• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wii U Cannot Play Standard DVD, Blu-ray Discs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CannedJam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well, to say the least, this isn't cool :/
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He added that he thinks people who would need to play DVDs and Blu-ray Discs would already have players.

The guy's got a point though. You can't tell me the consumer who would buy this does not already have some sort of device that would play a dvd. I see this proprietary format more of something to head off piracy.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
I question how much increased cost there would be in enabling DVD playback, given that complete standalone DVD players can be purchased for less than $35 at retail. In fact, I checked just now and found Wal-Mart actually shows one available in stores for only $24.

That said, the point about people already having players (at least for DVD) is valid.
infjeff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Not too surprised and I couldn't care less. Nintendo's focus is video games, and I don't need a 10th DVD player and a 3rd Blu-Ray player in my house. Nintendo is still letting the other two companies make everything-you'll-ever-need machines.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
In other words, the Wii U cannot play standard DVD, Blu-ray discs... unless you jailbreak it.

My jailbroken Wii plays DVDs just fine. Rolling Eyes Nintendo just doesn't want to bother enabling the feature.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Just as lame an excuse as how they stuck to cartridges when everyone else used disc-based media. Get with the times and let us play DVDs and Blu-ray discs on our Wiis already!
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Bad decision, Nintendo... I, too, question these supposed extra costs when DVD players can be found cheaper than new Wii games. Blu-Ray, maybe less so, but technology only gets cheaper over time.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
at first i thought, 'deal breaker', then read:
Quote:
He added that he thinks people who would need to play DVDs and Blu-ray Discs would already have players.

then realized that, yeah, i'd never use the wii u's dvd or bd functionality since i already have a much better settup than the wii u could ever hope to be.

and based on the article, the cost issue has to do with the pattents, not the actual technology itself. i imagine it's more nintendo doesn't want to pay sony piles of money for the privilege of including blu-ray functionality that most people probably won't use anyway.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder about the Japanese version, because the Wii in japan has the ability to play DVDs, just not the north American version, I guess we are not worth the extra money
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Disc based media is dead in the long run anyway, the Wii U will allow you to download all the movies you might want. Downloadable media is the future.
CannedJam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
As stated earlier: This isn't cool. Especially for a student moving out who would love an all-in-one console...
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I wonder about the Japanese version, because the Wii in japan has the ability to play DVDs, just not the north American version, I guess we are not worth the extra money

The Japanese Wii console does not play standard video DVDs out-of-the-box. Nintendo did announce plans to release a Wii console that can play video DVDs, but delayed this planned upgrade indefinitely so it can produce enough of the regular Wii.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
I loves me anime news.
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Do most people already have a DVD player? Almost certainly. Do most people already have a Blu-ray player? Eh, probably not most. Do most people have room for all of those things, plus other game consoles, plus a new console, and ports to plug them all in?

I don't think those issues will deter large numbers of people from buying it, but it would be in Nintendo's favor to get people using their system as much as possible, and being able to take over the function of another device might help. Nintendo has evidently determined that the benefits of doing that don't outweigh the costs, so they'll have to back it up with streaming services and software. If they can ensure a steady stream of quality games it won't matter as much, but their last 3 consoles have had trouble maintaining 3rd party support, leaving customers to turn to other consoles while their Nintendo gathers dusts for months between big releases.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Does anyone seriously not have a DVD player yet? Just off the top of my head I have access to five, most of which came as secondary functions to other devices.

The lack of a Blu-Ray player is a bit more questionable. I'm guessing due to the proliferation of PS3s they figured it wouldn't be worth it, especially if it was going to drive the price up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4