• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Is That A Kiba In Your Pocket...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manafairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Two CLAMP titles in the Buy It section?! Why, I believe this is a first

Actually, in the very first RTO, both Tokyo Babylon and XXXHolic were in the buy it section, so this is actually a second....J-just saying Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Oh yeah, another good column. This is the only review blog on this site that I actually enjoy and can, more or less, agree with. As per usual, I'll be looking forward to the next column^_^
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what's sad? Is that I actually skimmed all of the columns to see if 2 CLAMP titles had shown up in the buy it section before. Obviously I am blind. ^_^;
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved the column this week. Its' superbly written and has a nice variety of titles. I've been a loyal reader from the get-go and RTO just seems to get better and better each time. Nice work on the column.

However,(yes, I'm done brown-nosing) I find it disappointing that Wolf's Rain(manga) isn't all that great compared to the anime. So, forgive my lack of manga knowledge, but I beg to ask a common question, - which is quite similar to 'What came first the Chicken or the Egg?' - was the anime spawned from the manga or the other way around?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
However,(yes, I'm done brown-nosing) I find it disappointing that Wolf's Rain(manga) isn't all that great compared to the anime. So, forgive my lack of manga knowledge, but I beg to ask a common question, - which is quite similar to 'What came first the Chicken or the Egg?' - was the anime spawned from the manga or the other way around?

The Wolf's Rain manga started around spring of last year, after the anime. It's one of those manga based off anime, and like most of those, it isn't really good, and extremly short. It was however, somewhat overseen by BONES if that's any bonus.
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain Manga wasn't great? Well, I can't say I wasn't half expecting this, but it is still kind of depressing. Sad What's even more depressing is that people will be borrowing it from me, instead of the other way around. Darn me for being a Wolf's Rain Groupie. Crying or Very sad
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's still good! It just would've been better had it been longer. And at least with people borrowing from you...they'll still get a chance to read it!
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The Wolf's Rain manga started around spring of last year, after the anime. It's one of those manga based off anime, and like most of those, it isn't really good, and extremly short. It was however, somewhat overseen by BONES if that's any bonus.
Thanks for the head's up, LGW. Truthfully though, after reading the small capsule review, again, I should've known the anime came first. But for some reason I didn't pick it up. Sometimes, I'm just too dense to notice such little things. Razz

The fact that BONES studio is overseeing the project does carry some sort of consolation. But the book seems to be mediocre at best.

Sort of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop’s transition from anime to manga.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:

I'd say the Wolf's rain manga adaptation is much better than Bebop's adaptation.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I was particuarly impressed with Legal Drug. Supirior in both writing and art compared to CLAMP's other current offerings.
But I don't think I'll get Wolfs Rain. I love the show, and thats going to make me critical of the manga (like what happened with RahXephon). I'll take your advice and borrow it from someone. Viz was pretty fast with putting this one out.
Speaking of Viz, they're finally publishing Phoenix:Resurrection next month. I didn't see Monster on the list though...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Thanks for the head's up, LGW. Truthfully though, after reading the small capsule review, again, I should've known the anime came first. But for some reason I didn't pick it up. Sometimes, I'm just too dense to notice such little things. Razz

The fact that BONES studio is overseeing the project does carry some sort of consolation. But the book seems to be mediocre at best.

Next time, just look it up on the Encyclopedia. It's faster and you wouldn't look so clueless Very Happy

Looks like XXXholic, Diabolo and Wolf's Rain for me this thanksgiving.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Goshin wrote:

I'd say the Wolf's rain manga adaptation is much better than Bebop's adaptation.

Bebop was one of those official doujinshi-type of adaptations (let's take our existing characters, put them in situations outside of the anime,) while Wolf's Rain was one of the typical 2-volume retelling anime manga.

Oh well, at least you didn't buy them all on import.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop That was me. Though I don't regret it. The release of the Japanese version is gorgeous, and the artwork in Wolf's Rain is really nice. I'll probably eventually end up buying the English version.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
linlinchan wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop That was me. Though I don't regret it. The release of the Japanese version is gorgeous, and the artwork in Wolf's Rain is really nice. I'll probably eventually end up buying the English version.

And me, I have them both in Japanese (Bebop and Wolf's Rain)
Ryuko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Take the first season of Power Rangers (when they were cool), make Rita a hot babe, replace the battle scenes with goofy hijinks involving playgrounds and chocolate, and you have yourself volume one of Imperfect Hero.

Have you ever seen Rita without her makeup on? She WAS hot.

Linky
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryuko wrote:
Quote:
Take the first season of Power Rangers (when they were cool), make Rita a hot babe, replace the battle scenes with goofy hijinks involving playgrounds and chocolate, and you have yourself volume one of Imperfect Hero.

Have you ever seen Rita without her makeup on? She WAS hot.

Linky

Dad gum, I'm having a hard time reconciling that face and that raspy snarl of a voice that I recall from my childhood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2