• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Discontinues Macross

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Has AnimEigo given a reason as to why they're discontinuing the distribution of Macross?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I suspect it is that the classics just don't sell. In today's anime market, everyone wants the latest stuff from Japan, not some 80's title. But that's just my guess.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOO!!!??? That can't be!!! I just started buying Macross SDF too. I only have DVD 1 right now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-sama: You can order all the Macross products from AnimEigo directly and save 40% (until the 21st). www.animeigo.com/Products/MACROSS.t

Hope this helps. I sympathize.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
Kusanagi-sama: You can order all the Macross products from AnimEigo directly and save 40% (until the 21st). www.animeigo.com/Products/MACROSS.t

Hope this helps. I sympathize.

Hmph... I suppose I'll buy DVD's 2 and 3, Boxset 2 and 3 this Wednesday (I could probably do it tonight, and it won't clear until Wednesday or Thursday), and put off paying my cable bill till the 31st (normally due the 17th - they won't disconnect me, I've done this before)

I'm kinda angry mostly at Harmony Gold and some at AnimEigo for discontinueing such a great series, they don't particularly give a reason for ending the distribution and sale.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it probably just means that the rights expired and whichever licensor AnimEigo got the uncut version through, Tatsunoko or Big West (forgot which one), was probably asking for more than AnimEigo could afford to renew it, considering that AnimEigo is relatively poor and the bulk of the people who would want Macross TV subtitled would likely already have it by now, so it might just not be worth it when they could use whatever money they have to license something new *coughcoughOhMyGoddess!TVpleasepleasepleaseMr.Woodheadcough*.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
suspect it is that the classics just don't sell. In today's anime market, everyone wants the latest stuff from Japan, not some 80's title. But that's just my guess

And I bet you're a newbie too

What IS almost certain is that their license from Harmony Gold expires on January 1st, hence the Dec 31 cutoff.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think it probably just means that the rights expired and whichever licensor AnimEigo got the uncut version through, Tatsunoko or Big West (forgot which one), was probably asking for more than AnimEigo could afford to renew it, considering that AnimEigo is relatively poor and the bulk of the people who would want Macross TV subtitled would likely already have it by now, so it might just not be worth it when they could use whatever money they have to license something new *coughcoughOhMyGoddess!TVpleasepleasepleaseMr.Woodheadcough*.

No, Harmony Gold owns the license to it, and Harmony Gold is the one who also has banned the importing on non-licensed Macross merchandise. Harmony Gold probably wanted too much money for the license. They are the evil company that made ADV create Robotech.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The reason is simple. Renewing the license within the midst of the licensing hell that the show is involved in is a near impossiblity. They don't know who to approach with the paperwork. It's also probably one of the reasons a faithful Macross dub was never produced.

This sucks though.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Given how this is, y'know, Macross, I suspect somebody will pick it up and put it back out there eventually. Sucks that AnimEigo's run of it's ending, but one of the integral anime of the 1980s isn't just going to go untouched if it's made available for license.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
To get the 3 boxsets, it currently costs $119.97 ($39.99 x 3).
Or the 9 individual DVD's, it costs $134.55. ($14.95 x 9)

After the 21st:
3 Boxsets: $209.94 ($69.98 x 3)
9 individual DVD's $224.82 ($24.98 x 9)

UPS Ground, and USPS Priority Mail are free.
3 Day Shipping is $4.95 and 2 day shipping is $9.95

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Given how this is, y'know, Macross, I suspect somebody will pick it up and put it back out there eventually. Sucks that AnimEigo's run of it's ending, but one of the integral anime of the 1980s isn't just going to go untouched if it's made available for license.

Given the uncertainty between Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue (sued over who owned the rights to Macross), and the fact that nobody has picked up Macross 7, Macross SDF may never be picked up by someone else.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering how Harmony Gold owns the rights to Macross within North America, they can find anyone they want to distribute the series. More than likely they will probably hand the show over to ADV Films, who handles Robotech for them. And since ADV is a much larger company than Animeigo, HG may probably pick up a lot more fans. The thing to ponder is if there will be new subtitles for the show as Animeigo owns the copyright for the subtitles currently being used. And there is also a rumor of a possible new English dub that I heard floating around...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
From AnimeonDVD:
Quote:
Macross Expires (05:34 PM EST): According to reports coming in from various retailer sites, AnimEigo has informed them that they will no longer be able to supply product in either single disc release form or box set form of the Macross TV series. Essentially, the short-term license that they had with Harmony Gold has now passed and their ability to sell it is now over. Kudos to AnimEigo on a great project and one that really brought me some of the great classic anime that got me into this hobby.

AnimEigo did pick it up in 2001, and 3 years is a short term license.

noriko-takaya wrote:
Well, considering how Harmony Gold owns the rights to Macross within North America, they can find anyone they want to distribute the series. More than likely they will probably hand the show over to ADV Films, who handles Robotech for them. And since ADV is a much larger company than Animeigo, HG may probably pick up a lot more fans. The thing to ponder is if there will be new subtitles for the show as Animeigo owns the copyright for the subtitles currently being used. And there is also a rumor of a possible new English dub that I heard floating around...

The successive company picking up the license to it could buy the license from AnimEigo to use AnimEigo's subtitles.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I knew I put buying this off for too long. At least I can now get it cheaper so maybe it isn't so bad.

Quote:
*coughcoughOhMyGoddess!TVpleasepleasepleaseMr.Woodheadcough*

I'm praying this gets licenced soon, even if it does cost a bundle for someone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3