• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your least favorite DVD packaging?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your LEAST favorite packaging?
I am a spambot!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Litebox
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
StackPak/Spindle
69%
 69%  [ 79 ]
Thinpak
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Digipak
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Alphapak/Book format
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Funimation Viridian Set
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Singles
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 113

kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Per classicalzawa's request:

What is your least favorite DVD packaging?

Examples:

LiteBox

StackPak

The LiteBox only overlaps two discs. The StackPak will stack all 6 discs on a spindle.

Thinpak.

Digipak.

Alphapak

I have no link to a Funimation Viridian Set because I couldn't find one (I'm assuming it's the one that used cardboard sleeves?), and I believe they've been discontinued anyways, since they were so poorly received.

I hope I didn't miss any, but it's entirely possible I did, hence "other."
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
My particular choice is Spindle. I hate these with a passion. Who wants to continuously rotate discs all the time? More chances to get damaged and scratched.

Runner up would be digipak, as my sets always seem to have broken plastic pieces and then the discs fall off. Or they're on so tight they're nearly impossible to pry off.

I have no Viridian sets, so I can't judge on those, although they do sound pretty bad.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Thankfully I haven't purchased anything that arrived with a spindle of discs, but for me that would hands down be the worst of the bunch. Like you said, it's just not a good idea for the discs to be in contact with another disc while having the ability to rotate or spin.

Digipaks are kind of nice, but it's true that they suddenly become a lot worse if anything goes wrong. I think Hollywood abuses these more than anyone else, but I do have a few rare anime releases that came in this type of package and I have to be careful with them. My El Hazard OVA set also has paperboard on the exterior rather than plastic, so there's some wear on the corners as well. That's the other problem.

Mercifully I haven't purchased any viridian collections, but I have bought a couple SAVE editions and they are the type that have the extra "page" of discs in the middle that are hinged inside the case. Those are not bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, there is only one entry on the list. The rest have their cons, of course, but the stack pack is just pure evil and have should be outlawed.

(company blocks photobucket, so I'll wing the type from here)

Following this may be the litebox, provided this is the case which has a double-stack system on each side/flap where one DVD overlaps another, and the first in the series is always under the second.

I'm not fond of the "book style", either, but only because those heavy plastic inserts often break too easily.

After that, I couldn't care less how they're packed, though I absolutely love the double-sided thinpak FUNimation uses. It's no work for me after this point.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Stack-packs are just terrible! I remember one time I opened a stack-pack and I lost my grip on the case, my discs were everywhere! I'm happy I don't have many of them at all.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
For me, it was a tough choice between the cardboard Viridian sets and of course, the spindle packs. But I ultimately went with the Viridian sets because at least with the spindle packs, something is holding them in. That isn't just cardstock paper.

But they both have my ire, no doubt about it
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Stackpack/Spindle - its just . . . just wrong. So horrible I have no words. Fortunately I only have one and when I saw I didn't believe it. I thought "no could be that dumb!" Yet there it was. Likea stack of cheaply bought CDs. *shudders*

Interesting to note that "I am a spambot" is number one.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
I abhor stackpaks.

I hate them so much, that I swapped the Complete Collection packaging with the sub-only packaging for Clannad & After Story. (Though I'm also intending to get an R3 artbox for the show to encase the entire series in, so it wasn't the sole reason.)
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I bought my first stackpak a little while ago. It was Moribito. I was so scared that the disks would break as I pulled them off of the spindle that once I did I never put them back on. The hatred they receive is well deserved.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree with all the posters who have commented on the Spindle pak I am not sure what it was even created for other than to damage your discs, the concept for space and packaging to be as inexpensive as possible worked but on the consumer end the results are terrible. It is a hassle to get a disc out form the bottom.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Who's the wise guy that said Digipaks? Speak up so I can tell you the error of your ways. Unless you dislike stacked digipaks, but those are the black sheep of the digipak family, so you can't judge them all based on those types.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Stackpacks/spindles are the work of Satan. My order of Clannad came coupled with an order of a new DVD case. I really don't mind it with my games because after you install it, you only need the one disk.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I also chose the stackpack as my least favorite.
I wonder how many of the people who did not choose stackpack have just not encountered one yet. I have been lucky enough to receive only one, so far.

The Moribito stackpack has 8 discs on the spindle. The first thing that I did after I opened the case was to carefully remove the discs and put them into thinpak cases. Unfortunately I did not have any double thinpaks, which is my favorite type of package right now.

Last edited by Touma on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Stack-packs. Whoever thought it was an excellent idea needs to be shot in the kneecaps. The one Princess Tutu boxset I have is a stack-pack and the holder/spindle makes it hard to take the discs out. I always fear of breaking the DVDs when I try to gently pop them out.

Oh and I HATE double sided-discs. Hate them with a burning passion. I was upset when I opened my Vampire Knight boxset to find double sided-discs inside. Those can get damaged so easily and they look so boring to the eyes.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Depending on price, I generally don't worry too much about packaging, but stackpaks are the worst. I did not mind too much with Moribito because I saved a lot, and being a dramatic show even if I love it I won't be rewatching it constantly. Unfortunately, Sentai is going to stackpaks at a fairly high price point IMO.

As to liteboxes, why can't everyone use the kind that I got with my When They Cry and Rozen Maiden/Rozen Maiden Traumend sets which have no overlaps? This is because they have 2 flaps. They have one disc inside the front cover, one on each side of each flap, and the last inside the back cover and the case is still the same size as a standard DVD case.

I guess my favorite would be singles + artbox when I can afford them (and when I can get them). Since I own a house I have the space for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3