• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu to Stream U.S. Debut of Nura Season 2 on Sunday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
If this is true, I can't wait. I've been really looking forward to the second season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
720p or I'll watch it elsewhere. I hope it won't be one of those 360p kinda things like with Toriko on Hulu
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome

Hulu plays videos at either 360p or 480p but HuluPlus provides a 720p option.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
720p or I'll watch it elsewhere. I hope it won't be one of those 360p kinda things like with Toriko on Hulu

If you only got 360p from Hulu, you're doing something wrong. I just tried Toriko and had no problem getting 480p.

As for 720p, that is only available with Hulu Plus, and I am not certain it applies to all programs on the site.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Well if this was meant to be one of Viz's AX announcements I imagine their very angry right now.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
i liked season one.
enjoyed this show.
glad to see they have season 2 on hulu hope it's played on viz as well since i saw season one there.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Viz Media has confirmed the streaming premiere.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Damnit, another viz title. I'm not going to be able to watch this.
FanOfManyAnime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation and Crunchyroll can release their anime internationally, why not Viz?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Funimation does not stream outside of USA and Canada as far as I know. Crunchyroll can because its #1 focus is streaming, whereas Viz Anime's top priority is the home video market.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Hulu = USA only. Tired of VIZ doing Hulu only for R1 releases since gives no option except to buy the DVDs in order to see it.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
FanOfManyAnime wrote:
If Funimation and Crunchyroll can release their anime internationally, why not Viz?

Megiddo wrote:
Funimation does not stream outside of USA and Canada as far as I know. Crunchyroll can because its #1 focus is streaming, whereas Viz Anime's top priority is the home video market.

FUNi usually only has a R1 license, they do DVD distribution in R1 so it's normal for them to not have a license outside of R1, otherwise there would be issues with local distributors trying to acquire a license.

Viz however has the same R1 licenses but they make absolutely no attempt to stream to anyone but the US despite the fact that their license allows them to stream outside of just the US and they do distribution outside of just the US. FUNi at least has experimented with two self-streaming services, has a few series specific pages like onepieceofficial which usually self-stream the most recent, and has a YouTube account.

That being said, I'm throughly annoyed that they just released a new Toriko episode and suddenly on their beta site which has been entirely self-streaming since I started using it, and it's suddenly a US only Hulu video and they have no release on their YouTube like what happened with Aria. [Edit] It seams now that the video on their beta site has changed to be self-streamed, so it seams sorta just like a fallback till they get that done.

Far as I'm concerned as someone outside the US, Viz is a black hole for ongoing series. If FUNi licenses it, they usually make an attempt at streaming it and they've been moderately good at getting stuff outside of US only. When one of a few others license it The Anime Network has picked up some of them. When no-one licenses it outright there's a good chance CR will take it. But when Viz licenses it, no-one else gets it and if Viz streams it at all it's only on Hulu with that arbitrary US only policy despite Viz having a license to stream outside of just the US, precluding anyone from streaming it where I can see it.
I haven't seen a single episode of Tiger and Bunny. I'm already forgetting what the trailer CR had up was like. And I've got no interest in buying a DVD in this state... goodbye series I would have probably watched if someone had actually streamed it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1