• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Danny Choo [2011-07-13]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
No matter whether you like the guy or not (He's like Marmite in that you love or hate him), he's got a point in that certain anime fans shouldn't force their views on what anime should be on others.

I like all kinds of anime from shoujo to hentai to moe (except yaoi) and I personally have no problem with fanservice.

A good analogy would be something like this: Say you want to buy a car, but there's only one type and one color available. That means that there wouldn't be a wider choice if any at all, whereas with most things like movies, anime, manga and videogames, there is a wide choice in all kinds of genres.

With Mr Choo, I'm not bothered about his personal life and I don't know if it's true or not whether he screwed over people with his Otacool books, but at least he's made people happy with what he's done and he's stepped out of his father's shadow in his own right doing something that he loves. At the end of the day, it's better to do something that you love than spend the rest of your life being miserable and conforming to what society says you should do or dress when you're a certain age (the only exception being that you have to dress a certain way for work or on special occasions)
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard of anything like that before. Do you mind telling me what the whole Otacool book thing was about?
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
I haven't heard of anything like that before. Do you mind telling me what the whole Otacool book thing was about?

Journal Link about Otacool 2 controversy
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I think some of the readers on ANN, who are vocal, have their own idea of what anime "should" be like. They want anime to be like "this."

This is a valid point, and I know I've been guilty of it in the past, but anime, like any other fandom, is a very emotional experience and people get fired up over it (look at sports talk radio, for example). But I had an ulterior motive: I feared that anime would become like the America comic industry, a shallow, repetitive regurgitation of ideas and characters, locked in the conventions of it's own convoluted past until in can no longer sustain itself and reboots the entire franchise. When the bubble was bursting, there were two options: expand to try to get a larger audience of people that could function in normal human society or double down on the core otaku market. And I feared that the growing number of moe shows were trying to tap a well that had already run dry. Even otaku have budget limits, and the emphasis on producing shows for them could have bankrupted the entire industry. Fortunately, the industry finally seemed to realize that, but it was looking grim for a bit. There is nothing wrong with moe shows, but a healthy market needs diversity of choice, and that was my main complaint.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
The phrase "nobody's forcing you to watch" gets 22,000 Google hits; "nobody's forcing you to read" gets 36,900. I'm not too fond of the phrase. It seems to basically be a deflection of criticism, akin to "don't like, don't read" (6,590,000 hits).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The phrase "nobody's forcing you to watch" gets 22,000 Google hits; "nobody's forcing you to read" gets 36,900. I'm not too fond of the phrase. It seems to basically be a deflection of criticism, akin to "don't like, don't read" (6,590,000 hits).

It is not a deflection of criticism. If you don't like a genre of shows or manga you don't have to read it at all. I have no interest in BL so I don't read BL manga or watch BL shows.

Quote:
No matter whether you like the guy or not (He's like Marmite in that you love or hate him), he's got a point in that certain anime fans shouldn't force their views on what anime should be on others.

I don't like it either when anime fans force their views on others. I actually don't like that in anything. People are allowed to have their opinions on what ever and they are entitled to have them, but I don't want that viewpoint shoved down my throat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Say a company in America is selling Blu-rays, they charge what they want and they only pay the company in Japan a percentage of sales.

I was not of the understanding that titles were acquired in R1 through deals such as this. Should costs associated with licensing be proportional to eventual sales, it would be expected that acquisitions of older or more esoteric titles would be more frequent than they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Danny Choo is harmless but a joke nonetheless.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that folks who don't particularly like moe anime...they don't need to watch it, right?

Quoted for its truthfulness.

This was a pretty cool interview, and defintiely an interesting read. Should be a required read for some forum-goers...

Also, I commend the interviewer for asking good questions. Having just taken a class on this, I can appreciate the way you led into some of your questions.

Also, since when is bollocks a common word to use outside the UK?
lelliel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

Danny's from London if I remember correctly.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:
Scormio wrote:

Danny's from London if I remember correctly.

Makes perfect sense then, Cool
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter whether you like the guy or not (He's like Marmite in that you love or hate him),

I don't know who he is.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Say a company in America is selling Blu-rays, they charge what they want and they only pay the company in Japan a percentage of sales.

I was not of the understanding that titles were acquired in R1 through deals such as this. Should costs associated with licensing be proportional to eventual sales, it would be expected that acquisitions of older or more esoteric titles would be more frequent than they are.

It's more like... The company has to pay an initial license fee and then they give a percentage of the sales to Japan. I think Danny was just saying a US company decides on much they want to sell a product for. Even then I have a feeling Japan has a say in that matter from time to time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Danny Choo wrote:

ANN: Last year we also talked about what is now the "Tokyo Youth Healthy Development Ordinance. " Have you seen or noticed much difference in how publishers and creators are working as a result of this? Has there been a change for consumers in Tokyo?

DC: I don't see any change at all in the content. When I go to a shop and pick up a manga, the content hasn't changed. Well, some of the content does surprise me, some of it is really graphic, people stabbing each other and eyes popping out. So I don't see anything change in terms of people producing the content.

Where I do see a change is in terms of how the content is displayed. In Japan, legally, material aimed at folks over the age of 18 has to be separate. It's very easily done; you've got a bookshelf and a card stuck up that says that anything on this other side of it is for people over 18. Apart from that, nothing has really changed.

I think one of the reasons why many people started to make a fuss about it was for Google juice, for blog comments basically. "Oh god this is the end of anime!" And they'd build comments and a buzz around their blogs. That's why I didn't write about it at all, because I knew it was bollocks really.

Just bears repeating.

Anybody believe that?

BorgmanJayce wrote:

A good analogy would be something like this: Say you want to buy a car, but there's only one type and one color available. That means that there wouldn't be a wider choice if any at all, whereas with most things like movies, anime, manga and videogames, there is a wide choice in all kinds of genres.

That's what I keep telling everyone - variety. Laughing

Get inspirations from all over the places, not just a few, to prevent inbreeding.
infjeff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
For some reason this guy just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not even anti-moe or anti-fanservice, but I like variety in my anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2