• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Under Strain

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
50,000 units should be a piece of cake for a hit shonen series to sell, so that indicates that Shaman King must have really fallen out of favor in Japan.
elniro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Seriously whats the point in delayin the LAST volume, might as well just print it, that's just being troublesome to the fans of the series
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who can read Japanese know how to fill out the form?

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:

That hardly helps at all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyone who can read Japanese now how to fill out the form?

First line is your name.
Second line is your address.
The box is for comments.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I could imagine Shaman King not doing well is if the focus went back to Manta, because he's like the Jar Jar of the series, and drama just doesn't work well with him, as you can see in the most recent American Jump.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The only reason I could imagine Shaman King not doing well is if the focus went back to Manta, because he's like the Jar Jar of the series, and drama just doesn't work well with him, as you can see in the most recent American Jump.

I wouldn't say Manta is the Jar Jar of the series... I like it better for having him in it. If he wasn't present, it'd be just another kids with superpowers battling for stuff comic. With him in it, it's unusual, because it's kids with powers as seen and felt through the eyes of a powerless kid... which is interesting because it doesn't force the unusual as the norm in the world of Shaman King.

On the other hand... I think that Hiroyuki Takei must have done something to annoy his editors, because there is no reason that something of at least that amount of fame wouldn't have just the last volume printed. I also feel bad for Mr. Takei, as he has a family to support and has always been one of my favorite people in the Manga world...

I'm going to write in my support. If you can, please do so as well.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I wouldn't say Manta is the Jar Jar of the series... I like it better for having him in it. If he wasn't present, it'd be just another kids with superpowers battling for stuff comic. With him in it, it's unusual, because it's kids with powers as seen and felt through the eyes of a powerless kid... which is interesting because it doesn't force the unusual as the norm in the world of Shaman King.

Yea I have to agree.

He's like us in a way, he doesn't have any real super power, he freak out when something abnormal happen. Basically, without him and his innocense, it'll be just anotehr super hero unrealistic bs beating the crap out of each other. Would the comic be better without him? Probably not.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:

That hardly helps at all.

Scroll down a bit. You'll see the signature form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know why the series stopped in the first place? I mean, it's obvious that if its on its 32nd tankobon, it's a successful series, but was the decision to stop serialization the manga-ka's choice to wrap up the story and not drag it out to the point of exhaustion (*cough*Dragonball*endcough*), or was the series losing popularity and Shueshia decided it wanted it to end so they could put the Next Big Thing in its place? I hope it is the former, as I hate it when the higher up guys end stuff prematurely and the ending has to be slapped together, as it feels so incomplete most of the time.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Anyone who can read Japanese now how to fill out the form?

First line is your name.
Second line is your address.
The box is for comments.

I think that actual Japanese readers is what they are looking for. I could support the manga, but there is no possibiblity of me buying it anyway.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Exclamation
NOOO!
I'm definitley supporting Takei-sama. I dont understand! The last volume! I mean, it would make sense if it was the middle of a series...but the VERY LAST BOOK...what's going on?
And to the other people: Shaman King wouldnt be Shaman King without Manta-chan. Embarassed Being the fangirl I am, I cant have you insult him! Razz
*goes off to sign form*
Sure, they most likely are looking for the japanese Jump readers, but they might see just how popular it is if they get signatures from around the globe. The LEAST we can do is add to the list to show Takei-sama that we care. I'm right behind you, Takei-sama!
*ACTUALLY goes off to sign form*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
Regarding this being the last volume, I'm not particularly sure its what Hiroyuki Takei intended to be the last volume. Serialization was suspended in Shonen Jump, so this is probably the last volume of material that was published, and knowing that it was the last volume Takei may have thrown together a closing chapter (as was done for Gunnm when it was first cancelled). But, if I'm correct, it is still essentially mid series...

-t
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
I think that everyone, regardless of whether they like Shaman king or not, should sign. I mean *I* would sign a form like that for almost *any* manga, just cos I know that there's gonna be a lota sad people if it stopped. Unless of course it was something like Evil's Return.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3