• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bridge Over Troubled Arakawa

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Nyan Koi! was a guilty pleasure for me. I have lived with cats my entire life and I must say it seemed to push it just slightly above average to me. Still something that is worth buying for myself, and my roommate and at least 2 other friends will enjoy this as well.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay, kitty! Such cute pics! I love it when cats roll over on their back like that and act all cute! My cat runs in front of me just to do that! But she got stepped on once for doing that, and did she learn her lesson? Of course not!

Man, why is it that all the panels I want to see are at 9am? WHY?! I mean, sure I'll have my badge on Thursday, I just wonder if I'll be able to convince any of my friends to join me on the light rail before 10. I really shouldn't go to any manga panels, they'll just me bad ideas of more stuff to buy in the dealer's room, but I can't help it! I want to go to them!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Can't forgive NyanKoi's MC (can't be arsed to remember his name) for going after the oblivious moron instead of his amazingly hot friend who actually does care for him. The entire show is fatally flawed.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The NukuNuku OVAs are still some of my favorites. I give them out to firends and I've never heard anything but praise.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
It belongs on your shelf in a place of honor, next to other anime feature classics like The Dagger of Kamui, Nausicaä, and Paprika.

Actually, it would be on my shelves next to 5 Centimeters Per Second and Adventures of Mini Goddess because that's where it would fall alphabetically, which is the only proper way to display one's collection. I am tempted to pick that and the first Galaxy Express movie up since I've been curious about them for some time. Hearing them get high marks just makes me want to see them all the more.

I never watched Arakawa, because it didn't seem like something I'd enjoy. While the fact that it's released by NIS makes it tempting, since I love those premium boxes, I'll still pass on it. Nyan Koi was entertaining enough for me to warrant a purchase. Nothing phenomenal, but not too bad. Average sums it up nicely.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Can't forgive NyanKoi's MC (can't be arsed to remember his name) for going after the oblivious moron instead of his amazingly hot friend who actually does care for him.

I am in full agreement with that though. And it's not just Nyan Koi, it's any plethora of anime where the main character has a hottie who genuinely cares for them, but they'd rather go after the one who is clueless about their affections or is otherwise unobtainable.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I am tempted to pick that and the first Galaxy Express movie up since I've been curious about them for some time. Hearing them get high marks just makes me want to see them all the more.

Definitely pick them up. They're both beautiful and haunting films that are also highly entertaining. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, we remember Nuku Nuku.

Particularly, there was an ex-Rightstuf staffer who remembers Nuku Nuku very very well. Laughing

Sailor S wrote:

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Can't forgive NyanKoi's MC (can't be arsed to remember his name) for going after the oblivious moron instead of his amazingly hot friend who actually does care for him.

I am in full agreement with that though. And it's not just Nyan Koi, it's any plethora of anime where the main character has a hottie who genuinely cares for them, but they'd rather go after the one who is clueless about their affections or is otherwise unobtainable.

Hey, guys gotta aim above their league! Laughing
ishmael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Can't forgive NyanKoi's MC (can't be arsed to remember his name) for going after the oblivious moron instead of his amazingly hot friend who actually does care for him. The entire show is fatally flawed.

Ibn my experience, we don't decide on who we have a crush on. And in my experience, that's a totally plausible situation.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad you did Galaxy Express 999 Adieu for the shelf life. Awesome classic movie. Was Galaxy Express 999 done or I missed that?
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Yay, kitty! Such cute pics! I love it when cats roll over on their back like that and act all cute! My cat runs in front of me just to do that! But she got stepped on once for doing that, and did she learn her lesson? Of course not!

Glad you liked my kitty.

nhat wrote:
Glad you did Galaxy Express 999 Adieu for the shelf life. Awesome classic movie. Was Galaxy Express 999 done or I missed that?

It was done last week.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Hey, guys gotta aim above their league! Laughing

That's the thing, said girl that likes him should be waaayyyy out of his league to begin with, yet he could have her at any time! Yes, I realize this is anime, aka not reality, but man, most times the girls that are going after the protagonist are better than the one that he wants! Really, about the only time where I've looked at one of these situations and said "yeah, he made the right choice going with his A pick" is Bakemonogatari. And that's probably because I'm not really high on girls with glasses, so Hitagi was the superior choice to Tsubasa (although I wouldn't have faulted him for going after Nadeko or Suruga, even though that last one wasn't going to happen)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote
Quote:
because that's where it would fall alphabetically, which is the only proper way to display one's collection

Sorry, but there is no "proper" way to display one's collection. The best way to display your collection is "what ever works for you". That applies to everyone. It is after all "their" collection.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I think the Nuku Nuku OVA and original TV series are still awesome.

Its funny to hear the show isn't pure fan services, Sentia marketing choices seems to just be a choice.... sex everything up, even if it turns some people away. I might give the show a shot now knowing its not some type of heriam...
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of Nyankoi and I definitely think that Erin's judgement was kind of off some what.......
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Sailor S wrote
Quote:
because that's where it would fall alphabetically, which is the only proper way to display one's collection

Sorry, but there is no "proper" way to display one's collection. The best way to display your collection is "what ever works for you". That applies to everyone. It is after all "their" collection.

Rolling Eyes

That emoticon needs to be a lot bigger to properly convey the feeling right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3