• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diamonds Shine - This is a Light novel (User created)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This is my first stab at writting a light novel. In all honesty my intent with this work is to break away from the normal formula and just have fun with it. I have put my heart and soul into this I laughed as i wrote, I cried as i wrote.
Please accept my humble offering
Travis Bouldin
Eclipz69

Diamonds Shine
ダイヤモンドの輝き
By: Travis Bouldin

Chapter 1
The first day, A new Friend, My heart.
Yawning, I blink my eyes sleepily as I hear my aunt call out “Nobu-kun breakfast is ready!”
Glancing at the clock I realize I am running late for my first day of school. Jumping out of bed I quickly wash my face and look into the mirror “I will find her” I promise myself as an image of those beautiful eyes and smile pass through my thoughts.
“NOBU-kun if you do not hurry you will not have time to eat!” I hear her call out again
“Coming! Onē-san”
I pull my faded blue jeans on and my white t-shirt and hurry out the door towards the main house.
Sitting down I notice my aunt has gone out of her way and instead of the normal Okayu, before me is aji and Tamagoyak.
“Onē-san why did you make such a meal?”
“Well it is your first day of class Nobu-kun, you need a good start so you can make us proud” She replied with a gentle smile.
“Itadakimasu!” I said as I broke into a flat out eating panic so I could get to school on time.
I knew that smile not only meant her, but my parents as well. I had to make them all proud for my own sanity.
My name is Nakamura Nobuyuki. I am 20 years old and originally from Kyoto. I would describe myself as an average college student hopeful and I am currently taking preparatory classes to pass the college exams I have failed twice already. My family moved from here around eight years ago when my father was transferred to the United States.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eclipz69

Two years ago both of my parents were killed in a tragic traffic accident and I moved back to live with my aunt at the family residence.
We are not rich by any means but the residence has a main house and two smaller guest houses that surround a small koi pond with a bamboo water-fountain and garden. There is one large family bath house that is split into two smaller baths, one for the ladies, and one for the men of the family. Looking at it from outside of the gates it looks like a quaint little temple. It is very peaceful and serene most time which makes Life not to bad here. I have my own little house with everything I need. As long as I help out with the family restaurant and keep going to class I am left relatively alone by the rest of the family here.
“Have a good day Onē-san!”
Slipping on my shoes I hurry out the door and down to the train station.
At this time in the morning parents can been seen at almost every house in my neighborhood seeing their children off to school. The shouts of laughter, warm sun, birds singing, cool breeze, and cherry blossoms are now a part of my life.
Even though I miss my parents, this place is home, I can feel it down to my core.
I am honestly rather lucky in the fact that the station is only a ten minute walk, with a twenty minute ride, and a five minute walk to get to school.
Phew!, almost there.
The sound of the school bells started ringing through my ears. AHHHH CRAP!, if I can just make it through the gate before it closes I thought to myself. Breaking into a dead run I only had one block left to go but was I going to make it?

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sliding between the old creaking gate as it shut I gasped for air. Wow, I almost didn’t make it that would have been a horrible start to this day.
It was a beautiful day outside as I stared out the window of the second floor classroom. March had been a very nice month, the weather had been mild and the spring evenings were spectacular.
The clouds lazily floated by with the few cherry blossoms that had already bloomed and my thoughts floated with them.
It had been a summer like this one when we first met. That image was burned not only into my memory but my heart as well. She had beautiful green eyes with flecks of gold and blue, her smile could ensnare men twice her age, and her hair which was the most vivid strawberry blonde that it almost seemed to shimmer in the light as if it were a flame that would consume any who gazed to long. My god I thought, how I miss her. I wanted to see her, my first and only love, but in the six years I had been gone to many things had changed and my current attempts to find her had failed.
“Nakamura-san….. NAKAMURA-SAN” Yoshida Kenji-sensei yelled.
“Yes Sensei” My thoughts quickly snapped back to what I was supposed to be doing and I stood up as I addressed him. The quiet laughter of my classmates louder in my ears than normal caused my face to blush under the scrutiny.
“Nakamura-san how do you expect to pass the mock exams when your mind isn’t in this classroom” Yoshida-sensei scolded with a deep look of concern upon his face.
“I realize you came back from the States not long ago and their expectations may not be as high as my standards. When you are in this class however, I expect your attention to be here as well” Yoshida-sensei turned back to the board and continued with his lesson.
I quietly sat back into my seat and looked at my desk until the bright reds from my cheeks had calmed down.
Feeling slightly calmer about the situation I begin to look around. The classroom had been the old 2-D class room of Gaidai Nishi High School. It had old School festival flyers on the poster board at the front of the class announcing the sports festival, Drama club meeting times, and a list of that year’s student council member’s. The windows of the class room were covered in a thin layer of dust from a lack of cleaning over the past few weeks. The desks where worn and a few of the chairs would tilt back and forth from the many days of use they had seen. The classroom however was situated perfectly and it allowed a nice breeze to come through the open windows. The sweet smell of freshly cut grass, and the intense sweet, rose, spring- like cherry blossom smell would waft into our classroom causing me to day dream.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipz69

