• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Furtype #1 in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
IanC wrote:
Toboe wrote:
unasked for alliance with a fandom for which there is unparalelled disdain, furries.

Ill probably regret asking this, but what is furries?

Saw this on MTV once, basically they're ossessed with fur or smething and it's kinda sick. There's fandom, convention and everything.

For the record, the person that made the short had a "agenda" against Gays and some of the footage of the cons actually violated copyright laws (It was taken from a video sold at that very con they showed that was copyrighted) according to a friend that's into Furries. MTV has never showed it again after the initial showing.

As for the fandom itself, much like Anime and Manga, it has both it's good side and it's bad side. It can range from dressing up as an anthro animal just for fun (compare this to Cosplay in our Genre) to Vore (Fantasy of being eaten by another animal or monster, almost akin to Tentical Rape in Hentai.).

Personally, seeing Furtype's website and the comapny behind it is revolting to this passing fan of Furries. Mostly the artwork is amaturish at best, in stark comparision to some other notable Furry Artists (I won't name names just in case some of you decide to google for them, plus I don't wanna violate TOS for linking to some sites that have Sexually Explicit Material.) Then again, personally, I find very few Furry Artists even stand up to being "acceptable" as most of the stuff I see is amaturish or "alternative."
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
You're right, the art is disgusting and distasteful. I've seen much better drawn furries that look almost professionally done. This website is just done by a person who has no eye for art.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote

IanC wrote:
Toboe wrote:
unasked for alliance with a fandom for which there is unparalelled disdain, furries.

Ill probably regret asking this, but what is furries?

Last edited by Twage on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
A cheap site with cheap art hosted on Geocities with Hotmail addresses for submissions and orders. Will it surprise anyone in a few months when the operator disappears along with the site and the money of any suc- subscribers?

Edit: BTW, click the link... the chart's gotten bigger. *g*
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's quite fair to characterize all furries/furry art as disgusting or sexually deviant. The mass media just has a tendency to focus on the more titillating aspects of any fandom...this was certainly true of anime/manga, and still is. Do we really need to put down other fandoms? =/

Furries may have no direct ties with anime fandom, but I do think there are a lot of parallels between furry fandom and the doujinshi scene in Japan...lots of furries are animation fans, self-publish fanzines and comics, hold conventions to sell them, and many are parodies of their favorite cartoons. And just like doujinshi, some are adult.

There may not be 'furry anime' per say, but I'm sure Inu Yasha, Bagi, or Nuku Nuku are popular with a lot of furries, as are many Disney features.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:

This is so far the best response to this travesty.

Furries go home.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Twage wrote:

This is so far the best response to this travesty.

Furries go home.

Agreed.
Oh, and your chart is missing Magic The Gathering fans Wink

Last edited by Kagemusha on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
s_j wrote:

There may not be 'furry anime' per say, but I'm sure Inu Yasha, Bagi, or Nuku Nuku are popular with a lot of furries, as are many Disney features.

Don't forget Felicia and Aisha Clan-Clan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much bashing....

Personally I would agree with s_j and Haiseikoh 1973 on this. There's no reason to look on another fandom with such a maligned point of view. Sure, there are some really sad and pathetic individuals in "furrydom," but I've met some really sad and pathetic anime fans over the years as well.

What's the difference between someone who likes to dress up as a cat, and someone who likes to dress up as Digi Charat?

Of course, there are furries that are in it for sexual excitement.... its a bit odd to me... but then, we have a large number of lolicom and Moe fanatics in anime....

I always loved that chart...

-t
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:

I beg to disagree with Zac, this (^) is by far the best response to this travesty.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh why tempest did you post this article up? Is this newsworthy?

The website itself can bring eye cancer.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
It really is the greatest chart ever, but I find myself in 3 different places. ^^;

I like furry things (e.g. plushies, real live pet aminals), but I don't think I could be considered a furry. However, I occasionally wear a tail from a low-end cat costume to anime club, but that's partly because I want to milk the thing for all its worth.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The art is well done in those links, but I don't care for the sexual-ness of it. I have always liked anthropomorphic characters since I was a kid, and I really like some of the good furry art out there, but the people who are dressed up or are otherwise convinced that they're an animal are beyond frightening to me. Though, I suppose there are worse fetishes, like freaky violent snuff stuff.

Kusanagi-sama, if you're interested in anthro art I'd really recommend artists Kyoht www.kyoht.com and Goldenwolfen www.goldenwolfen.com. Their styles are much more realistic than most fur stuff and neither of them do any sexual pictures. Beautiful work.

Unlike the website of that zine thing which this post is about, which burned my eyes beyond compare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8