• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter TV Anime Series Confirmed for This Fall

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
That's great. I've always had an interest in this series but just never really got around to reading the manga.

For anyone who's currently reading it, what's it like? One Piece?

Also, what the f*ck is fal? That 'aint no month I ever heard of Laughing
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
The OVAs were never licensed over here...to answer your question it's about a kid whose dad was a famous Hunter (think Toriko, but without the rippling muscles). There are different kinds of Hunters, like rare artifact Hunters, Gourmet Hunters, etc, and there's an exam to become a Hunter that many apply to, but a tiny amount pass. (Think the Chuunin Exam in Naruto.) Basically the father gives the son a mission to become a Hunter and find him. He gets a group of friends, one who wants to be a doctor, one from a family of assassins, and one who seeks revenge for his murdered clan. If this sounds familiar, know that this manga started in 1998, so if anything, the more recent series borrowed from Hunter X Hunter, not the other way around.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
o_0

I guess Togashi plans to end the Chimera Ant arc within the next few volumes then. I would have figured we'd get another long OVA series or two like Greed Island, as I never expected another TV series.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing what the animation studios end up doing with Togashi's squiggles.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
And here I thought there would never again be anything from Hunter X Hunter that would be animated. This sincerely shocks me, as it has been an exceptionally long time since I even last heard of the last full TV anime series of Hunter X Hunter.

However, this news is bitter sweat though. Given the apparent poor sales of Hunter X Hunter (anime), I don't think Viz Media will ever license this anime. Considering they haven't yet, if ever licensed the Greed Island Arc, it makes it even more unlikely.

While this is fantastic news, it also sucks that it's likely never to be licensed.

Rockman Nes: I've seen the original Hunter X Hunter anime and it's exceptional. I've also read the manga, and for the longest time I really enjoyed it. It's a great manga, but I'll tell this to you right now, at times it can get slightly violent. Not that really a issue, but I figured I'll give fair warning.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
The OVAs were never licensed over here...to answer your question it's about a kid whose dad was a famous Hunter (think Toriko, but without the rippling muscles). There are different kinds of Hunters, like rare artifact Hunters, Gourmet Hunters, etc, and there's an exam to become a Hunter that many apply to, but a tiny amount pass. (Think the Chuunin Exam in Naruto.) Basically the father gives the son a mission to become a Hunter and find him. He gets a group of friends, one who wants to be a doctor, one from a family of assassins, and one who seeks revenge for his murdered clan. If this sounds familiar, know that this manga started in 1998, so if anything, the more recent series borrowed from Hunter X Hunter, not the other way around.

Thanks for the heads up. I stupidly made the decision to read the most recent chapter of HxH.

Big mistake...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that the anime will really tone-down the violence from the latest arc.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not actually too mad that Greed Island hasn't been licensed by Viz, as it's more or less inconsequential as a whole other than meeting a few more key characters (face it, it is). However, Viz really needs to get the first OVA, as that is where Kurapica unleashes his rage against the Genei Ryodan, and it's truly needed for at least some closure to his arc that was simply left hanging in the TV series.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
THIS fall?

So soon?

And what would it be, anyway? A sequel? Reboot?
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
WOW! That was unexpected and fast. This will be great!
Uppa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Someone find me an image of a triumphant man standing with his two arms pointing towards the heavens in a kind of very glorious sort of way.

I do have one very, very solemn request, however: please, please, please bring Furuhashi--director of the first 62 episodes--back as director for this! And give him the resources to make this brilliant. Please.

Last edited by Uppa on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe funimation will license this....we just have to wait...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
THIS fall?

So soon?

Given that the original anime finished airing over 10 years ago, a sequel seems unlikely. Even the OVA will be over 6 years old by the time this begins airing.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I'm really pumped now. I don't watch many shonen fighting shows, in fact, this is the only one I've gotten into in years, and it even helped me introduce a friend to anime.

Any news of more animated Hunter x Hunter is great to me, but I really wonder where they're going to get enough material for the series. Are they just gonna animate this last arc and then wait again? Or are they going to pull a Rurouni Kenshin and go off in their own creative direction? Togashi works at a snail's pace, so even if he tried to end the series now, it would take a while.
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
kpk wrote:
THIS fall?

So soon?

Given that the original anime finished airing over 10 years ago, a sequel seems unlikely. Even the OVA will be over 6 years old by the time this begins airing.

There is absolutely no need for a reboot. It will definitely be a new TV series -- they have enough material. The original TV series covered the first 11 volumes. Since the end of GI, there has been 11 more volumes of material.

The original series was perfect. However, it would be nice to get a remastered BD version now that a new series is coming out. The old masters look like crap even though the show is only from the late 90's.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
It's a great manga, but I'll tell this to you right now, at times it can get slightly violent. Not that really a issue, but I figured I'll give fair warning.

And you're saying this.. to ME? The guy who watched Akira at 5(? It was elementary school age that's all I can remember) years old with his dad?... The guy who thinks reading the Devilman manga (or anything else by Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa) will make you instantly grow chest hair? The guy who thinks Berserk\Hellsing\Violence Jack is one of the most awesome series EVER?

I think what I'm trying to say is, I can take a little gore Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5