• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Talks About Battle Angel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So, this will take another decade to figure out?
Vance1982

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope not. I am a big fan of the manga and hope that the movie won't look like the live action version of Cutie Honey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vukir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote
For the love of all things holy... Do not let it look like the live action Cutie Honey!

On the other hand... I really don't want him to turn Alita into a smaller android of Dark Angel... IMHO, I think the movie could be done really well (Since the first manga series of Battle Angle was amazing). But, I think he will need to work hard to prevent something like 'G-Saviour: The Movie' from happening.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
You have to remember that this will at least be American produced ($$), by the guy who made the Terminator movies, and seemingly at least somewhat faithful to the original story, so it's got a solid chance of being decent enough.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok then, this movie should be excellently done, i'm trusting Cameron for all that he is worth. It seems like he still wants to do it all and do it all right, i certainly hope so. Hmm, cg gally? bah that is tricky, very tricky, i know it can be pulled off

say i liked the cutie honey movie <.<;; just watched it

but ok, dif genres, should not be done the same way.

hmm first two books in movie one? sounds liek the anime series, really, i know there's soem stuff that can be knocked off, but i hope he understands why they are there and has the series progress and develop nicely, not to mention lots of real cool action and drama.

and please, cameron, do last order as well, that's the real ending x_x
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm Alita in CG? Hopefully she'll look real like. Since the movie it's going to be based on the first two manga which means Hugo will be in it. lol An actor playing as Hugo has to kiss Alita eventhough she isn't really there. Hopefully Cameron will develop the relationship between Hugo and Alita the anime was meh the manga was decent but it could have been more flesh out between the two.
NetDiver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
My take on the coming Gunnm movie is that it's an adaption of the manga, not a remake. I expect a lot of things to change so I think it's way too early start saying that it'll be based on the first two volumes of the manga. In my oppinion making Alita in CG isn't really that much of a surprice. Gollum in Lord of the Rings and the coming Appleseed show that its possible to create characters digitally and still keep them believable. And lets face it, some of the martial arts stunts that Alita perform in the manga are almost impossible to recreate without CG. Anyway I'm really happy that the movie is in the making. We have a director who has passion for the title and lots of cash, what can go wrong Wink!
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that He is doing this for the soul reason that he can't come up with any thing original .. and this is the same set up that he tried with that Fox "Battle Angel" type show... Cameron is a hack... and now all the Fanboys will get to see this great manga dipped in shit and placed onthe line with other movies like AVP and RE. Enjoy... you fat bastards
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
It should be noted that He is doing this for the soul reason that he can't come up with any thing original .. and this is the same set up that he tried with that Fox "Battle Angel" type show... Cameron is a hack... and now all the Fanboys will get to see this great manga dipped in shit and placed onthe line with other movies like AVP and RE. Enjoy... you fat bastards

Yes, I'm sure James Cameron has run out of ideas and decided to adapt a manga especially so he can piss off fanboys who condem anything that isn't Japanese. Of course he is going to make it horrible despite the fact that he does have a very good track record with movies like this. I don't think I could say it any better.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
i dunno, AVP was good, realy built upon the theories and ideas that it was based upon, and it was written based upon existing comics and a video game so it not out of the blue. Them real data they using hehe. I can agree it lacked abit here and there, but it was quite enjoyable for the money maker it was.

and if i was rich and made many good movies and was an anime fan, i'd adapt a japanese series too, gunnm deserves some respect (at least where the anime lacked) so i want to see his attempt for the sake of it being an attempt. Pass or fail, who would you rather do it? someone who wasn't a fan or as popular or as rich?

I'll watch it no matter what, same with the ev amovie coming ... eventually, heh. Show me what ya got cause i dunno what to expect. Them my two cents and my casual chat slang to boot.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I think you should at least give James Cameron a chance before you bite his head off. The news clip sadi he's been workin on this Battle Angel film for the last couple of years.

I do believe that James Cameron is a fan of BAA, and if that's true combined with his track record Battle Angel is in good hands. James Cameron is a hell of a lot of cuts above someone like Paul Anderson (AVP, Resident Evil etc). Tell the truth I'd have to put him up their with the greats like John Carpenter, Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas etc.

How on earth can you argue against a big screen BA film, possibly followed by a few more down the line? And what greater way to bring in new fans that have never heard of Alita? You never know, if BA is a success not only does it put anime and manga on the map again, but we could see other potential manga getting picked up by studios to adapt into hollywood films. Seems to be happening already with japanese horror, so why not manga and anime too?

I doubt if you'd say no, if you had written or drawn Alita. Chances to have a book turned into a film are rare, especially in manga circles.

If this BA film goes well I'd like to see a blockbuster Kiseiju or Guyver film, especially after special effect like those Spiderman 2 and I Robot. Maybe it's just a matter of time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Live-action Guyver?

I'd only see that if it stars Mark Hamill and has a special effects budget of about $6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
hmm? live action guyver was faithful to the manga tho, i thought it was good b movie sci fi

2 films exist allready
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This is the same guy that produced Titanic, one of the most horrible movies of all time (Did we really need a 3 Hour movie about some ship sinking?).

Until I hear Cameron doesn't cast DiCrapio in any BAA role and produce a quality product, i'm remaining completely skeptical.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Cameron talks alot of BS. He also said somewhat recently that he wanted to do another Aliens movie. I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited by jsyxx on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5