• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop's 1st Promotional Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...Oh, and speaking of cuteness, the still pictures I've seen of the girl really didn't do her justice; I felt so Moe towards her when watching the trailer. God she is adorable, I just wanted to pick her up and squeeze her. I think this might be a good time to mention that I wouldn't do that in real life, I'm not one of "those" sorts of people.

I have an under 5 year old niece and I can safely say that the impulse to suddenly hug the life out of something cute and female at that age is not something to be shameful or wary of. I love it when she wants me to give her a big bear hug. An impulse to do any MORE than that is what you should be wary of (within reason). Ask the mother of said child what she is comfortable with as far as hugs (or anything for that matter) go to be ultra sure IRL.

On a side note: I am kind of okay with the spoilers here in this thread existing... however I will agree with a previous poster that if the spoilers are true that it was unnecessary to end the story that way. There is nothing questionable in Usagi Drop pre time jump AT ALL. Just cuteness and basically plausible real life child raising.

And here I remember this manga being called the 'anti- Kodomo no Jikan' by someone important Laughing

Edit: After having read further in the manga but not having access to the last 3 chapters... There are still some very heartwarming and innocent moments after the time jump. Maybe Just avoiding the last few chapters would be acceptable to some.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I think it's kinda surprising how so many people didn't know about the spoiler till just now.

When I first heard of the series and thought about recommending it to my friend who loves stuff like this (who has Yotsuba in Japanese and English), and maybe even picking it up for myself, I went to the TV Tropes page, saw the spoiler, and immediately went "Yeah, no."

I rarely start to pick up a series that's already been completed without some assurance the ending isn't a total cop-out. (I had some bad experience with Clamp, and xxxHolic broke me.)

But if you really like the series just keep reading till the time-skip, or hell even after if you trust the author enough.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the ending is awesome! They deserve it! Laughing
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Some people may not quite agree with you mainly that spoiler[ it is squicky as hell for people who went in wanting a father/daughter story.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Some people may not quite agree with you mainly that spoiler[ it is squicky as hell for people who went in wanting a father/daughter story.]

She became a super-good daughter! Not many "daughters" would go that far! Laughing
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

She became a super-good daughter! Not many "daughters" would go that far! Laughing

Oh, duh. Razz
reaslin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
But if you really like the series just keep reading till the time-skip, or hell even after if you trust the author enough.

Sounds like good advice. Me, I will try just that! Smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Man, I've always enjoyed reading this story, and even thought it would make for a good American drama.

Now, reading the spoiler, it would only work on HBO!

What was the context?
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The anime could be like Asatte no Houkou and diverge from the manga. Regardless of the direction the manga took, the anime producers might want to tell a different story.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The ending reminds of the ending of Emma. (not the manga but the one Clueless is based on)。 spoiler[doesn't the main character end up with her stepfather or something like that?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3