• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry GN 12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Amazing review, I completely agree. The torture scenes are beautifully drawn and I love the way Houjyou uses the panels.
This is definitely one of my favorite arcs, GN 13 has arrived a few days ago, I can't wait to read it!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
Since Funimation is not renewing its license of the first season of the anime, and has no intention of acquiring the following seasons, there's no telling if any other company will pick it up. As far as delving into the stories that take place after the first anime season, or specifically the "answer" arcs, I believe this manga version of the story is what we're going to get. We're still a long ways away from reaching that point, but once we do not only do we find the eye-opening answers to everything but towards the end it also becomes more about spoiler[the characters banding together to end the cycle of tragedies and cosmic resets and literally fight for a happy ending, and that's where it gets at its most exciting]. If Yen Press keeps continuing where Funimation couldn't in the long run, they have my heartfelt thanks.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in this series for awhile, and reviews like this really make me want to pick it up. Someday...someday...
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Since Funimation is not renewing its license of the first season of the anime, and has no intention of acquiring the following seasons, there's no telling if any other company will pick it up. As far as delving into the stories that take place after the first anime season, or specifically the "answer" arcs, I believe this manga version of the story is what we're going to get. We're still a long ways away from reaching that point, but once we do not only do we find the eye-opening answers to everything but towards the end it also becomes more about spoiler[the characters banding together to end the cycle of tragedies and cosmic resets and literally fight for a happy ending, and that's where it gets at its most exciting]. If Yen Press keeps continuing where Funimation couldn't in the long run, they have my heartfelt thanks.

I asked Yen Press a couple of days ago and they said they do intent to release the rest of the answer arcs. As soon as they've decided on the release dates, they're posted on their website.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
IMO the Eye Opening arc was one of Higurashi's best. I love Shion's descent into darkness. We saw it before in Cotton Drifting, but we never saw it from her point of view until now.

I only like Curse Killing and Massacre more because those two had the abusive uncle. Those stories were heart-shattering because of how realistically the abuse was portrayed.
zaldar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The original games you can get from mangagamer and they will finish the story. The art leaves much to be desired but it does expand on the story somewhat. You have to get over that it is basically a novel and not a game (as that you have no choices ever) but it is interesting.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This review was excellent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1