• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2011

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I just finished listening to the show, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Smile Some of those "prizes" sounded ghastly, though.

My 10-year-old son was listening to the podcast in the background while he was playing on his Nintendo DS, and he said he liked Zac. In his words, Zac was "awesome."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Real good podcast. Sounds like a lot of fun was had.

I wonder what that one guy who was talking out of turn and had Zac shut him up during the "the big series in last 2 years that haven't been picked up" was saying, just out of morbid curiosity.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
About the Japanese guests, maybe ANNCast could try to get the ones that speak English fluently. I recall Mike Toole talking about this subject in an Anime World Order episode a long time ago. I bet the people from this forum should know quite a few interesting Japanese industry-related people who can participate in an interview without a translator.

The funny prizes were a great idea.
FH14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, when you guys had Charlene Ingram from FUNi on a few weeks ago, she said that Japan and the United States had the same Blu-Ray region and the Japanese don't want the Japanese audience buying the cheaper American Blu-Rays, hence the delays and DVD-only releases (or DVD first, then months later Blu-Ray). On a semi-related note, she's very much become a meme in Hetalia fandom that's for sure.

I never understood why questions at panels aren't always screened. I remember watching a Hetalia panel online and people were asking questions like "When is Hong Kong gonna appear in the anime?" and I was like Really? If the information can be found online or the question is about production back in Japan, don't bother asking. There are people with much better questions. (I know its just Hetalia but come on.)

Some of those prizes sounded terrifying. It got a bit terrifying in general in some parts (I guarantee I'll have a night terror tonight about going to see Cars 2 with Vic McDerpaderp and he'll get up and sing all the songs in the soundtrack himself TT^TT)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
So RightStuf only grabbed the DVD version of Nadesico? What a waste; sure it might bit a tad harder to find than a few years ago, but this is a big missed opportunity.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thud? Blue Exorcist is selling really, really well. Maybe it's the thud of money smacking the ground you're hearing.

And I agree about Nadeisco being DVD only is sad/stupid. Like you said, it's made specifically for BD, and it's not super OOP, so it's kind of a dud of an announcement.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I was there! (Second person, and later one about Blue Exorcist). Lot of fun, the prizes where hysterical. (And I got a K-On DVD out of it, so hey.)

I ended up getting the Hetalia cell phone charm and the Naruto doll, as well because people didn't want them.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Zac's exaggerating a bit about the amount of drama in the DMG forums. The biggest problems there are the general lack of organization, technical burps, and a pretty sparse flow of official information.

The only user-generated drama I saw was a person ranting about it being the end of print manga, and one teenager bitching about not being able to participate due to being underage. Other than that, people seemed to be getting along well enough. Confused
Vapors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Thud? Blue Exorcist is selling really, really well. Maybe it's the thud of money smacking the ground you're hearing.

How can that be? The DVDs haven't been released in the states yet? Or are you talking about the manga? Also, I view this as a sub only first release then when the show has completed its run, it'll get a collection release with a dub (maybe if the sales deem it financially feasible). That was my take on it when they announced it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about the Japanese sales. First week sales of DVDs and BDs combined for 18,120 units sold. It's not Bakemonogatari or Infinite Stratos, but it's more than respectable. So for Justin say it hit with a thud is kind of weird.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm talking about the Japanese sales. First week sales of DVDs and BDs combined for 18,120 units sold. It's not Bakemonogatari or Infinite Stratos, but it's more than respectable. So for Justin say it hit with a thud is kind of weird.

That was a fun anncast, and their prizes we all kind of good...

Blue Exorcist anime sure seems paced for 24 episodes (or more) but I've not heard that its scheduled beyond the current 12. I like it but it hasn't developed that far yet which has me a bit disappointed.

As for WTF hasn't this been licensed yet - how about Bakemongatari?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

Blue Exorcist anime sure seems paced for 24 episodes (or more) but I've not heard that its scheduled beyond the current 12. I like it but it hasn't developed that far yet which has me a bit disappointed.

As far as I know, Blue Exorcist isn't scheduled for any number of episodes, it's like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece. It will never end until the manga does. Could be wrong.

But it's definitely gonna be way way beyond 12 episodes.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
People clapping more for Bleach than Naruto? Confused Maybe they like the dub more or something, because while Naruto's fanbase is about evenly split regarding the quality of current events, Bleach's fanbase is pretty much mostly just people just wanting to see it finish and not particularly being invested in anything that is going on.

See, this is why FUNimation is taking so long getting certain shows out, the tsunami made things very difficult. So guys, please stop asking, "will FUNimation even release X?"

Yeah, I would not use Miyazaki to try to make someone an anime fan. Showing a person one of his films is like showing them a regular Western animation film, the person will go, "okay, that was good/great/excellent, but how does this prove animation can be deep and not aimed at kids necessarily?"

Blue Exorcist really should be getting a dub. There are plenty of shows that probably won't sell much and do warrant a sub-only release, but BE probably isn't one of them.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
. Showing a person one of his films is like showing them a regular Western animation film, the person will go, "okay, that was good/great/excellent, but how does this prove animation can be deep and not aimed at kids necessarily?"
You mean to say that you think all of his films lack depth+are aimed at the kiddies?

I call bull. Laughing Idk which ones you've seen, and I can't say the same about his more recent works, but a good number of his earlier works are surely not aimed towards children. They carry a good weight of depth to them as well, mostly relating to man and the negative physical manifestations their actions have on nature.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Great show! I wish I could have been there! Don't know what I would have asked but would have been fun anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3