• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yu-Gi-Oh! Sets Guinness Record with 25.1 Billion+ Cards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Two words: Holy S***!!! Shocked
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
More cards guys. I will be surprised only when it hits 40 billion. What else is even close?
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Now that they mention it...is there an estimate as to how many Magic: the Gathering Cards have been sold overall? Considering the fact that Magic is nearly twice as old, it would be quite a feat if Yu-Gi-Oh! actually surpassed it in sales.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Now that they mention it...is there an estimate as to how many Magic: the Gathering Cards have been sold overall? Considering the fact that Magic is nearly twice as old, it would be quite a feat if Yu-Gi-Oh! actually surpassed it in sales.

Considering it nearly doubled in only 5 years (2006: 15 billion; 2011: 25 billion) I wouldn't doubt it passed. In fact, that is why it still holds the record, because it did surpass it a long time ago.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

Magic expansions usually don't come out that often if I recall correctly. Yu-Gi-Oh! comes out with a new pack every few months, not to mention a huge amount of reprints (Gold series, structure decks etc...). Also, if this is including cards sold in Japan, it would probably make all the more sense (not familiar with Guinness's rules). The rarity ratios in Yugioh are also much more ridiculous than Magic.

The biggest problem with magic is that it switches "styles" every few years, which has hindered some veterans from continuing to play. It's simply not worth it to having to buy bulk of new cards each time these rules are updated (e.g. alpha/beta generation cards have been gone for ages). On the other hand, old Yugioh cards are still usable...just not meta, which allows for people of all "times" to be able to play whenever they want.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Yeeesh... If that Yugi kid "believes in the heart of the cards", that's gotta be one freakishly leviathan, blood-pumping monster of a heart... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1