• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Solicits Hipira

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well this should be interesting. I wonder if he's going to put any pessimistic social comentary in this one?
But hey, Neil Gaiman has done several kids books, so why not Otomo?
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Interesting is putting it mildly. As for precedents, hard-boiled detective fiction writer Mickey Spillane also wrote some children's books. I look forward to this if only for the curiosity value...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Madonna wrote a children's book, so why not Otomo? Go Nagai can do one, too, if you ask me. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Go Nagai can do one, too, if you ask me. Razz

During his visit to Taiwan in year 2000, he expressed that we can't protect our children by hiding them from the reality, and manga is the best tool to educate children about the cruelty and darkness of the real world. I agree with him, 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, and the retailers will probably stick it on the shelf next to Akira instead of the children's section.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Madonna wrote a children's book, so why not Otomo? Go Nagai can do one, too, if you ask me. Razz

Well, his first manga was about a school...a perverted school that is. Harenchi Gakuen caused such a fuss that conservative group got it canceled (this was in the 1960's I beleive, so Japan was probobly less tolerant of that stuff). In the last chapter, politicians send the army to shut the school down, but the teachers and students fight back and are massacred. Quite an interesting piece of satire, as ultra violent mangas were generally accepted at this time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:04 am Reply with quote
Don't care about the content, but if it's a children's book, shouldn't it be priced accordingly? I mean at least the Harry Potter books have a decent page count.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhapse you haven't noticed, but Harry Potter lacks pictures and quality paper. Comparing an illustrated story to a lond novel like Harry Potter is kind of pointless.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
areaseven wrote:

Well, his first manga was about a school...a perverted school that is. Harenchi Gakuen caused such a fuss that conservative group got it canceled (this was in the 1960's I beleive, so Japan was probobly less tolerant of that stuff). In the last chapter, politicians send the army to shut the school down, but the teachers and students fight back and are massacred. Quite an interesting piece of satire, as ultra violent mangas were generally accepted at this time.

Shameless School managed to tick off Parents, teachers, government, feminists. It wasn't ONE group. He pissed off most of the country with that one because he marketed to kids when everyone felt the content was for more mature audiences.

As an aside, I always find it interesting that when Americans get concerned with anime/manga values, the response is to say they don't understand that the Japanese are not bothered by sex and nudity; but when the Japanese take issue, it's always some "right wing" group.

The Japanese don't share the West's Judaeo-Christian values, but that's not to say they don't have values or don't get offended when something crosses their values.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
BTW, just found out the price comes from them deciding to solicit it in hardcover.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
I was expecting that. They did that with Sock Monkey: Uncle Gabby and Gaiman's shorts. It's probobly the only way to sell it as a graphic novel, otherwise it would be a thick comic. I like their hardcovers, so I'll probobly get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1