That smile, those eyes, the lips I longed to kiss as my fingers gently caressed her hair. I can still remember the first time she had held my hand. Her skin was so soft and warm compared to mine; it was like touching a silk bed sheet. The feeling had caused me to blush as she dragged me along the park path at a dead run.
I caught myself dreaming again and forced my thoughts back to reality. It was becoming harder to concentrate on what I needed to do these days.
The class consisted of mainly high school students and a few like me who need the extra study time to pass college exams. In total there were six female students and seven male students. Almost all of them were working hard on the practice math problem on the board, all except for the guy sitting next to me.
Being two years younger than me he was a rather large Japanese guy whose frame could be considered intimidating. His dark brown eyes would gloss over whenever sensei would begin lecturing as if he had more important things to do. In a way I could relate with that, my dream felt more important than the lecture as well. His jet black hair was combed back and spiked a little and by looking closely you could see his muscle definition through whatever he was wearing. His name was Suzuki Hiroki and he seemed to have a much more laid back attitude; however, there were times when I caught him looking so intently at something or someone that it was shocking.
Suddenly the class bells ring and bring me back from my thoughts and I realize that Suzuki-San is looking at me with that intense look.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipz69

“Good afternoon Suzuki-San”
With those eyes on me that’s all I could muster to say at that moment while I bowed.
“Good afternoon Nakamura-San, I noticed you had something that must have been extremely important on your mind today.”
I could do nothing but stammer my words with that look he gave me, such seriousness and brashness in what he said and it was only our first meeting.
“I-I-I have had a lot on my mind recently, wi-wi-with everyth” He cut me off with such a joyful look and jovial laugh. I would have never imagined that he could make those sounds or that face. He made such a somber expression all day that I couldn’t even believe what I was seeing.
“You’re too serious Nakamura-san, Lighten up!”
My jaw almost hit the floor as he patted my back and laughed even harder as his voice boomed.
As we packed our things we began to talk more. I learned that he actually didn’t want to attend college but for the sake of his younger sisters future he was determined to be able to provide for her in the best manner possible. As he continued on my thoughts drifted back to her. I too was also going to college for a lady in my life, or rather a lady I wanted in my life. I wanted to be able to support her as best I could and prove my worth to her. Shaking the thoughts from my head I quickly turned back to the conversation.
“Hey Nakamura-San would it be ok to call you by your given name?”
The thought struck me almost as a slap. Not as an insult but just surprise I mean we had only just met each other.
“S-s-sure” Was all I could stammer out.
“Alright then Nobu-senpai, then please use my given name”
“Thank you, Hiroki-San”
As we walked from the class room and drifted down the hall I began to take stock of today. It had been almost a loss in terms of learning anything due to my day dreaming, however I had made what seemed to be a new friend in Hiroki-san.
It was at this point I noticed we were being followed by a group of younger girls who attended the High School. I couldn’t figure out what they were doing till I was about to ask Hiroki-San about it and it struck me.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eclipz69

Looking at another man from a man’s perspective we do not usually notice or shall I say care to notice the features of the other. In that moment however I realized why they were following us. When it came to Hiroki-San my description earlier probably did not do him justice. To the ladies following us, well him, he must have looked like a god. I couldn’t help but snicker.
“What has you laughing senpai?” He asked with a skeptical look on his face.
I glanced back and couldn’t help but snicker again when his gazed followed mine and he noticed all the girls blushing and giggling at his gaze. His face blushed, his eyes widened, and his walking pace almost doubled.
“Knowing you could come in handy Hiroki-sama!” I laughed and teased him.
“If you say my name like that again we are going to have issues Nakamura-san”
The Nakamura-san and change in his attitude made me worried that I might have gone a little too far in the teasing, When I saw his still flushed face though I knew it was said only out of embarrassment and I couldn’t help but snicker to myself a little more.
As we walked to the station Hiroki-San turned his head toward me and with a serious expression asked.
“Senpai what important things were you thinking about earlier?”
I felt my face flush immediately and this time it was his turn to laugh.
“Oh so I see it is about a girl huh Senpai?”
I think my face at that point was a whole new color of red and I had to turn my head away from him just so I could answer him. Of course this brought around an even deeper laugh.
“You could say that Hiroki-San”
I began to explain to him what she looked like and how I felt when looking at her. I told him about what had caused us to part ways and what brought me back. With each passing minute his eyes seemed to glass over more and more as his thoughts became deeper. I couldn’t help myself at this moment and I felt a pang in my heart. Does he know her? Does he also love her? What am I going to do if he does?!? My heart leapt at the first words he spoke as we reached the train station.
“I do not know why Senpai, but the girl you described sounds familiar for some reason. I will do everything in my power to help you find her, this I swear on our new friendship. Do you remember her name?”

