• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Updates

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
So, really, Manga has announced from the toppest hight that it has no intention whatsoever to pull up from this decent into madness and lolicon.

Well, that was fun, who wants to wait for Kazé to pull Manga's arse from the fire with Tiger and Bunny?
Napsack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So, really, Manga has announced from the toppest hight that it has no intention whatsoever to pull up from this decent into madness and lolicon.

Well, that was fun, who wants to wait for Kazé to pull Manga's arse from the fire with Tiger and Bunny?
Just because you don't like the show doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out the pram and throw a hissy fit. You big baby.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Napsack wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Just because you don't like the show doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out the pram and throw a hissy fit. You big baby.

If Strike Witches and Vampire Bund release, the newspapers WILL pick up on them and they WILL pull another "Ban this sick filth" and the UK anime cause will be set back another decade.

And I'll be blunt, I don't want that to happen over shit like Vampire Bund and Strike Witches.

Last edited by ConanSan on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Either the BBFC is no longer as meticulous as it once was, or its standards have become more permissive. Either possibility is desirable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Either the BBFC are no longer as meticulous as they once were, or their standards have become more permissive. Either possibility is desirable.
I take no pleasure in knowing my Tax Money's being wasted in letting lolita trash in. Ether all the balls get removed from the pool or none of them.
Napsack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Either the BBFC are no longer as meticulous as they once were, or their standards have become more permissive. Either possibility is desirable.
I take no pleasure in knowing my Tax Money's being wasted in letting lolita trash in. Ether all the balls get removed from the pool or none of them.
I bet you're 12 or something. You don't even pay tax little boy.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

haha wasting tax money on rating a show it probably cost only £50 or so to put a rating on it yet over 2 million was spent on the pope's visit and you know what he's done right the whole keeping real peadophiles safe by moving them around.

Now my question to you is what shows do you want them to bring over eh?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Napsack wrote:
I bet you're 12 or something. You don't even pay tax little boy.
23, I pay my taxes (and you say anything like that again and so help me...) so I feel like governmental services like the BBFC should preform to their proper remit.
Ether they don't censor and give us uncut Paranoia Agent and Code Geass (Though More the former than the latter, the latter's more a case of "really, BBFC?") and then they can approve whatever shit they like or they can demand cuts on Paranoia Agent and then they must put the boot right into Strike Witches and Bund.

I don't willingly pay my taxes to be wasted on Hypocrites.

yurihellsing wrote:
haha wasting tax money on rating a show it probably cost only £50 or so to put a rating on it yet over 2 million was spent on the pope's visit and you know what he's done right the whole keeping real peadophiles safe by moving them around.
1. I don't care for Emperor Palpatine and given we're talking about young girls and not young boys, nether does he.
2. Yeah, I'd be very surprised if we only pay £50 per person on the BBFC

yurihellsing wrote:

Well, going from a list of what Funimation alone has released:
    Seto No Hanayome (A fairly high seller for Funimation)
    Baka and Test (A show they went out of their way to avoid when acquiring Bund in-spite it being the better of the two by about a country mile)
    Sgt. Frog (A brilliant redub, snubbed because it's a comedy)
    Kenichii (A Best Seller for Funimation, it now looks like Manga's caught wind of that being a comedy and has canned it)
    And the old guard of the Never Never (One Piece, Dragonball, etc)

That's at least Six shows that I will grantee you will do better for Manga in both PR and money than this loli pap will do them.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="Conan-san"]
Napsack wrote:
I bet you're 12 or something.
    Baka and Test (A show they went out of their way to avoid when acquiring Bund in-spite it being the better of the two by about a country mile)
    Kenichii (A Best Seller for Funimation, it now looks like Manga's caught wind of that being a comedy and has canned it)

all stuff that's done well in America and i am so sick of UK distributors cherry picking from what ever the Americans have gotten for themselves.

also you just sound like a snob pure and simple.
Ren of Heavens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

"Your" tax money isn't doing a thing, the publisher has to pay a fee of around £250 for each half-hour episode or £450 for an hour long episode to get it certified for sale in the UK. That comes to around £3,000 in fees to certify each of those.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
[quote="yurihellsing"]
Conan-san wrote:
Napsack wrote:

all stuff that's done well in America and i am so sick of UK distributors cherry picking from what ever the Americans have gotten for themselves.

If Snobbery precludes being a pedophile, I'll take that weight.
Fudce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I feel like governmental services like the BBFC should preform to their proper remit.

