• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Lupin III's 1st Anime Season on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
jsc: If they get red jacket, DT just needs to release it the way Geneon should have, in 35-40-episode chunks(i.e. box-sets) like Fist.

E-Master:
Quote:
If they do license the entire Red Jacket Series, that would be super cause I've long to watch all 155 episodes.

I'd like to watch all episodes without a rumoured/removed censored version of the superhero parodies myself. That might be one of the few perks of DC losing the rights.

Quote:
I hope they'd be able to re insert the original episode 3 in it's right place instead of listing it as a later episode like how Geneon did it for their DVD releases all because of various reasons.

Actually, ironically that's not the episode which seemed to be the most "controversial" to me. But I don't wanna ruin the moment by bringing it up.

Emi: I think, at this point, it makes more sense for Aniplex to bring over Angel Heart.

Geo:
Quote:
But, at the same time, this license is a first for Discotek since it's a TV series that has never been released in North America before and hasn't had previously-existing official subtitles before.

Well, actually it has been officially subbed. You forgot they just aired the show in L.A. a few months ago. Though if the script for it is as amateur as the ones I saw for the latter half of red jacket [Apparently, Obama is the President in 1980 Rolling Eyes .] , I doubt they'll be the definitive subs.

Quote:
Nozomi also splits up the shows they license because they offer an overall amazing package, complete with booklets, nice artboxes, etc.

True, but they could've put out Dirty Pair in a mega-set, and they no doubt split it up to defer the costs of licensing. The extras were just an incentive, which is fine, because they worked for me.

Quote:
I'd say the most we'll get with Lupin Season 1's release that wasn't on the Japanese DVDs and BDs is some commentary for a few episodes here and there done by the same guy who did the commentaries for Episode 0 and Fuma Conspiracy.

Actually, I'm hoping we'll get the pilot, too.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Someone pinch me because I must be dreaming. This just made my day really. I am a big Lupin fan and this is great news.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Lupin the Third wrote:
A couple updates from Discotek:

-The set will be subtitled-only. No English dub.

-A Blu-ray release sometime down the line is a possibility, but far from guaranteed. I presume it'll rely upon sales of the original.

-They don't have their masters yet, so we don't know anything about possible edits to the master or exactly what is included on the set (Pilot Film? Japanese extras?).

-I'll be contributing something to the release in the way of extras. Not sure what just yet.

The article proper:
http://lupinthethird.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80:lupin-part-i-tv-licensed&catid=1:latest

Thanks Reed for the info. I liked listening to your audio commentaries for the last two releases from Discotek. I'll be looking forward to whatever will be included for this upcoming DVD.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:

Thanks Reed for the info. I liked listening to your audio commentaries for the last two releases from Discotek. I'll be looking forward to whatever will be included for this upcoming DVD.

You're welcome to it. I'm looking forward to working on it!
Raz_G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This is GREAT news. Goodbye crappy fansubs, hello DVDs! I'm so buying this. I agree, by the way, that the season has its share of problems in the visuals department (let's keep in mind the budgets anime TV shows worked with at the time) and that both Miyazaki and Takahata were still honing their directing and storytelling skills back then (and it's important to note that they were working with scripts written by other people on the show!) but having said all that, the show does have a fun late '60s/early '70s vibe to it, and you can actually trace quite a few elements that you see there to Miyazaki's later works. Kudos to Discotek.

If this release succeeds maybe it will open the door for future releases and re-releases of Miyazaki-related classics - people here mentioned Miyazaki's work on the second season of Lupin (Geneon didn't get to release these two episode before it closed down - I think they were released by Streamline on VHS as "Lupin's Greatest Capers"), And I'd certainly like to see "Sherlock Hound" released again on DVD. And dare I dream of a "Future Boy Conan" release? And maybe even early TOEI films like "Hakujaden" (the film that inspired Miyazaki to choose an animation career - and one of the most important films in the history of anime in general)? So many possiblities...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Raz: Future Boy Conan probably depends on whether or not there are estate issues with the original author.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If they get red jacket, DT just needs to release it the way Geneon should have, in 35-40-episode chunks(i.e. box-sets) like Fist.
I totally agree, that way I could replace my 15 volume collection with a handful of boxsets instead.

