• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Lupin III's 1st Anime Season on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I just hope they don't have issues with the music and logos like Geneon did with red jacket.

jr: The first season of the second series is available here. No other show's been picked up since then.

Groovy. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I believe the original Lupin TV series did get a BD release in Japan recently, so Discotek might be using that master for their DVD release, like how the Discotek's GE 999 movie DVDs uses their respective BD masters rather than the sub-par R2 DVDs Japan got.

Definitely an interesting choice of license, and I won't be surprised if Discotek will be releasing this show in one complete 23-episode set rather than splitting it up 12/11. And I wouldn't put it past Discotek to throw a "Featuring episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki!" promotional line on the back cover or even as a sticker on the shrink-wrap. Come on, who wouldn't do that? Anyway, I'll be buying this and hoping that the Green vs. Red special is next.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait, I love this show so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
You know HD and BD doesn't equal widescreen, right? ~_~

Yes, I do - I was using that as an example of doing something the wrong way. I wasn't sure if this show had been remastered for BD but it seems it has so that takes that argument off the table. Now, if it looks good on BD because of this, then it would be nice if it was coming over in on BD but it's not. The show isn't that well known outside of fandom and cult fandom (i.e. people like Steven Spielberg who are said to be fans) but the trend it if you want Anime on BD you have to buy it from Japan at Japanese prices. N America and Japan are both in the same region for a reason, and that is it. I'm not saying we won't ever get stuff from Japan in BD (we're doing it all the time) but the trend I'm seeing is a lot of shows aren't going to be coming over soon, if ever, because there is a lot more money to be made from making N American fans buy shows at the Japanese price points, if they want BD quality (and your average American viewer is still stuck on DVD on top of that, so there is even less incentive for the smaller companies to pick up BD rights).

Quote:
Oz and Lupin both look spectacular on BD, having been remastered flawlessly from the original film.

Lupin III S1 with screenshots @ muhootsaver

I'm just seeing pictures of the box, not the show and I even turned off my NoScript. Can you point me to where the pictures are actually at over there?
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ach mein Gott! There is no way this is happening! This is impossible! The original Lupin III? Where do I pre-order?

I've seen the first season. It's horrible. The animation is pretty bad (albeit, this was a crappy VHS rip), the writing is worse, and there are a few episodes that I think everyone was smoking some serious vegetation (it was the seventies, after all). But this is a must have for any anime fan. I liken it to Star Trek: The Original Series, which, like Lupin, was actually canceled before it became huge. Sure, TOS is pretty cheesy and but it is a must watch for any Trekkie. Likewise, despite it's flaws, Lupin III Part I is a must watch for any anime fan.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
xScar wrote:
You know HD and BD doesn't equal widescreen, right? ~_~

Yes, I do - I was using that as an example of doing something the wrong way. I wasn't sure if this show had been remastered for BD but it seems it has so that takes that argument off the table. Now, if it looks good on BD because of this, then it would be nice if it was coming over in on BD but it's not. The show isn't that well known outside of fandom and cult fandom (i.e. people like Steven Spielberg who are said to be fans) but the trend it if you want Anime on BD you have to buy it from Japan at Japanese prices. N America and Japan are both in the same region for a reason, and that is it. I'm not saying we won't ever get stuff from Japan in BD (we're doing it all the time) but the trend I'm seeing is a lot of shows aren't going to be coming over soon, if ever, because there is a lot more money to be made from making N American fans buy shows at the Japanese price points, if they want BD quality (and your average American viewer is still stuck on DVD on top of that, so there is even less incentive for the smaller companies to pick up BD rights).

Quote:
Oz and Lupin both look spectacular on BD, having been remastered flawlessly from the original film.

Lupin III S1 with screenshots @ muhootsaver

I'm just seeing pictures of the box, not the show and I even turned off my NoScript. Can you point me to where the pictures are actually at over there?

Average anime fan does have BD, however.

