• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitch Site: Director Spike Lee in Oldboy Film Talks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDuks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why US film makers need to remake foreign movies. Why don't they just try to market the foreign movie?
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
so.. whatever happened to the spielberg version.. with will smith i think?

guess i missed it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
If Spike Lee dose this it mite turn out well
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Prediction:

The main character will be black, all of the villains will be white, the girl will LOOK black but spoiler[end up being his mix-race daughter and he was imprisoned in the first place for hooking up with a white lady]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
JDuks wrote:
I don't understand why US film makers need to remake foreign movies. Why don't they just try to market the foreign movie?

Probably because it's on a foreign language, and ya don't really wanna dub live-action, unless it's the ol' kung-fu-ploitation movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Unholy: Stop stereotyping. Spike can do white movies just as well as any white director. Look at The Inside Man and Summer of Sam.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
JDuks wrote:

uh, you know Asia has been remaking American film. They've been doing this since 2008.

China/HK remake Cellular into Connected in 2008. They also remake High school musical, Blood Simple, and What Women want.

Japan remade Sideways, Ghost (it's co-production with South Korea), and Paranormal Activity (well it's a semi-remake, semi sequel to the American one). Japan has also recently remake a very well-known french film. Japan will also be remaking 2 more American film, An Affair to Rememberand Working Girl.

Also South Korea has announced a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany.

I don't see why people have to complain about US remaking Asian films when Asia is doing the same thing for American film.
Rolling Eyes

To Enurtsol: uh speaking of remake, has there been any more announcement for future American films done by Asia. I'm still waiting for my Japanese remake of the Godfather, Hong Kong remake of Collateral, and maybe a Japanese/Korean remake of Twilight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Prediction:

The main character will be black, all of the villains will be white, the girl will LOOK black but spoiler[end up being his mix-race daughter and he was imprisoned in the first place for hooking up with a white lady]

This.

Whenever I think of Spike Lee, I think of a guy whom has such a Napoleon Complex that all whites are secretly bringing down the black people again to the days where segregation was rampant and lynchings were a daily occurrence. In a sense, a professional troll and a complete racist.

Would I watch such a movie? Hell no.
lelliel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
JDuks wrote:

Probably because it's on a foreign language, and ya don't really wanna dub live-action, unless it's the ol' kung-fu-ploitation movie.

The dubbed live-action tends to be uncanny anyway unless you grew up with it or got used to it.

Not to mention how many people in general like to read their movies?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The thing that gets me is that the the news item is worded this one seems to be meant to be a remake of Park Chan-wook's adaptation, which itself apparently veered away from the source material in a couple major ways.
So it's be an adaptation of an adaptation.

The reason I was okay with the Speilberg project was that it was meant to be it's own adaptation of the manga. Of course this seems to be in it's early stages, I'd assume it'd take bits from both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Sunday: Again, he directed at least two movies with a lily-white cast.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
The thing that gets me is that the the news item is worded this one seems to be meant to be a remake of Park Chan-wook's adaptation, which itself apparently veered away from the source material in a couple major ways.

Couple?

The only thing Park's version has in common with the manga are:

1. The title
2. Guy gets locked up for years
3. Guy hunts down who had him locked up.

I really want to see the story done properly as the suspenseful work that it is.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sunday: Again, he directed at least two movies with a lily-white cast.

Too bad his reputation outshines his feats. Shame too.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
so.. whatever happened to the spielberg version.. with will smith i think?

guess i missed it.

And wasn't there a proposed version before the Spielberg one as well? I think Keanu Reeves was supposed to be in as well, but its been a while, so I am not sure if it ever was made.

On to the topic at hand though, at least Spike Lee would do a decent job with the movie and not make it terrible like so many other anime adaptions in the past and in the present. So for that, I give him credit.

Another plus for Spike Lee is that he would make the Old Boy G rated or PG rated. Although the aspect does indeed sound quite hilarious, I've noticed Spike Lee knows what he is doing, so that is also another plus.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

To Enurtsol: uh speaking of remake, has there been any more announcement for future American films done by Asia. I'm still waiting for my Japanese remake of the Godfather, Hong Kong remake of Collateral, and maybe a Japanese/Korean remake of Twilight.

Not yet. My friends haven't updated me as of yet. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1