From Wikipedia:

The BBFC, is a non-governmental organisation, funded by the film industry.

Their remit is to rate DVDs and movies based on criteria set by their guidelines. These guidelines are created based on input from the public and aren't politically influenced.

Quote:
Ether they don't censor and give us uncut Paranoia Agent and Code Geass (Though More the former than the latter, the latter's more a case of "really, BBFC?") and then they can approve whatever shit they like or they can demand cuts on Paranoia Agent and then they must put the boot right into Strike Witches and Bund.

Paranoia Agent had suicide. Code Geass had a single frame with no context. The BBFC looks in to context and the value of the scene when rating things. Like it or not, a single still image of breast groping with no context is a lot worse than an entire episode focussed around the theft of underpants. There's nothing in Strike Witches that wasn't in a hundred series beforehand with the exception of the fact they don't wear trousers. It's creepy, but creepiness isn't banworthy.

As for Bund, I've not seen it so can't comment, but clearly the BBFC decided that the context was as such they could release it with only a 15 certificate and the warning that it contains 'Sexualised Nudity'.

Quote:
yurihellsing wrote:

That's at least Six shows that I will grantee you will do better for Manga in both PR and money than this loli pap will do them.

If you want them, email Manga and ask for them! They're always happy to hear from the people who buy anime and what they want. The problem you have is that there are a lot more people who WILL buy that crap you don't like.
Manga have the numbers for the titles they release, and aren't just picking titles to piss you off. They make educated decisions on what they release and they're not always decisions we will understand. Seto no Hanayome was quite a surprise hit for Funimation if you ask me. Surprises don't always transfer across the pond. There's still chance for BakaTest to be released over here - give it time and ask them.

Not sure about Sgt. Frog. Does Funi have the UK rights? If not, they'd have to go to Japan to get the rights. It's all about money, and a title like Sgt. Frog will likely be expensive.

Kenichi was clearly cancelled since Manga saw the sales for similar titles they've released in the past and said no.

You're also insane if you think that Manga AREN'T trying to get DBZ or One Piece over here. They would be instant sellers, but the problem is again rights. Funi don't have the UK rights so they have to go to japan or that company in France to get the rights for these two.

At the end of the day, stop being so selfish. Manga are choosing what they want to release based on what they think people want. You may disagree, but they know better than you do. If you want comedies, then buy what comedies there are out there. Take a photo of yourself with the DVD and receipt, and email it to them - with a list of what else you want. Start a facebook group for likeminded fans posting their receipts. Companies are always willing to listen to people who buy their things.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
[quote="Conan-san"]
yurihellsing wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Napsack wrote:

ahh i see you're another one who thinks liking loli makes you a peadophile also you may want to learn how we British spell it too.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Fudce wrote:
At the end of the day, stop being so selfish. Manga are choosing what they want to release based on what they think people want. You may disagree, but they know better than you do. If you want comedies, then buy what comedies there are out there. Take a photo of yourself with the DVD and receipt, and email it to them - with a list of what else you want. Start a facebook group for likeminded fans posting their receipts. Companies are always willing to listen to people who buy their things.

Actually, no, Manga do NOT listen to anyone's tweets, otherwise the Haruhi Season 2 issue would have not have arisen. So the facebook idea pissing in the wind, sorry.

Also, it's selfish to want to buy things I want to buy in my local area?

Fair enough, I'm the most selfish bastard known to man because I want to buy quality japanese cartoons and I openly state my dislike of companies acting like dolts and licensing things that will at best not do the numbers their expecting (because lord knows Twilight fans will NOT pick up Vampire Bund) and at worse be used by the newspapers to smear the walls and send the course of anime in the UK back to the god-damned stone age.

But hey, you want the stupid vampire loli crap that wasn't even adapted right? Be my god-damned guest.

Though, hey, tell me where I can BUY Redline and Kenichi in UK R2 and I'll shut up.

Oh right! You can't!

If you're going to back a horse, make sure it ain't one that's making a bolt for the glue factory every five minutes.

yurihellsing wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

ahh i see you're another one who thinks liking loli makes you a peadophile also you may want to learn how we British spell it too.

Yes, I'm not delusional. Loli has done nothing for the course of anime but make the industry and the people in and partaking in the industry worse.

Last edited by ConanSan on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Conan-san"]
Fudce wrote:
At the end of the day, stop
Yes, I'm not delusional.

It's been argued to death and back and there just is no link between the two.

also you must be delusional cause you seem to be unable to tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2