• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli Hangs Anti-Nuclear Power Banner on Rooftop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
What a bunch of idiots to be against nuclear power. They clearly don't do the research. The disaster that occurred was worsened because the reactors that they used in Japan were obsolete while newer models could withstand quakes and tsunamis 10 times more powerful than any ever recorded in Japan. Had they bothered to update their equipment, they damage would have been much less.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Too bad nuclear power is Japans only real option. Like the person before me said if they bothered to update it, this wouldn't have happened most likely. Nuclear power is the primary source of the nations power so yeah....
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
Oooh, the nuclear debate. The only argument that can be described as having a risk of going itself... well, by dorks, anyway.

Studying public policy in the past has made achingly clear to me that all choices have costs and no matter how attractive or excellent a choice is, there will be some loss or imposition entailed by it. If one prefers to be glib, the expression, "there's no such thing as a free lunch applies." Hell, there isn't even lunch without leaving a generous tip.

I don't know if the studio really thought the implications of that banner through. It seems like an impulsive, emotional reponse. Nuclear power generation certainly seems to be difficult, expensive and potentially very dangerous stuff, but I suspect that the alternatives would have costs that are ultimately serious and far reaching. Japan being a densely populated island nation with ample mountainous or hilly terrain seems to limit space for wind or solar power 'farms', to say nothing of whether those sources could reliably produce an adequate amount of power and whether the needed equipment could be manufactured in an environmentally sound way. There could be, as an alternative, impossibly radical measures such as compelling a change of social order to severely reduce energy use, but that would probably entail a reduction in standards of living and wealth that would leave little opportunity for a frivolous luxury like animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
I think the deeper message of the banner is that the government lost some of the public's trust as a result of the accident and their response to it.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure Hayao Miyazaki really wanted to compare the use of nuclear power to the harnessing fire - one of the most important advancements in human history. Kind of sends the opposite message from what they're going for.
Banden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
I'm not sure Hayao Miyazaki really wanted to compare the use of nuclear power to the harnessing fire - one of the most important advancements in human history. Kind of sends the opposite message from what they're going for.

This was my first thought exactly: "Studio Ghibli Wants to Make Movies With Electricity That Isn't From The Stolen Fire Of The Gods"??
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Well, if Ghibli doesn't want to use power from nuclear, then they can enjoy some more brownouts...
Chunx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
If no one still has any way of safely disposing the spent nuclear fuel, and this stuff is accumulating every year from every reactor out there, then it's a serious problem in itself. The Fukushima plant simply highlighted it for everyone.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
They could always try collecting power from the inductive radiation off those high voltage cables strung over their roof on that pylon. Wink I wonder why no one in Japan has ever noticed that giant source of heat to boil water with standing in their back garden called Mount Fuji?
Repeat after me:
Geo-thermal hydro electricity.

Works for Iceland. There you want heat? Drive a pipe into the gound and connect it to your radiators. Job's a good'un. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
The entire studio should be powered by Goro Miyazaki pedaling on a stationary bike hooked to a generator. Finally, a project he can handle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
My initial reaction to the very large protests in Japan against nuclear power was that this was a knee jerk reaction to something that could have not been prevented. However I was quick to discover, much to my ~surprise~(hint sarcasm, I have lived with oil/power/chemical plants and their companies all my life) that appropriate safety measures were not taken before and after the earthquake.

Honestly, I'd say good for Ghibli. If they can help bring attention to a very very large issue then good for them. These nuclear/chemical/oil/power companies need to be held accountable for their negligence and we should focus on safer ways to produce energy. I'd love to stop giving my money to companies that don't give a damn about our safety, the safety of their workers, and the environment and I do my best not to.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, Miyazaki is the same man who bemoans the fact that Japanese youth don't know how to start fires and thinks cell phones are ruining society... I love the man's movies, but his anti-technology stance is SO extreme that I think it's best to kind of just ignore what he says about this kind of thing... Environmentalism is a good thing, but we shouldn't have to live like Walden!!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
I absolutely agree with Studio Ghibi!

Japan should shut down all their nuclear plants and instead rely solely on coal and oil to generator power! No more nuclear waste! No more radiation risks! Of course, Japan would become completely reliant on foreign raw materials, but that's such a small price to pay! And, well, you'd need a lot of gas and coal plants to replace the ones based of nuclear power. But it's totally worth it, by gum!

You go, Studio Ghibi! Show the world that Japan has no need for nuclear power!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't know if the studio really thought the implications of that banner through. It seems like an impulsive, emotional reponse.

This. Not getting it from nuclear means you have to get it from fossil fuels, unless you have a means of gathering energy from other sources in large quantities. How many deaths are caused by gathering the average terawatt-year of nuclear energy? What if you change that to coal, or oil, or natural gas? Nuclear makes headlines, but nuclear accidents are rare.

minakichan wrote:
Well, Miyazaki is the same man who bemoans the fact that Japanese youth don't know how to start fires and thinks cell phones are ruining society... I love the man's movies, but his anti-technology stance is SO extreme that I think it's best to kind of just ignore what he says about this kind of thing... Environmentalism is a good thing, but we shouldn't have to live like Walden!!

What frustrates me is that his stance doesn't seem that well-thought-out or -grounded. It's just knee-jerk Arjuna-style "tech bad!". I keep wondering what he'd make of Kevin Kelly's What Technology Wants or similar books.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Reliance on foreign raw materials? Though uranium exists in some form almost everywhere on Earth, there are relatively few locations with high grade concentrations. Does Japan have its own resources for fuel for nuclear power plants?

For self-reliance, one can't beat the sun, the wind and the moon. Though a lot has to change for those resources to be sufficient, it isn't impossible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3