• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tekken Film, Game's Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
For the love of God tell me that it has been confirmed somewhere that the original Japanese language with subtitles will be available on the US disc.

If I hear any more of this awful Xiaoyu dubbing my head will explode.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the dubbing's the problem, and not those dumb clips. Rolling Eyes
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I already have tickets to see it tomorrow. Very Happy
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Bought tickets Yesterday, can't wait!
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
..... I really should have waited before preordering tickets Confused That dubbing is horrible and I expected some decent CG. The trailer made the animation look very fast paced, but it's actually very clunky.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll need to wait until the movie/game release but I'm looking forward to it at least for the eye candy.

I don't see how the fight animation of their moves in that second clip was clunky or slow really, I thought it was plenty quick and smooth and the pacing of the blocks was the same as in a lot of martial arts movies, I liked it and even the acrobatic flip felt smooth to me. And the CGI versions of their game designs and costumes and little things like the detail level of their hair and how it moved, and effects and dirt/scuff marks looked quite nice in that clip like they did in the trailer. I'm sure some of the later/bigger fight scenes will be faster and more over-the-top.

Agreed Gatsu, even if the overall plot ends up pretty exciting thanks to Dai Sato I'm still expecting the actual dialogue of a fighting game movie to merely allow for at best an iffy somewhat fun dub with the occasional awkward cheesy fighting-game line no matter how talented the casting choices (and most of these people have done really good in other work so to me it'll be the script not the dubbing) so I'm not really expecting to see any mind-blowing performances in either the dub or sub track since the script will no doubt be fighting-gamey. Plus it's merely two scenes two of which have the same character so if you don't like one it's doubtful you'd like the other especially if you don't like high-pitched schoolgirl Xiaoyu.

While nothing special I really didn't get that particularly the action clip voicing was so horrible, Xiaoyu was just as I expected given her character, even the robot's head moment as it's the Tekken universe and the way she said it matched her reaction and the tone of the moment even if it would probably sound more natural with more seriousness, and the robotic voice was pretty cool.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
I've been a die-hard Tekken fan since T2 (my ANN profile stating my Tekken love hasn't changed since I registered).

The English voices don't match up with the mouth flaps at all, which is a lot more noticeable in 3D CGI. That's the main thing that bothered me. Though, after enjoying Xiaoyu's Japanese voice for the past decade, this dub actress doesn't even begin to do her justice and definitely had me cringing. (not that she retains her original Japanese VA in the subbed version of the movie for whatever reason, as opposed to every other Asian character in it. =/)

I agree that the two scenes looked somewhat "clunky." Xiaoyu's facial expressions and eye movement seemed a bit off in the first clip, and the second clip just seemed... not as fluid and perfect as Tekken FMV typically looks. I loved seeing Xiao ride in on Panda though. Anime smile

The FMV definitely looked more impressive smashed together in the trailers than in these two clips on their own. I didn't go to the screening last night, as again I'm not a fan of this dub at all and I'd rather see it with the voices I've grown accustomed to over the past 10+ years. I hear the reception has been mixed, though it can't be any worse than the other two movies. Hopefully I can avoid spoilers on the Tekken boards I visit (and here) long enough for the BD to come out.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I've been a die-hard Tekken fan since T2 (my ANN profile stating my Tekken love hasn't changed since I registered).

The English voices don't match up with the mouth flaps at all, which is a lot more noticeable in 3D CGI. That's the main thing that bothered me. Though, after enjoying Xiaoyu's Japanese voice for the past decade, this dub actress doesn't even begin to do her justice and definitely had me cringing. (not that she retains her original Japanese VA in the subbed version of the movie for whatever reason, as opposed to every other Asian character in it. =/)

I agree that the two scenes looked somewhat "clunky." Xiaoyu's facial expressions and eye movement seemed a bit off in the first clip, and the second clip just seemed... not as fluid and perfect as Tekken FMV typically looks. I loved seeing Xiao ride in on Panda though. Anime smile

The FMV definitely looked more impressive smashed together in the trailers than in these two clips on their own. I didn't go to the screening last night, as again I'm not a fan of this dub at all and I'd rather see it with the voices I've grown accustomed to over the past 10+ years. I hear the reception has been mixed, though it can't be any worse than the other two movies. Hopefully I can avoid spoilers on the Tekken boards I visit (and here) long enough for the BD to come out.

They changed her Japanese voice too? Weird. The only thing kinda clunky to me is the mouth flaps timing/animation thing since it seems pretty clear the mouths have been animated and timed to the Japanese track.

I agree from the sound of the mediocre reaction of the screenings that the trailer did make the movie seem more badass than it has apparently turned out, awesome job on the trailer guys lol. I'm still looking forward to the eye candy of the fights at least on BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1