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Sat May 28, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
“Yes, Inoue Chiharu” I whispered almost reverently.
As my thoughts flew back to her I knew I had said her name to him in such a dreamy and loving way that I embarrassed myself once more. Of course the laughter came again.
All at once emotions ran through me. He did not love her and that was a relief and my heart settled down a bit in my chest; However, He seems to recall someone like her. Could he be my key to finding her? My heart leapt again in my chest at this new prospect.
As it turned out we lived in separate parts of the city and we parted ways exchanging cell phone numbers.
Riding the train home that afternoon seemed to fly by as thoughts drifted once again to her. Would I find her? Would she come to love me once again? Did she ever stop loving me? For that matter did our relationship back then go past friendship? That moment my mind, and my heart, flew back to a time six months before I even knew I was leaving and a promise I had made to a question she had asked.
As I walked down the road to my house I could hear the mothers greeting their children home and my mind drifted to that day.
It was the same day she had first held my hand telling me she had something she wanted to show me. We were only twelve years old at that point but she was so much more mature then I could have ever hoped of being. We had come around a bend in the park to a small pond. The leaves were changing and the sun was setting. The sky seemed to be echoing that beautiful hair and lighting up with reds and yellows with a splash or orange here and there. The pond was still other then the occasional leaf falling and kissing the surface causing a ripple to spread out and across. It was amazing, the sky echoed her and the pond echoed it all. Even at that innocent age it was more than enough to take my breath away.
Slowly and shyly she turned towards me and I saw it in her eyes, I know I saw it. They glistened and twinkled as a star in the night. Her face was flushed and she was gently chewing her lower lip. I was lost in that innocent beauty. With a wavering voice she spoke such soft words.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
“Nobu-Chan, Will you stay with me forever?”
My heart was pounding so fast and my whole body was screaming yes, but I was speechless.
I saw a tear run down her cheek and it quickly brought me to my senses.
“Chi-chan why are you crying?” was all I could seem to ask
This brought around great heaving sobs from her and I could feel my heart shatter. Did she regret saying that to me?
“Why won’t y-y-you answer me Nobu-Chan? Do you not want to be with me forever?”
It was me! I had made this beautiful girl cry. I was so surprised and excited that I had yet to answer her question. With that look and those tears I made a promise to her that my heart completely agreed with.
“Chi-Chan, please do not cry. I am sorry” I said as I bowed deeply but this only brought around an even greater sob from hear and she turned to run away.
Catching hold of her hand she begged me not to look at her and it took all my courage to finish what I was saying.
“Chi-Chan listen to me! I wasn’t finished! I am sorry I hesitated and made you cry. I was so happy at hearing the words my heart had longed to her that I was speechless. Of course I will stay with you forever!”
With that she turned and buried her face in my chest. I could feel the warm tears soaking through my shirt and feel her body shudder against mine. It was the first time I noticed how she smelled. It was a soft pleasant sweet smell, one I have never forgotten.
All she could muster to say at that point was “Thank you, Thank you Nobu-chan.”
The day I had to leave with my family hurt so much. I was torn. I wanted to stay with her but my father said that this should only be a temporary posting. We would soon be back and that I had nothing to fear. Chi-Chan cried in my arms for almost 2 hours that day while the last of our things were packed away. She whispered to me to never forget the promise I made her. It was then I realized with my thinking that our relationship had meant more.
We had kept touch with each other writing back and forth for almost 4 years. My father’s temporary posting was supposed to come to an end soon. At least that is what he kept telling me. But in that fourth year I stopped receiving mail from Chi-chan and I began to lose hope. I never forgot about her though to me she was my first, and only, true love.
As I laid in bed that night my thoughts, my heart, and my tears flowed freely. Would I ever see her again? Would she still love me? How I miss you Chi-chan, please come back to me I prayed. I cried for hours into the night, crying myself to sleep.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
To Be Continued

As I continue to write this story I am more then willing to post it here but I would also like feedback, Good and Negative is always welcome.

Last edited by Eclipz69 on Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipz69

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
saved
blacklilha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
that was a good start..

I appreciate your light novel and keep going cause i'll be waiting for the next chapter

but don't make it too fast..
like switching scenes here and there..

I've been reading lots of stuff so i think your just like a pro now

:3 well see yah and good work
Alkane24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Awesome light novel dude..........I may not be an expert at what is good or a bad light novel...but all I can say was that I was totally immersed in what you wrote....cant wait for what is gonna come...Please keep writing and posting your updates...

Best of luck.... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1