• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Upward Spiral

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, Saikano. The greatest show of all time. To this day I can still only watch one episode at a time because I know where it all ends up. Any more than that, and I'm drinking my way through a half-rack of Kirin Ichiban and crying about how life sucks. Why torture yourself like that, you say? Because the show is that good.

BTW, I like the new section headers, Bamboo! Where'd you get those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:11 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed watching Submarine 707R. The 3D animation isn't perfect (the subs still look brand new after battles), but it completely blows Blue Submarine No. 6 out of the water. And it has a pretty good English dub to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Ah, Saikano. The greatest show of all time.
No it's not, but, IMO, it is one of them Very Happy .
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:51 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Woohoo! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed watching Submarine 707R. The 3D animation isn't perfect (the subs still look brand new after battles), but it completely blows Blue Submarine No. 6 out of the water.

Looks like I have to watch it too. Is the discount still applicable in your GameStop, A7? There isn't any new anime in GS around here (only with not-so-cheap used ones; I can buy new ones in Best Buy next to it with only 10-15% more) Mad , so if it's available in your GameStop I'd like to pay you a visit. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frijoles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about the 707R dub is this.

Last edited by frijoles on Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yori Aoshi? That series is still going on? Shocked
Guess those characters will never get laid.......Just kidding....

I love those new headline pictures....

And i really loved Now and then Here and There.
Is SaiKano really that much like it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Looks like I have to watch it too. Is the discount still applicable in your GameStop, A7? There isn't any new anime in GS around here (only with not-so-cheap used ones; I can buy new ones in Best Buy next to it with only 10-15% more) Mad , so if it's available in your GameStop I'd like to pay you a visit. Wink

The discount is still applicable, but GameStop is no longer ordering new anime titles. Best places to get Submarine 707R would be Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Last edited by areaseven on Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Bamboo, I noticed that your two Shelf Worthy titles were also mentioned in Anime Insider #18 as two of the top 50 anime DVDs we must own (Saikano was #46 and Fruits Basket was #10). Did you happen to write those reviews for AI as well?

Saikano is definitely one of the most depressing series in the market, but it might be one of the best love stories in anime history. This was the one title I was debating on adding to my collection because there were many mixed reviews. At first, I got turned off by Chise's apologetic nature, the sometimes sketchy animation, and the slow pace of the first two episodes. But I'm glad I stuck with the series, and I felt sorry for what had happened to Chise and all the pain that she had to endure. I admire Shuji for the courage that he showed thoroughout the series, and it proves how powerful love can be.
While the final episode was tragic (but I felt a bit predictable), it was Episode 9 spoiler[(when Akeme died in Shuji's arms)] that convinced me to add this wonderful story to my collection. Thank you, Bamboo, foe exposing me to this great series.

Fruits Basket is simply a pleasure to watch. Just like Chise, I also felt sorry for Tohru and what she had to go through. To have so many tragic events thrown at you all at once and still maintain a positive attitude shows the great strength of her character. In many ways, Tohru and Chise are very much alike.

The new column headings are OK; nothing spectacular.

Once again, another great column Very Happy

FYI: Whether you like it or not, Sister Princess IS harem. And I'm one of the many that can't wait for Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien to be licensed here, but that series is based on a hentai PC dating game, and there isn't a strong demand for anime based on dating sims.

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=980
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
One thing that must be said about Spiral, if you want to know what exactly the Blade Children are, you're going to have to wait until volume eleven of the manga, though if you ask me it's worth it. ^^ Spiral really does get batter as it gets farther into the series, and the manga is even better then the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
I wish Gungrave wouldn't go from interesting to suck fest. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
I wish Gungrave wouldn't go from interesting to suck fest. Sad

Hang on, it only gets worse from here. And a lot worse, at that...

Also, what's with these names? Blood War? Necrolyzed? Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever stuck by the fansubs in terms of translation..."Brad Wong" and "Necro-Rise" sound much better. Hell, one of them's even an actual name, for Heaven's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vance1982

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
What, no DN Angel review this week? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Vance1982 wrote:
What, no DN Angel review this week? Sad

AnimeOnDVD.com did a DNAngel review.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3478.php
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Was just talking with a friend about Sai Kano when we stopped by the local anime shop today. I keep on wanting to check out Sai Kano, but I keep hearing how depressing it is. Of course, those are my favorite type of love stories, but I dunno. Also, when friends introduced me to my last gf, they met me at our anime club. What were we showing that day? Sai Kano. It was kinda a sign of things to come I guess. Wonderful, beautiful, but sad. So as if it wasn't wonderful and sad enough, I'm sure I'll ahve even more wonderfully depressing feelings watching it.

-Xenos

Last edited by The Xenos on Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
oops. double post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2