• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How good is this site's anime and manga encyclopedia?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I browsed through it and there seems to be some anime and manga titles that are already out in U.S. for quite some time that are still missing.

If there's a better online anime and manga encyclopedia, please give me the website.

I also need a website that has info on manga release dates. This site only has U.S. anime release dates it seems.

That also means I need a website that has info on anime and manga release dates in Japan since I occasionally import.

Thanks to those who can help.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Rem wrote:
I browsed through it and there seems to be some anime and manga titles that are already out in U.S. for quite some time that are still missing.

there are a few other sites out there that compile portions of this information, in some cases better than us, in some cases worse.

if you read the bibliography you'll find links to a few more sites that might be helpful..

the best manga guide, for instance, is PRISMS (i've yet to find a better resource for manga-related titles, even tho it's a little old)...

but, from what i've seen here and elsewhere, we typically have the most complete "all around" information for various series, covering English and Japanese authors, artists (even the minor ones), production staff and such.

the encyclopedia isn't complete (it's only got 2100 titles; there are over 4000.. and that's excluding the thousands of manga released each year...) but it's got quite a bit of info. if you see something we're missing, please, by all means feel free to add it! :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for replying. Here are some title I found not in this site's encyclopedia:

manga: Ranma 1/2
Revenge of Mouflon (Japanese name: Houfuku No Mouflon)

If I find more, I'll add them.
Rem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's an addition to the list

manga: Ranma 1/2 (Japanese: Ranma Nibunnoichi)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Japanese: Shinseiki Evangelion)
Revenge of Mouflon (Japanese: Houfuku No Mouflon)
Rem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I still need at least one reply on my other questions:

1. Can someone recommend me a website that has info on manga release dates? PRISM doesn't have one and this site only has U.S. anime release dates. This is also a site suggestion for this site, so it can be more helpful to manga readers and not just anime watchers.

2.That also means I need a website that has info on anime and manga release dates in Japan since I occasionally import. Can someone recommend me some too?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Rem wrote:
Here's an addition to the list

manga: Ranma 1/2 (Japanese: Ranma Nibunnoichi)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Japanese: Shinseiki Evangelion)
Revenge of Mouflon (Japanese: Houfuku No Mouflon)

Hi Rem,

Our current focus is on Anime, we're fairly certain that we have every single anime that has been released in North America.

On teh other hand, we are very much aware of the fact that there are many Manga missing.

This is a new project that is just over 6 months old, and at thsi time it can not be called "comprehensive." Nonetheless, for a project that's not even a year old, I'd say we have an extremely impressive amount of information.

Hopefully within 2-3 years the encyclopedia will be comprehensive for both Anime and Manga.

As for the titles you mentioned:

manga#1605 (added in July 2002, but I just added the Japanese title, thank you for telling us)

The other two Manga titles have not yet been added, hopefully they will be soon.

By the way, you can add titles directly to the Encyclopedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1