• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been looking around the internet for a legitimate download service that handles jpop. I have seen that iTunes and Napster have a sprinkling of albums/artists/compilations, but overall I find them lacking. I also find those same services lacking in more recent songs.

Really? I have a feeling someone hasn't been really looking for J-pop on iTunes. Lately I have been shocked at how much Geneon branded music has been appearing there lately. Instead of importing the latest Railgun cd's from CDJapan, I've been able to purchase them from iTunes. And if you look at one artist, iTunes will suggest other similar other artists. There is more out there than one might realize.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I hate the Japanese music industry. Companies have to license the rights to each song separately and go through that headache. Then they have to go through the headache of getting the lyrics approved for subtitling. And they're so full of themselves that they wont let (or rarely let) US companies dub the songs because they feel it'll somehow affect the original songs' popularity.

Hey, Japanese music industry: Stop pissing me off and get approvals to Crunchyroll faster and let R1 companies dub songs whenever the hell they want so we don't get that ridiculous "We talk in English, but sing in Japanese!" bullshit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Madoka (which is the only episode I've seen, since I'm saving the series for a rainy day), I was getting really futuristic feel from the setting, with all the transparent walls and blocks and stuff. It felt like it was set in the near future, like 2030 or something. And then the girls go to a record store to buy CDs, and it was like tripping over a log. I just couldn't get over the whole idea of people buying CDs in the future (or even today. I haven't bought a CD in over 3 years). But I've seen this kind of thing a lot from Japanese business. The Japanese can innovate like crazy until they get something that works really well--and then they completely stop innovating until it completely fails to work any longer (This is today's gross overgeneralization that is true more often than not). This is the same reason that their stand-up comedies are still in the style of Abbott and Costello. It's a lot like this.

Quote:
Dear Brandon: My "resolution" for Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is that Bo-Bobo invents a time machine that runs on moonbeam farts and goes so far into the future that he essentially creates a singularity that is, in fact, the start of the Big Bang and the beginning of the entire universe, and also he screams at a carrot

You know, I think I remember seeing that episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
And yet, even though Occult Academy had all the workings to be a decent series (or possibly even a hit), the sales for it tanked miserably. I think after the first vol it didn't even sell 2k combined DVD/BD copies.

Sora no Woto is the champion of the Anime no Chikara project in terms of sales, averaging about 4-5k or so.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Oooo, a lot of good choices in the Answerfans segment this week! It's sad how many fun series just stop instead of actually ending. I didn't know that the Devilman OVA never ended, though, that's a bummer. (I've never watched it, but I've heard great things about its goofy British dub.)

I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned the Giant Robo prequel and sequels that could have been... those still make me sad to think about. :(
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So! Twelve Kingdoms is seven novels total; Full Metal Panic! has twelve volumes, and a bunch of short stories, apparently. Yikes. For the sake of argument, let's just think about this rationally, for a moment. Even if, if Tokyopop were still around and Stu Levy didn't feel the need to dump his publishing business in order to pursue his dreams of being a skateboarding Yeti-Vampire rock star, who's to say they would've been able to publish ALL of the books in those series, anyway?

And what about a much shorter series like .hack//GU with only four volumes? Or better yet, what if that fourth volume was due out the same month as Tokyopop officially closed? and even better, what if that fourth volume is rumored to have actually been printed and released in some parts of the world, but not domestically? Think .hack//GU still stands a chance of being picked up by another publisher just so they can release one volume that supposedly had an extremely limited printing and might be sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for discount book store to grab it? I doubt it.

Nah, I'm not bitter. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* my first posting on this site and it was provoked by this?! Oh well:
Quote:
To be fair, since when has a CLAMP series ended well?

The List:
    Man of Many Faces
    CLAMP School Detectives
    Duklyon: CLAMP School Defenders
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Wish
    Angelic Layer
    Chobits

Also, I'd wager I'll be able to add Kobato to this list in July. Furthermore, these are just the series that end well for all parties. The only series with true sad endings are RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon, and the Shirahime-Syo short stories (I'm not counting CLAMP's tragic series with no ending, like X and Clover).
Sorry for splitting hairs, but I saw that one and just couldn't let it go.
iathomps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
they very rarely get animated to completion. Correct me if I am wrong, but the number of light novel series actually animated to completion can be counted on two hands, right? Let me think:

-Toradora
-legend of the galactic heroes
-Kara no Kyoukai
-shakugan no shana (hopefully)
-fate zero (hopefully)

anything else? It seems like most of the time you get projects like Baccano or Spice and wolf that animate the first few and never really get anywhere else.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
iathomps wrote:
they very rarely get animated to completion. Correct me if I am wrong, but the number of light novel series actually animated to completion can be counted on two hands, right? Let me think:

-Toradora
-legend of the galactic heroes
-Kara no Kyoukai
-shakugan no shana (hopefully)
-fate zero (hopefully)

anything else? It seems like most of the time you get projects like Baccano or Spice and wolf that animate the first few and never really get anywhere else.

