• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Lupin III's 1st Anime Season on DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? Well, looks like I'll be buying this! I always wanted to own Lupin The 3rd on DVD! Smile
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
well thats the last tip I send in.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely buying this, but having it on BD would be so nice *-* Wonder why they were unable to get the BD license.
RTL3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Very cool, definitely going to pick this up. Got to give Lupin III when you can, and when its in print.

Last edited by RTL3 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I'm definitely buying this, but having it on BD would be so nice *-* Wonder why they were unable to get the BD license.

It doesn't say in the article they were unable to get it. However, it's possible they were unable to negotiate for it, or that it was unavailable. Bluray rights also tend to increase the cost of the license, so it's also possible they didn't think it was worth the added cost.

Of course, it's also likely they couldn't get the appropriate masters to do a Bluray release. So far Discotek hasn't done any bluray releases, and I doubt Lupin would be the series they would want to start with, especially given it's relative lack of success in North America.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will include a dub or be subtitled only?
It'd be nice if they brought back the original cast.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I thought the first season was available here. I guess not. I just might buy this.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
xScar wrote:

It doesn't say in the article they were unable to get it. However, it's possible they were unable to negotiate for it, or that it was unavailable. Bluray rights also tend to increase the cost of the license, so it's also possible they didn't think it was worth the added cost.

Of course, it's also likely they couldn't get the appropriate masters to do a Bluray release. So far Discotek hasn't done any bluray releases, and I doubt Lupin would be the series they would want to start with, especially given it's relative lack of success in North America.

Of course, but there must be some decent amount of sales for them first to get First Contact a few years back and now to pick up an actual TV series (given it's not the extraordinarily long Red Coat series, but a TV series nevertheless).

I'm sure the DVDs will look amazing even if it isn't on BD. Everything they've put out so far has.

@trunkschan90
It will definitely be subbed only. Only things they've put out that have had dubs are things they had been dubbed by other companies years ago.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
So is this the season that precedes the one that Geneon put out? I'm thinking it is. Wow - this is kind of like h*ll freezing over, if so! I don't think anyone ever thought they'd put that one out, any more than someone getting Macross 7 or Macross Frontier out of licensing limo.

As for a BD release - uh no, just NO. A anime this old (1971) would like like cr*p on BD. It's kind of like making a letterbox version of the Wizard of Oz (1939). It's actually been done (the Wizard of Oz, that is), for those who don't know, but it really didn't help a thing IMNSHO, seeing the film was made in 4:3 (it pre-dates Widescreen by a good twenty years) and wasn't intended for the Widescreen ratio (there's actually a webpage about this here http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_academy.shtml ). Now a nice master/remaster of the early Lupin III episodes is something I would hope for but I don't think it needs a BD treatment because it would simply make it worse looking than it it already is (they just didn't create animes in the 1970s with High Def in mind and no amount of clean up is going to help that issue).
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This is the series that ran before the one Geneon licensed did. It ran in 1971. I'm kind of guessing it'll look just as good on dvd as it would on bluray given the kind of materials likely available.

trunkschan90 wrote:
I wonder if it will include a dub or be subtitled only?
It'd be nice if they brought back the original cast.

Discotek usually only includes dubs if they're preexisting ones [ie- DNA Angel, Galaxy Express 999, Project A-ko, first 36 FOTNS eps], with subtitled releases for where none exist. I figure we're obscenly lucky to be getting this as it is.
More Lupin III?
From 1971?
Seriously, amazed this is happening, and looking forward to it.

anime#886 btw- check out the credits, this was the first Lupin Miyazaki worked on [ANN lists him as a director for a little over 1/2 the series episodes], with Isao Takahata directing [or collaboarting, given there's only 23 eps] on it as well. Miyazaki did a few eps of the 2nd series that Geneon released, but it looks like this is one of the series the pre-Ghibli duo had a great deal of involvement in.

So this should be a must have release in that respect.

Last edited by Paploo on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
If they get season 2, they should try getting the episodes Geneon dubbed but never released.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
As for a BD release - uh no, just NO. A anime this old (1971) would like like cr*p on BD.

Um, no.
I've seen rips from the Region B Lupin Blu-rays and they look gorgeous.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

As for a BD release - uh no, just NO. A anime this old (1971) would like like cr*p on BD. It's kind of like making a letterbox version of the Wizard of Oz (1939). It's actually been done (the Wizard of Oz, that is), for those who don't know, but it really didn't help a thing IMNSHO, seeing the film was made in 4:3 (it pre-dates Widescreen by a good twenty years) and wasn't intended for the Widescreen ratio (there's actually a webpage about this here http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_academy.shtml ). Now a nice master/remaster of the early Lupin III episodes is something I would hope for but I don't think it needs a BD treatment because it would simply make it worse looking than it it already is (they just didn't create animes in the 1970s with High Def in mind and no amount of clean up is going to help that issue).

You know HD and BD doesn't equal widescreen, right? ~_~

Oz and Lupin both look spectacular on BD, having been remastered flawlessly from the original film.

Lupin III S1 with screenshots @ muhootsaver
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was definitely unexpected, but quite welcome Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

As for a BD release - uh no, just NO. A anime this old (1971) would like like cr*p on BD.

I bought the Japanese Blu-ray releases of Lupin season 1, and they look simply AMAZING. They aren't Full HD, of course (only 720p upscaled to 1080p) but they mastered the episodes into HD very well.

They have a bit of film grain, but like any knowledgeable movie fan will tell you, film grain is a good thing.

In other words, they did this one right. Wish they would release the series on BD here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4