Sadly only three screenshots are listed there.
1 | 2 | 3

And I'm in no way complaining about it not coming over on BD, because I fully understand that Japanese companies have become careful now that we are in the same region. FUNimation is just spoiling us, I suppose.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Cool its sweet that Lupin is come to dvd
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, are we really going that farin the Way Back Machine? Lupin was never a stellar seller over here and we are going back to '71 now? Distotek must be madmen to think that this might work.

*sigh* let me get my checkbook.
Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

I've seen the first season. It's horrible. The animation is pretty bad (albeit, this was a crappy VHS rip), the writing is worse, and there are a few episodes that I think everyone was smoking some serious vegetation (it was the seventies, after all). But this is a must have for any anime fan.

Which means it's a must-have for its historical importance, no? If so, then I'd agree. The only Lupin III TV series I'm reasonably familiar with is this particular season and, although I can acknowledge its influence, I'll admit it wasn't that great. Rather than calling this horrible though, I'd merely say it's very dated but watchable as simple entertainment. Apparently the later productions improved upon the formula, though I've yet to see enough of them to truly confirm or deny that statement.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a red jacket kinda guy but the first season is still solid gold. I'll definitely be picking this up.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Man, are we really going that farin the Way Back Machine? Lupin was never a stellar seller over here and we are going back to '71 now? Distotek must be madmen to think that this might work.

*sigh* let me get my checkbook.
Laughing

LOL. I'm totally buying it, too!

Actually, I've been really happy with the licenses that Discotek has been picking up lately, and I'm one of these "newer" anime fans that entered the fandom in the 2000's. I love the older stuff! I guess maybe it's because one of my first anime fandom finds on the internet was Mike Toole. ----Where is that guy? I would think he would be pretty happy about this...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, can't say I saw that coming. It's been several years, but it's a good show. It's very rare to see older series being re-licensed these days, but it's good to see Lupin the Third is still being licensed even these days.

I actually had the chance to watch Lupin the Third on late night Cartoon Network (which was later named Adult Swim) when Geneon was still called Pioneer. Now back then, Geneon was still in business and it was before Funimation acquired the rights to the show.

I wonder though, are new Lupin OVA's/movies being made these days? The last one I heard was with Case Closed and that was easily a year or two ago.

But I agree, the series would look great in Blu-Ray and would sure be a nice touch. I've only heard of Discotek once before, so I am not sure if they do Blu-rays or not.

Fun fact, first Pioneer/Geneon licensed Lupin the Third, but they went out of business, then Funimation licensed it, but I am guessing the license expired so now it's Discotek turn.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, can't say I saw that coming. It's been several years, but it's a good show. It's very rare to see older series being re-licensed these days, but it's good to see Lupin the Third is still being licensed even these days.

I actually had the chance to watch Lupin the Third on late night Cartoon Network (which was later named Adult Swim) when Geneon was still called Pioneer. Now back then, Geneon was still in business and it was before Funimation acquired the rights to the show.

I wonder though, are new Lupin OVA's/movies being made these days? The last one I heard was with Case Closed and that was easily a year or two ago.

But I agree, the series would look great in Blu-Ray and would sure be a nice touch. I've only heard of Discotek once before, so I am not sure if they do Blu-rays or not.

Fun fact, first Pioneer/Geneon licensed Lupin the Third, but they went out of business, then Funimation licensed it, but I am guessing the license expired so now it's Discotek turn.

Lupin still has yearly TV specials, though the schedule was a bit funky this year. They usually air in the summer, but this years is airing this fall.

Also, Geneon, FUNi, and Discotek all have/had different Lupin licenses. Geneon had the license for the second TV series and a movie or two. FUNimation had licenses for various TV specials and movies. Discotek now has a movie, a tv special, a tv series, and a live action. Smile
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that Discotek puts the whole series in one box. I think that's the only way I would buy the release.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is awesome. Very Happy I have every volume of the second series that Geneon released, but I never imagined that someone would bring over the original series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4