Quote:
I'd like to watch all episodes without a rumoured/removed censored version of the superhero parodies myself. That might be one of the few perks of DC losing the rights.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it would take to release those two episodes without censoring them or excluding them. I've watch those two myself and they were one of my favorite episodes just cause of the superman parodies thrown in.

Quote:
Actually, ironically that's not the episode which seemed to be the most "controversial" to me. But I don't wanna ruin the moment by bringing it up.
It didn't bother me when I watch it as a later episode off of my Genenon DVDs, I'm just saying it would be great to see it listed as Episode 3 on a newer DVD set as it was originally meant to be.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing news.

The first series is actually my favorite of the three Lupin III television series, so this'll be a definite buy for me once an official release date is revealed.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So is this the season that precedes the one that Geneon put out? I'm thinking it is. Wow - this is kind of like h*ll freezing over, if so! I don't think anyone ever thought they'd put that one out, any more than someone getting Macross 7 or Macross Frontier out of licensing limo.

As for a BD release - uh no, just NO. A anime this old (1971) would like like cr*p on BD. It's kind of like making a letterbox version of the Wizard of Oz (1939). It's actually been done (the Wizard of Oz, that is), for those who don't know, but it really didn't help a thing IMNSHO, seeing the film was made in 4:3 (it pre-dates Widescreen by a good twenty years) and wasn't intended for the Widescreen ratio (there's actually a webpage about this here http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_academy.shtml ). Now a nice master/remaster of the early Lupin III episodes is something I would hope for but I don't think it needs a BD treatment because it would simply make it worse looking than it it already is (they just didn't create animes in the 1970s with High Def in mind and no amount of clean up is going to help that issue).

MORBO: FILM/ANIMATION QUALITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

A 16 MM print extrapolates to equal definition, An animation cel, or even a typical master, is scores better than that, and would scale accordingly.

To say nothing of your rather...odd interpretations of Widescreen being a necessity of Hi def (If that's what your saying, it's hard to tell with that gibberish)
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Source!

According to Reed Nelson, Discotek has both versions of the original pilot film and will be in the set.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I haven't been into Lupin for very long, but this is a good series, I look forward to watching more of it. I hope Discoteck releases the whole franchise! It's a shame this isn't going to be dubbed into English though. I don't normally watch anime in Japanese, nor have I heard the original Japanese voice actors (only the English actors from the Red Jacket series, and the 1979 English dub of Mamo), but I guess I'll give it a try here. I wonder if this could be dubbed down the line if it sells well enough for Discotek, but I guess I'll just be thankful for what I've got.

And wow! The original pilot? That is good news! This looks to be an exiting release!

I really Discotek licenses any of the Cyborg 009 shows or movies. The new one was on Toonami, but is unlicensed today (at least I think so), but the two older series have never seen the light of day in the states. I don't care if they're sub only, I would just love to see those shows on R1 DVD in some form.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
And maybe even early TOEI films like "Hakujaden" (the film that inspired Miyazaki to choose an animation career - and one of the most important films in the history of anime in general)?
You do know that Discotek have already released several of the '60s and '70s ones with Miyazaki or Takahata involvement, right? And Optimum in the UK put out one of Hols but with subtitles on the terrible side. But what the whole world really needs is for Tôei to get round to having new transfers made of all these classics, the present ones dating from the early days of DVD-Video and lacking even by their standards; there may not be the market for BDs but there's potential for DVDs of them to look metaphorical leagues better than those currently (not very) available and for subbed DCPs for international distribution to made from the transfers as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4