This is probably because like most manga anime adaptations, the light novels (Baccano, Spice and Wolf etc) are still ongoing right?

I love my j-rock and am perfectly happy to import CDs from Japan but when it comes to j-pop (especially anime songs) the cost isn't worth it (because I don't give a damn about the b-side track or the instrumentals included on the CD releases). I'd love to legally purchase and download j-pop but it really doesn't seem like it'll be happening anytime soon sadly *sigh*

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to mention that I'd love it if someone picked up Alice in the Country of Hearts. I was certain it'd be a definite license rescue but discussion on Tokyopop on manga blogs makes it seem less certain due to the fact that there's only one volume left to be published *crosses fingers*
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking around the internet for a legitimate download service that handles jpop. I have seen that iTunes and Napster have a sprinkling of albums/artists/compilations, but overall I find them lacking. I also find those same services lacking in more recent songs.

Really? I have a feeling someone hasn't been really looking for J-pop on iTunes. Lately I have been shocked at how much Geneon branded music has been appearing there lately. Instead of importing the latest Railgun cd's from CDJapan, I've been able to purchase them from iTunes. And if you look at one artist, iTunes will suggest other similar other artists. There is more out there than one might realize.

And as Brian points out and something I've been doing for awhile now is if you can get an iTunes Japan gift card its not to hard to singup and most everything is there (though at 200¥ most singles are a bit costly). Sure more jpop/kpop is showing up the the US iTunes store but its pretty limited.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Question of the week: There really weren't any games that knocked my socks off at E3 this year. The 2 upcoming games I am most looking forward to I already knew about long before E3, though, certainly, I was pleased to see more of Forza Motorsport 4, which looks to be a bigger upgrade over Forza Motorsport 3 than Forza Motorsport 3 was over Forza Motorsport 2. I'm also looking forward to Driver: San Francisco, since I love open world driving games and also since this is the first game in the series to feature licensed automobiles.

J-pop question: Eh, I still import CD's from Japan and I have no intention of stopping. CD's may have been the end of the line as far as mass market physical media audio, with other formats like DVD-Audio and Mini-Discs having faltered in the marketplace, but if CD's are the end of the line, I'm perfectly happy to never move on because I still like the sound of CD's and I like owning all my music in a physical format. I don't care if compact discs are an uncool technology, I still listen to my portable CD player on the bus and don't feel any need whatsoever to "upgrade" to an iPod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Question of the week: My must-buy: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Looks like another good Elder Scrolls game (Knowing we finally get to use Nordic shouts and see Skyrim for the first time since Arena), but I hate how Bethesda's dumbing things down from Oblivion! There's no reason for them to remove mysticism, athletics, acrobatics, and our spell-making abilities, nor is there any good reason to merge all the melee combat skills into just one-handed and two-handed skills! (It's as bad as folding short blade and long blade into one blade skill and folding axe and blunt into one blunt skill!) They really need to go back to the skills we had in Daggerfall and Morrowind! We gamers aren't stupid. We can learn more complex skill sets if they'd JUST LET US. They may call it "streamlining", but all it is is a massive insult to us gamers' intelligence. Pandering to the lowest common denominator.

J-pop: Why must the Japanese companies be such backward-ass Luddites? Why must they be so hostile to new technology? CDs are dead, people! Get with the times! I download all my music; all I do with the few CDs I do have is rip them onto my hard drive and never touch them again unless my hard drive fails. As long as the discs still work, I shouldn't have to worry too much about backing the songs up on an external hard drive. Music no longer needs a physical copy, as Napster and other download services have proven.

Unfinished works: Can someone tell my why the blue hell CLAMP never finished Legal Drug? Either finish what you start or don't start it at all!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stu Levy didn't feel the need to dump his publishing business in order to pursue his dreams of being a skateboarding Yeti-Vampire rock star

*tries not to snort her milk out of her nose* Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Unfinished works: Can someone tell my why the blue hell CLAMP never finished Legal Drug? Either finish what you start or don't start it at all!

because the magazine it was running in ceased to exist, IIRC. Not that that's really an excuse when it's CLAMP we're talking about, and any magazine in Japan would trip over itself to publish a comic about toenail clippings if they drew it, but that's the official reason.

I'm agreeing with Optitron up there, a LOT of CLAMP series have had perfectly good endings (whether of the happy or sad variety). It's just that series like Tsubasa are still fresh in everyone's mind. Not all of CLAMP's works are that big of a clusterfuck! ...Though I have a feeling that's what the ending of X will look like, too, if we ever get it.

You know what series I want the end to? Loveless. Seriously. And it'd be nice if we'd even get the most recent volume in English, too, even though it's been out forever in Japan :\
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of days that I agree with Andrew's top pick. Knowing that the fourth season of the Seikai anime is also still sitting overseas never seems to stop rubbing salt in the wounds either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3