• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-Ray part 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
You say such good things about the dub...yet it get's a C+?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
when this material first aired, who actually saw the identities of Trunks' parents coming? And who wasn't shocked to see the ease with which Frieza, the most powerful villain ever to appear in any shonen action series to that point, got cut down so easily the second time?

What I wouldn't give to watch the series for the first time not knowing anything about where it would lead. Like that spoiler[Goku was really an alien, Trunks' parents are Vegeta and Bulma, that Yajirobe would cut off Vegeta's tail, that Goku would marry Chichi and have two children, that Kuririn would marry Android 18, etc.] Unfortunately, the first time I watched the series was with the Dragon Box releases and since I don't live under a rock, I already knew most of the major plot points. Still I have to say, that flawed as it may be, Dragonball is one of my favorites.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
You say such good things about the dub...yet it get's a C+?

Note that it's an "Overall (Dub)" grade, not a "Dub" grade. That grade is for the production as a whole in dubbed form, not just for the dub itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers right on the cover!? C'mon, some people might not know that happens.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
At first, I didn't know what to make of Colleen Clinkenbeard's 18. I love her Gohan, but I didn't seen the reason to replace Meredith McCoy, who was good in the role. But now I love Clinkenbeard's 18.

Huber's 17 is stronger than ever and Inman's 16 isn't as stiff anymore.

Vale, though, is a bit too raspy, though his overall delivery has improved.

Gasero wrote:

It's twenty years old and it's the most popular anime in America. If you haven't seen it by now, you're going to be spoiled.

Oh, I wonder if all the sets have their Yamamoto scores replaced with Kikuchi now. Not that I don't prefer Kikuchi's score, but the placement for Kai is a bit hit-or-miss, and I do miss a few of the tracks from Yamamoto.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Well I guess they do now.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall (dub) : C+
Overall (sub) : C+

Either the Japanese cast got worse or the new Funimation cast suddenly got better. I don't hear any sort of equality in the two audio tracks.

P.S Good job Funimation for keeping the truck driver alive.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Gasero wrote:

It's twenty years old and it's the most popular anime in America. If you haven't seen it by now, you're going to be spoiled.

Of course I understand its 20 years old, but that moment was pretty sweet the first time I saw it. I wouldn't want anyone who may not have seen it to be spoiled.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, Android 18 is significant for being both the first long-term female villain in the franchise and its first female character who can hold her own against any of the boys/men in a fight at full power.

'Atta girl, represent! #18 was always my favorite character. Cool
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
As someone who has gotten the Dragon Box releases as they come out and saw the orange box version of the Buu Saga, all pretty much on a binge, it does bother me to admit the best DBZ has to offer ends once Frieza croaks. The Android saga offered a few good battles and the concept behind Cell as well as his character designs are top notch, but it's missing that sense of wonder and intergalactic peril from the Namek battles. And once Cell achieves his highest form, he proceeds to... sit on his ass waiting for others to challenge him instead of doing anything cool with those powers (he blew up a few asteroids, MINDNUMBING EXCITEMENT!!). And I used to consider the Buu saga my favorite until I sat down and rewatched the thing...

The new releases did rekindle my interest, but they don't cover up the original's faults.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
(Cripes, I missed the only dvd worth advertising on frontpage ANN. boo)

Nice review, although I would say that starting with Saiyan saga ending with Trunks saga IS the best that DBZ has to offer.

In general, the two critically important characters are the ones really worth following.

The ranks look a bit low, but you made that up with the pros and cons. Thanks for taking the time to do this review.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Overall (dub) : C+
Overall (sub) : C+

Either the Japanese cast got worse or the new Funimation cast suddenly got better. I don't hear any sort of equality in the two audio tracks.

Which is it then?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Dunno. I just tossed out two unlikely scenarios but I have not been following the reviews of Kai on ANN so it seems the audio tracks here have always been oddly identical.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Dunno. I just tossed out two unlikely scenarios but I have not been following the reviews of Kai on ANN so it seems the audio tracks here have always been oddly identical.

I could always start marking the Japanese dub lower (since I think that it is worse - sorry, I can't buy an adult Goku who sounds like a girl), but I've been giving it the benefit of the doubt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Which makes the ending grades over the Kai series even more odd since the Japanese audio starts lower and you've had to get used their take on,..well Akira Toriyama's preferred take on that sound of Goku. Reading your reviews I am not sure how the English dub was able to dig itself into a hole or how the Japanese dub got out of the hole you placed it in but it's nice how everything worked out neatly and evenly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2