• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, May 29-June 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
That's insane for Black Butler. 26 weeks is half of a year (even if it wasn't all in a row).
FH14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow good for Yen Press. Maximum Ride is doing really well for them! It seems the Spice & Wolf manga is doing well, I wonder how well the light novels are doing for them?

And of course, Black Butler is doing insanely well. I wonder how well it'll do when FUNimation releases the entire first season of the anime in one set. Was sorta hoping Higurashi would make the list again but oh well.

Blue Exorcist is doing extremely well for Viz. It'll be interesting to see whether it manages to beat the new Naruto volume that's coming out and debut at #1.

And have I been living under a rock? When did Black Bird become so popular? It's been on the list for the past several weeks yet I haven't heard anything at all about it outside this website (though maybe I just need to "lurk moar")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
calimike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Next week's Naruto Vol.51 is top of list of manga, according to Bookscan.

@SASAKI_Hisashi tweeted...
Quote:
Received the latest BookScan report of US. #Naruto vol.51 is the top of the list of graphic novels!

Note: @SASAKI_Hisashi is Editor in Chief of Weekly Shonen Jump
oneshot_princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Black Bird is my absolute favourite right now! Very Happy I came across it at B&N so maybe it's higher up there on that list because it's easy to find; that's my guess... Although it's not at the local comic book store. Confused And yeah, 29 weeks is quite something--manga, book, song, or whathaveyou. Shocked That's one I haven't read (seen the anime, though). Hmmm...guess I'll have to give it a go. I'm wondering where Nura's going to be on that list coming up... Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Haha, look at that!
Maximum Ride has been at or near the top for the last couple of months straight!

That means, the top "manga" in America lately have been that and Twilight! Laughing

As non-license original properties, those are the ones raking in the money for their publishers.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That means, the top "manga" in America lately have been that and Twilight! Laughing

Yeah, so much for taste. I've read the first 2 volumes of Maximum Ride, and while it's certainly not as bad as Twilight, it's still pretty weak.

But hey, more money for Yen Press to license GOOD manga, I suppose. (Umineko!!!)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad a real American manga is at the top of the list instead of all these poser Japanese ones. Rolling Eyes

Of course I joke. I still find it funny that Maximum Ride, which is on top due to the American novelist whose works is adapted, gets its name on this list while other manga influenced American books like everything from Scott Pilgrim to Madam Xanadu is often ignored by mangaphiles who turn their nose up at it because it's not seen as manga. It really is all the same crap, but for some reason there's a line in the sand.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
But hey, more money for Yen Press to license GOOD manga, I suppose. (Umineko!!!)
Exactly! It's the one comfort I find in the sales of that awful Twilight graphic novel.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could care less for the Maximum Ride and Twilight graphic novels, but it's all bringing Yen Press some nice cash! So I won't complain.

I see Blue Exorcist as a surprise hit. I didn't expect it to be this popular, though I'm happy it is. And now Yen Press and VIZ basically rule these lists. Haruhi-chan seems to be doing at least moderately well for YP; I wonder is they'll eventually pick up Nyoron Churuya-san?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Exactly! It's the one comfort I find in the sales of that awful Twilight graphic novel.

As they say, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Laughing

Some people consider K-On awful because they don't do anything. Some people don't like Glee because it's High School Musical the TV series.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Some people don't like Glee because it's High School Musical the TV series.

High School Musical for the nerds and gays of school High School Musical wouldn't touch.

People who think Blue Exorcist actually stands a chance against a brand new Naruto volume here in the US haven't been watching these weekly Best Seller lists very long. When a new Naruto volume comes out here it's top of the lists for months.

And yeah, I totally agree with you Xenos. I never liked Patterson and don't understand why these two titles get special treatment. Maybe Yen Press is purposely categorizing them as "manga" so they make this list?

Honestly I've always wanted to see manga mixed in with regular graphic novel sales. I don't understand why they get a separate listing, and I always wanted to see where they compare to the sales of my other favorite comic series. I think it'd cause a lot more mingling across the comic lines. Comic nerds don't cross over to the various genres enough.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
When a new Naruto volume comes out here it's top of the lists for months.

No way. Not recently at least. I'll give it two weeks at #1, if that. It really depends on when the next girl-targeted manga sensation is released.

Cause for the past year at least, women have been completely driving the NA manga market.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
When a new Naruto volume comes out here it's top of the lists for months.

No way. Not recently at least. I'll give it two weeks at #1, if that. It really depends on when the next girl-targeted manga sensation is released.

Cause for the past year at least, women have been completely driving the NA manga market.

Surely now you don't believe it's only little boys buying Naruto, do you? Girls buy Naruto too.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Vampire Knight volume 12 will be out in time for next week's list, as well as Ouran Host Club 16 and Sakura Hime Kaden 2. It'll be interesting to see what's top then.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, so much for taste. I've read the first 2 volumes of Maximum Ride, and while it's certainly not as bad as Twilight, it's still pretty weak.

I would rather have 10,000 girls who buy the Twilight Graphic novel, and a ton of shoujo manga than have 100,000 guys who watch mecha anime and don't buy a single thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1