razz

Cake for you! ... Tea for you!

Indeed it's a fitting song for the series, and actually pretty catchy.

Tony K. wrote:
I don't like the dub, and that's all I'll say, so please feel free to bash me for not liking ADV's dubbing,

*bashes Tony over the head* Wink
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
I disagree that the show is pure fluff; like the best observational comedy it picks up on aspects of human behavior that are significant but easily taken for granted. There's a wisdom in this series. Other than that I thought this was a sharp review.

The dub's one of the best I've ever heard, although I haven't heard much new stuff lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
biliano wrote:

I'll say this: "Soramimi" is the most grating anime song I probably have ever heard, and is also one of the most good-addictive songs I have ever heard. That's the paradox of AxuDai. It seems completely ludicrous, which is why you want more. ^__^;
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like I'm in the minority regarding Azumanga's opening song, but the series still rules Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Well, it looks like I'm in the minority regarding Azumanga's opening song, but the series still rules Very Happy

Heh, I guess I'm in the minority too. I found the song to be incredibly annoying and very grating on the nerves. Too... high-pitched and just "ick" for my tastes.

As for reviews, ANN strives to have as many reviews as possible. So, even if it's a review for an old DVD, we still want it in our review archives. Better late than never! Anime smile
dragonlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
LOL my Universities anime club is gonna be viewing two eps this friday, and having been to last months viewing i'm gonna have fun listening to the hordes of people sing the opening at this Friday

obviously they love it
LOL
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
I recently had the opportunity to watch this show, and I totally love it. Osaka has to be one of my top three or five favorite characters in all of anime; totally clueless and lost the entire time. I like the sketch (section? vignette? episode chunklet?) where she's "chasing" the dust specks on her eyes. I think I fell out of my chair laughing at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1