• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Film Slated for Next January

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
January...I hope I can wait that long ><
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure all Berserk fans out there are very happy about the news.

Let's hope that it'll come out okay.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
And Susumu Hirasawa is doing the music... right?
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
GSC doing Berserk figures? That should be interesting. I thought that Art of War had a monopoly on them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

One can only hope. Cool

A movie at least means that the graphic content can probably make it through intact.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

One can only hope. Cool

A movie at least means that the graphic content can probably make it through intact.

OVAs really would have been the best route overall.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

The Encyc. entry has him listed as composer. But who knows how accurate that is based on what little we actually know of the project in general.

Also, listed under animation is Oriental LIght and Magic, the same company that produced the TV series. I seriously hope they have a really high budget, as their work on the series was pretty low-budget and not conducive to Miura's art as it could be. I was wishing Madhouse would animate since they've always been great at drawing bloody violence, but this article also lists Studio 4°C, which could be interesting in itself.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see why people are pissed about it being delayed when it'll take even longer for the manga to get somewhere. Rolling Eyes
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Mehhh... I'm pretty disappointed. They were allways talking about big news/release in summer but a release was geting unlikely because of lack of info... still we get +6 months for the cinema release now ... god knows when the dvd release will be...
VyseLegend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Only a film? I was hoping for a series of films or OAVs. As it stands this will probably just cover the early arcs where the series covered as well....

Either way, a new Berserk kicks so much ass. A super accurate movie of the lead up to the two main characters' breakoff is welcomed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Anybody hear what the nature of the film will be? Like will it be a sequel to the series or an alternate retelling or something totally different?

To a certain extent it doesn't really matter to me what it turns out to be, I'm just jazzed there is SOMETHING Berserkian coming out.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm both excited and worried. Could a single film cover all of the original berserk series? Or is it only going to be a sequel? A sequel might give a bit of closure to the series. Or maybe it might be an extra untold story about the band of the hawk? Maybe the film is a setup for a television series?

I would love to see the old series told again with current technology, but again in a tv series format.
Dangerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm both excited and worried. Could a single film cover all of the original berserk series? Or is it only going to be a sequel? A sequel might give a bit of closure to the series. Or maybe it might be an extra untold story about the band of the hawk? Maybe the film is a setup for a television series?

I would love to see the old series told again with current technology, but again in a tv series format.

Chances are the movie's going to be a retelling of the Golden Age arc (or the first series). I'm kind of skeptical, with them having said this would be THE faithful adaption of Berserk. In relation, I absolutely loved FMA Brotherhood, but my biggest criticism is that they rushed the first segment to "get to the new stuff", which I'm hoping they don't do with this one. It took 19 episodes of the original anime series, minus filler, to tell that story, while -still- having left out important parts of the plot. If they try cramming all of that into a two-hour feature, I'm not feeling too optimistic. One also has to wonder if they're going to include the black swordsman arc; will they begin the movie with the snake apostle and the count? Or will they cut straight to chronological storytelling, and then cover black swordsman in the coming animation projects beyond the movie? TOO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

Also: Not sure if you knew or not, but the first anime series was an adaption of a (still ongoing) manga. Perhaps not from this movie, but do expect a continuation of the events after the eclipse from the first series in this animation project.

Last edited by Dangerr on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Dangerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
VyseLegend wrote:
Only a film? I was hoping for a series of films or OAVs. As it stands this will probably just cover the early arcs where the series covered as well....

Either way, a new Berserk kicks so much ass. A super accurate movie of the lead up to the two main characters' breakoff is welcomed.

It's confirmed that there will be more after the movie(s?). It's just the first part of a berserk animation saga; one that's meant to cover the entire series of the manga. I believe they said a ten year project, though with Miura, it's a very real possibility it may end up being longer. Razz
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Dangerr wrote:
I'm kind of skeptical, with them having said this would be THE faithful adaption of Berserk.

Oh, god does that mean I'd have to put up with watching puck? I liked that the original anime didn't have that little flying pest around. In some ways I think I liked the anime better than the manga as it felt a bit tighter story wise and didn't have any unnecessary fluff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3