• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jimkata

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Great show! I really appreciated hearing the commentary from Zac, Gia, and Rebecca about this summer's new anime in Japan. It's disappointing to hear there were so many low-lights, and not much in the way of highlights. Some of the commentary was quite amusing to listen to, though. Smile

I also thought the discussion of AX, AM2, and Otakon was very enlightening. It was nice getting to hear some "behind the scenes" information and stories about anime conventions. As a listener, I think it gave me a better appreciation for what goes into planning and putting on these kinds of conventions.

Last edited by ljaesch on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if you were making a top ten worst anime of 2011, the summer season would probably have a majority. But there is still a lot of good, too. I think the best anime of the year will come down to Madoka vs. PenguinDrum, and Usagi Drop and No. 6 look to have big potential as well. I knew nothing of the spoiler before I watched Usagi Drop, and it doesn't bother me one bit after finding out. There are two sequels to two really good shows, Baka Test and Nura, and there are a couple of middling shows that look to be better than average. The watchable shows seem to be pretty good (but boy are the unwatchable shows unwatchable!)

And as for Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel (I'll die before I call it Twinkle Paradise), the core audience is people like me--I watched the OVA and I'll be damned if I don't finish what I started. It can't be worse than Cosprayers, right? Oh god, please tell me it's better than Cosprayers...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, next year, Comic-Con is being shifted up one week for some reason, so it'll be a mere 2 weekends from Anime Expo (uncomfortably close for my tastes), but maybe 2 weekends from Otakon as well.

Great podcast, I love the convention ones, being a big con fan myself, and usually attending 3 a year: Fanime, AX, and SDCC.

Not sure what would happen if AM2 would move to Memorial Day weekend, since that is traditionally Fanime weekend for me. Some SoCal attendees and artists may be tempted to stay closer to home, but I think I would continue wanting to go to Fanime, just to hang out with my friends up there (plus San Jose has really good burritos that I look forward to every year).
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Not sure what would happen if AM2 would move to Memorial Day weekend, since that is traditionally Fanime weekend for me. Some SoCal attendees and artists may be tempted to stay closer to home, but I think I would continue wanting to go to Fanime, just to hang out with my friends up there (plus San Jose has really good burritos that I look forward to every year).

Ditto.

The food alone around that convention center... *whistles*
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I was actually standing behind someone who screamed out "I LOST THE GAME!" in one of the more crowded areas. There was one huge simultaneous groan as a response. It brought a tear to my eye, I was so happy Smile

Oh and you should at least watch the 2nd episode of No. 6. It gets rolling rather nicely, looking like quite a strong show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

Oh yeah, Fanime. I've never been - it didn't come to mind. Maybe sometime in June would be better. There are plenty of weekends without direct conflict.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Ditto.

The food alone around that convention center... *whistles*

Yeah, Fanime is in an ideal place for finding great food. Found an excellent happy hour place this year, and a delicious bakery attached to our hotel with fancy little cakes.

I forgot to mention I liked the little Viz segment where Vowles mentioned attempting to smack some sense into their heads. I have never understood their distance from their fans, avoidance of anime cons, and sometimes seemingly deliberately ignoring suggestions or questions with silence and not even the traditional, "We can't discuss that at this time." I really hope what was said in the podcast was true, and they are making at least baby steps to reconnect with their fans and supporters.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
If you have to justify a tv series by saying it is a parody than it probably isn't.

As for east vs west cons, I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about Western cons like SakuraCon as opposed to the East where ever review of a con is complaining about how noisy the convention was.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I bought a Premiere Fan pass, otherwise I probably would not have been able to pick up my badge on Day 0, even after waiting in line in the sweltering sun. A sunburn, which I get easily, would have been a big hamper on my vacation fun. I got to the site at 7pm on Thursday and I just strolled in and strolled out 10 minutes later with my badge. I took for granted the lack of a need to wait in big lines until Zac mentioned how the big regular pre-reg line was mostly outside.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you have to justify a tv series by saying it is a parody than it probably isn't.

or it's an explanation for the super serial people.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for east vs west cons, I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about Western cons like SakuraCon as opposed to the East where ever review of a con is complaining about how noisy the convention was.
Just listened to the part of the podcast about East vs West. I think anime con attendees in general are better behaved than attendees at other types of events like sports and big name concerts. I was listening to some conversations from security people and Nokia staff before the Kalafina concert. One was complaining how so many people were trying to enter with cameras and food. The security person said they prefer the Expo crowd over typical ones that go to Nokia Live. He said he'd rather have us any day than most groups that go in and out of there. I don't know why East Coast con goers are more rowdy and noisy as they are anime fans too, and generally we are all nerds and geeks. The impression people have of geeks line up more with quiet, social outcasts than obnoxious party animals so it makes sense that were better behaved and more accommodating than other groups. But the East Coast thing has me scratching my head.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast as always.

Some stuff about the summer season.

R-15 wasn't that bad. It is not going to be a top shelf show, but I have a similar opinion to what Carl wrote for the preview guide. It's stupid but it is fun stupid.

I can say the same thing about Twin Angel. It is a stupid show, but I got some fun and enjoyment out of it.

I haven't got a chance to watch Manyu yet because of the overuse of censorship. I will wait for either the supposedly "uncensored" broadcast or wait for the BD rips to start appearing.

Even though many have spoiled what happens later in Usagi Drop, I don't care if that is what happens as I see nothing wrong with it. One that note I am looking forward to watching more of it as it comes out.

I wouldn't say that the Summer 2011 season is terrible, some of the bad shows might get better as they go on, but only time will tell.

I would love to visit Otakon if my health is better next year. Baltimore is not too far of a drive for me (2 hours) of the course the humidity might be a problem for me in the summer. I've never been to a con before so that is still on my anime "bucket list" to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I would love to visit Otakon if my health is better next year. Baltimore is not too far of a drive for me (2 hours) of the course the humidity might be a problem for me in the summer. I've never been to a con before so that is still on my anime "bucket list" to do.

Con going is best when you go with a group. Sadly, being the only fan on the peninsula makes it hard for me to find people to go with. But it is definately something everyone should experience once, I first went to Ota in '08 for JAM Project. And again in '09, and I had a blast both times (though I do seem to suffer injuries or almost get killed each time I go.)

Baltimore humidity didn't seem to be too bad the past few years (though coming from the Mid Atlantic to another Mid Atlantic state means I have a high resistance to humidity.) But you should definately go, if only to say you have been.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Summer Anime season is always bad. just wait until fall.

AM2 should stay on the July 4th weekend. I like AM2. alot of open spaces are cool, not much waiting and free. it's a pretty cool thing to for July 4th weekend without burning that much money.

Like my business professor said. If you want to be consider successfully, you have to kill off competitions. Like Netflix kills off companies like Hollywood Video, Blockbuster etc...
You can still do good by running away from competitions, but it won't be consider successfully. AM2 just have to do everything better. it's not like AX is that good.

when there are competitions, customers will be benefit.

Maybe conventions are different than business. what the hell do i know.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Maybe conventions are different than business. what the hell do i know.

Well, conventions are generally intended to grow and promote fandom, usually as a non-profit and grass-roots thing. It'd be like if two charities that did the same thing in the same area spent all their resources trying to kill each other.

Non-profit volunteer events aimed at nurturing friendly fan culture generally don't benefit from the ruthless take-no-prisoners approach of the business world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4