• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Shine We Are

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, just amazing, haha. I love reading Shelf Life.
You really have a talent for these witty reviews.
Looks like some good titles this time, I'm so happy you put Eva plat. #3 in "Buy It"... 'cause I will.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Have the antonyms been removed permanently?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Have the antonyms been removed permanently?

Nope. I'm just not bothering to put them in for titles that I don't think need them. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want to work those in with certain titles, I think.

xanbcoo: thanks, I'm glad you like it. Anime smile
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
It's not just an Asian thing. (pop stars learning several languages in order to expand market appeal) Look at Venezuela'a own Shakira© She sings in Spanish, English, and Portuguese!
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It’s been a century since Son Goku saved Earth from the vile clutches of the Shadow Dragons with his shiny balls.

*rotfl* Laughing Laughing
kenshin77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote
Im afraid Utada Hikaru's new cd here in the American market is going to be a failure, I think she should have just released another Japanese Album instead, of releasing a cd out here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:24 am Reply with quote
Those 60s retro images of people holding pikachu dvds or whatever are great.
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
Berserk was a great sereis till the last three episodes.. Evil or Very Mad

Then the randomness kicked in, it pissed me off so much that i couldn't watch it again......

Indeed however....Shelf life is always a joy to read....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
A quick comment on the column's preamble: Never lament a person learning even a little of another language. And what makes all music sound the same is bureaucracy-created "product", not being multilingual.

On the other hand, you win the Bippy Prize for your use of the phrase "shiny balls", and your take on Cyber Team in Akihabara was so enjoyable that I doubt the show can measure up even in cheese value. As always, I look forward to the next installment.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A quick comment on the column's preamble: Never lament a person learning even a little of another language. And what makes all music sound the same is bureaucracy-created "product", not being multilingual.

On the other hand, you win the Bippy Prize for your use of the phrase "shiny balls", and your take on Cyber Team in Akihabara was so enjoyable that I doubt the show can measure up even in cheese value. As always, I look forward to the next installment.
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Wait a sec...

Hasn't the Berserk Box Set been available for quite some time, now? I've seen it on shelves since early this year/late last year. The box art is different, mind you, but stil...
Toboe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
<generic comment kissing Bamboo's ass>
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Eva got into the Buy It section, as I'm a big Eva fan. I hope that the high quality of the Platinum Edition DVDs continues and ADV doesn't get lazy, as I'm definately enjoying them.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
Berserk was a great sereis till the last three episodes.. Evil or Very Mad

Then the randomness kicked in, it pissed me off so much that i couldn't watch it again......

Indeed however....Shelf life is always a joy to read....

Personally, I was amazed by the ending. Well, amazed and distubed. If you think of the first episode, or read even the beginning of the manga, you knew somehting funky would happen. It is told as one big flashback. Plus if you continue the story in the manga, it gets so much more amazing! I've been getting them as they come out in the US, but also getting the Japanese volumes online. It's an epic story and the anime is only the first part of it. After the eclipse, things get so much better.. and by better I mean more messed up.. in a good way.

I also gotta agree with the review that the characters in the show and manga are moving and make the show. The series is really moving and well done if you can see past all the gore which does serve to show how horrible the world is.

As for the box, this is a cheaper collection of the DVDs. For die hard fans like myself as well as my roomates who got me into the show, we'll have to hunt down the older box with it's beautiful art. The Box of War box was one of my early Christmas gifts from my parents as I was worried about having a hard time to find it especially with this fine new version out.

And what better gift is there for the holiday season than the bloody battles and disembowlments of Berserk? Heh. I acutally saw my friend's copy last year and finished watching those wonderfully horrible final eps on Christmas Eve. As if I wasn't already full of that holiday melencholy...

-Xenos
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Another solid column, even with the fancy new headings.

For some reason, Hibari in Cyber Team in Akihabara reminds me of another sugary character that wears too many bright colors - Corrector Yui. Perhaps the Corrector Yui series should be listed as a synonym for Cyber Team.

I'm also enjoying the Eva Platinum discs, as I am new to the Eva universe. And Chrono, like most of the Gonzo titles, keep getting better and better with each show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2