• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kansai Universities expand Curriculum to Include Anime, Manga, and Video Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like fun, but is it really going to have a practical use outside of college? I suspect many parents would be kind of ticked off to find their kid is blowing their money to study anime, manga and video games Wink
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
as if no one ever took one "stupid" class in college for the elective credit....

personally, i think it's not a legitimate "study" but you can't take EVERYTHING in life seriously....so why not?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
From what I read. The students can used their skills in Manga to be used on other publishing area (ie. books and brochures).

This is a heed of adise for anyone who wants to do this. Aside from learning Japanese. A potential student must have a killer portfolio, emphisising on Human and Animal Study, Color design, layout design, and any published work.

This is the same with video game study.

My parents were very understanding and encourging in my study. It also pays to have relatives who were famous artists (uncle created several logos in Korean and especially the 1988 Olympic Mascot, Hodori).

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
Not only that, but I think that often the humanities view of anime/manga as an extention of Japanese popular culture, and there for, of Japanese culture is underrated.

Any American student can study anime or manga at their own schools. And write papers about the history, the influence or about a certain genre or director. There are graduate students studying this right now.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think studying anime and manga at a university is blowing your parent's money. To me, one of the best things about the free world is that as adults, we're able to make our own choices. People should respect each other's choices, and be happy that we are all unique with different interests. Studying anime or manga can result in numerous career opportunities, so it is not a waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juniper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:

My parents were very understanding and encourging in my study. It also pays to have relatives who were famous artists (uncle created several logos in Korean and especially the 1988 Olympic Mascot, Hodori).

Ranmah

*toot toot toot!*

So your uncle was "famous." This doesn't change some of the views propounded by Asian parents that anything not science-related is a waste of money. Then again, this is *in* Japan, so the atmosphere is probably quite different there than in first-gen Asian parents in America. It's easy to say that adults should be able to choose their own path in life, but it's much easier said than done, especially in Asian families. Especially if they're paying for school.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote
well that is true with most asian families. It's just a matter of family. My parents are both PhD's, my little bro is going for his master in Aerospace. My mom knew early on that my skill was in the arts.

I think in time the views of most families, particularlly Asian families, will change with time. I can't stand science and math so my field was generally narrowed to either English or art.

your right it does boil down to money. Maybe it's good to start off in a smaller school, take classes (art and Japanese), get your associates degress and then try applying to the Japanese School. If you guys have enough drive, anything is possible.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:40 am Reply with quote
*raises hand shyly*

Um, I'm assuming that the way the article was written, that most of these students actually want to work in anime/manga/video game field as a career, not just study for pleasure?

I mean, if you're taking an elective blow-off class, you usually don't have the almost-obsessive attitude that some of these people do...I'm sure there are plenty of students taking this as elective blow-off, but I'm also sure that many other students are serious.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:33 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they're doing this as a career. I spent four years on my Animation Degree.

ranmah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1