• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sugar SmAX

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Arizona has Miku Hatsune? What? Razz

EDIT: Ok, it's fixed now Razz

Last edited by Asrialys on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Have either of you seen "Enter The Void"? Being pretentious film buffs, i'd definitely recommend you check it out. I saw it a little while ago, and it's pretty much a visual high. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJkPLYmUyzg
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Haha, the Twitter question about certain types of Japanese guests not bringing in the crowd reminded me of this Anime News Nina strip.

Oho. Is that a hint at a FUNimation license of the new Last Exile? FUNi did get the first series. Although, Gonzo does have a good relationship with FUNimation and have asked them to speak for them for certain things. So it can go either way. Still would be good timing for FUNi to announce it at AX.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I like the fact that while they are not antagonistic to AM2, they are not trying to claim that there's no conflict there.

Sad to see that Justin and Zac didn't make any Duke Nukem Forever jokes, but I did enjoy the talk about Green Lantern.

Really did enjoy the guest (I always enjoy industry guests) but not a lot to talk about since I don't go to conventions.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Aww man, this makes me wish I could attend AX. But, me in midwest, AX in CA, it just doesn't work out. Too costly.

I already knew about Hatsune Miku, but I didn't know about Kalafina. Surprised If the fan response is big, maybe there might be even greater hope for PMMM...

I enjoyed listening to the guests, and I liked how they responded to the AM2 convention questions. Maybe I'll start checking out their podcasts and such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but this Chase Wang sounds like a dick.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the HotD anime is that you don't get to the mall arc, which is pure Romero and probably the best part of the manga thus far. It ends pretty well too. But after that, it goes down hill.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac sort of off-handily commented that its Summer season so there are only like 15 [new anime shows]. That seems to be usually true but looks to me there are perhaps 25 shows this upcoming season which does seem like a lot for Summer. Perhaps a positive sign for the industry.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
Zac sort of off-handily commented that its Summer season so there are only like 15 [new anime shows]. That seems to be usually true but looks to me there are perhaps 25 shows this upcoming season which does seem like a lot for Summer. Perhaps a positive sign for the industry.

I counted 26, but that includes Blade, which won't get reviewed. I'm not sure if it is more positive or desperate. According to the Calendar, Rou Kyuu Bu! kicks off on the 1st and Dantalian no Shoka wraps it up on the 16th, unless I missed one somewhere.

I've never heard of this Terrence Malick dude, but every time Tree of Life was spoken, I kept thinking about this. (I didn't go see it, but some friends of mine did. It's not as much surrounded by desert as oil pipelines. I guess that could be a metaphor for the human condition, or something).
I'm just not a movie person. I can't sit still for two-three hours to watch a movie anyway.
blarg01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
2 weeks left!!!

Watch out, Leo Laporte!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Justin: Don't feel too bad about not watching a lot of LA stuff. I only saw Malick's Thin Red Line until now. Hell, Kon's widow just posted a new old list of stuff Kon watched over a decade ago, and I'm really impressed he was able to eagerly consume so much media. And yet he still had not heard of Suicide Club when I asked him if that scene in Paprika where the salarymen fall off the building was inspired by the Shion Sono film. BTW, you might also want to consider Cave of Forgotten Dreams since you liked Tree of Life so much. As for Super 8, I liked its sensibility, but it's basically an extended episode of That 70s Show meets Carpenter's The Thing. Arcade Fire's Suburbs video already did it better and shorter. As for leftover superhero movies on the horizon, I'll just opt for Captain America, and wait for Dark Knight Rises.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Does it really take 3 hours to cross the con at AX?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Justin: Don't feel too bad about not watching a lot of LA stuff.

Don't get the wrong idea, I watch a TON of live action stuff, but I just concentrate so much on obscurities (anime included) that I get left out of a lot of conversations on very well-known directors. Neutral

I did see Enter the Void, but it didn't do much for me. I admire its chutzpah, but it just didn't give me enough to think about as I stared at it endlessly.

Last edited by jsevakis on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
I'm so bummed that I can't make to AX this year Sad I hope the Miku Concert is a big success so they'll wanna bring her back and do a full tour.
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

Beat me to it. That line made me lol because I think this is the biggest summer season evah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4