• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga About Victim of Korean Kidnapping

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:06 am Reply with quote
hmm, odd idea. not sure what to say about it exactly. how do you write a manwha based an unsolved missing persons case?
hkrok76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:18 am Reply with quote
it's a manga...which means it's going to be from japan....i'm guessing they're going to show her life from before the kidnapping. i hope it does something. must be a sad thing to everyone involved, minus the kidnappers. damn bastards.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:49 am Reply with quote
yeah anything about North Korea and Japan is pretty sensative. I get asked that question alot from my Non-Korean friends. I want to say something, but I don't want to sound like a total ass.

I've followed this story for quite sometime and it won't go away anytime soon. It just makes me sick for the "Chosin Byungshins" (bad word) to do that.

I might take a look at the manga to see what it looks like.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:59 am Reply with quote
Jeez...you think that some tensions in the world are just slipping, then you hear about this...definately something for me to think about on my way to school...just terrible...
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
The abduction issue is the main obstacle to Japan's participation in a successful solution of the North Korea problem. In a lot of ways the incredibly rich victim supporters' network has hijacked the issue from even the victims themselves. It's certainly a terrible case, but I wish Japanese would remember that they abducted thousands upon thousands of Koreans in the early 20th century and that a few dozen Japanese abducted by North Korea thirty years ago is not a reason to bring the peace process to a screeching halt. What's more, the Japanese who demand that the children of the abductees be sent to Japan, while understandable, are being unreasonable from a legal perspective. They were born in North Korea, and so they're North Korean citizens.

It's a more complicated and less clear-cut issue than most people think, and the manga will just contribute to the giant national experience of victimhood over it.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quote
History can be such an awful, saddening thing, but at the same time I'm curious as to seeing what the manga will be like, and if there will be any prejudice on the part of the manga-ka. Let's hope not; this could turn an already ugly situation even uglier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the Japanese or Koreans will do a comic about that American soldier who defected to Korea.
astra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Heh, manga can bring up some pretty touchy issues. Remember the debate over that manga with the Rape of Nanking? The Japanese seem to have no problems with political manga when they are the victim. Good thing ambassadors don't read manga, or we could have an international crisis on our hands!

[size=7][size=9]I'd write a more serious post if I wasn't procrastinating.. Damn college. [/size][/size]
tomcat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Right now I don't know which has more annoyed me now, the triteness with which this subject has been subjected to in and by the posters, the let's not annoy the dear-North Korean Monsters other wise they won't once again falsely pormise us peace again!! Remember there is still a state of war between the free world and this Dictatorial/Fascistic mass-muderous state to whom their own populace was allowed to die slow deaths by the 100's of thousands simply becaue the state refused to allow them food for even mere survival.

The so-what this is nothing compared to what fascist Japan did between the turn of the century to 1945, the so they (N.K.) killed or kiddnapped a few dozen Japanese, I guess thay's only a fair payback to you!

Remember poser we are at war with a world-wide fascist movement now, just becase we just got our collective noses bloodied on Sept. 11th 2001, And this won't end till the last of these monsters are hanging from a lamppost for all to see how forgiving a pissed-off nation should and will act!!

Now somebody said its a wealthy crowd of supporters who have hi-jacked this subject! Well its good to hear that in Japan someone has the stones to stand up to the miserable peace-at-price-FOOLS, and the Japanese min. of foreign relations, as bad a pack of FOOLs as our own State Dept, and that they keep these crimes in the face of the entire Japanese nation till they are shamed into taking REAL ACTION aganist the North Korean Govt.

Oh and by-the way No Free Human Is the Property of the State otherwise its just plain slavey and the children of the abductee's are not the property of the lawess-state of North Korea they are the children of abducted Japanese Citizen's who when they were returned to Japan their children were held hostage for their silence on their treatment and to force the aductee's return to their enslavement in North Korea!! This did not happen the abductee's went public and this made such an outrage in Japan that the Japanese Govt. had to pressure and bribe the N.K. the turn over the kids/hostages.

Let's all hope that these mangas are soon translated and released in the U.S.A for all to see what kind of monsters we've foolishly been trying to cut a "PEACE" deal with, a deal only a Fool ( Jimmy Carter ) would belive in!
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
Right now I don't know which has more annoyed me now, the triteness with which this subject has been subjected to in and by the posters, the let's not annoy the dear-North Korean Monsters other wise they won't once again falsely pormise us peace again!!

I think I treated the subject extremely seriously. It seems to me you're the one who's decided it's a good opportunity to have a little unconstructive rant.

Quote:
Remember there is still a state of war between the free world and this Dictatorial/Fascistic mass-muderous state to whom their own populace was allowed to die slow deaths by the 100's of thousands simply becaue the state refused to allow them food for even mere survival.

"Free world?" Definition, please. the USSR is gone, and has been for more than a decade. It's time to wake up to the new international situation. And time to realize that there's more to the Korea issue than the Communist part. In fact I'd say in the last ten years it's become apparant that the Communism aspect is one of the least important in this conflict. The Japanese legacy from WWII is not some long-past peripheral issue, it's the main reason North Korea still exists, combined with American stupidity in handling Korea after WWII.

I'm not endorsing the government of Kim Jong-Il. Far from it. It's a terrible regime. But decades have shown us that isolating them isn't going to change anything. Doing that just feeds into the ideological stranglehold the Kim dynasty has over its people. We have to get into the country and show them what development can do. Obviously in the context of artillery pointed at Seoul military invasion is not an option. So that leaves economic engagement, and to carry out that strategy we'll need to play cards with Kim once in a while. It's the stark reality of the situation, and it takes more "stones" to own up to dealing with that than it does to shout slurs and then cower behind the Pacific Ocean when they have consequences.

I never said the abduction was "fair payback" or anything of the sort. I was simply reminding people of the important historical context of the Japanese invasion. In fact if you want to go there "fair payback" would be a lot, lot worse. But I think we both know that that's not a solution. Both sides are caught in a spiral of victimhood, and one side has to stop. The Japanese have enough to eat and a developed economy, so they can afford to suck it up and solve the problem. The starving North Korean population can't.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
That's a terrible story. I'm sure it's interesting, but it must be very depressing. North Korea is such an awful place, and Kim Jong Il is such an awful person... he's going to have to pay the price for his actions soon. Not just for what they've done to others, but what's been done in their own country, to their own people. And they're not just going to have to answer to us, but all of the surrounding countries.

More on the topic of manga, however, this is just one of many examples that proves how current and revelant manga and anime are. There's no way you can seperate manga and anime from politics and real-world events or write it off as a mere form of entertainment; to attempt to do so is further advance the stereotype of anime and manga being no more profound than ordinary cartoons or comics. I'm not going to name any names, but there are several individuals who refuse to acknowledge (or even attempt to find) any political viewpoints in anime. This is a childish way of looking at anime and manga, and a ridiculous, naive way of looking at the world.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
Right now I don't know which has more annoyed me now, the triteness with which this subject has been subjected to in and by the posters, the let's not annoy the dear-North Korean Monsters other wise they won't once again falsely pormise us peace again!!

But then, lets look at another perspective, the "Free World" kept a dictatorship in power for how many years in South Korea?

Or how about we look at another Asian peninsula that the "Free World" went to war with. The Vietnamese war has many similarities to the Korean war, except that the "Free World" ultimately lost that war. And look at Vietnam today. One must wonder if the current, poor state of affairs in Korea has anything to do with the "Free World's" miss-handling of the situation there.

All this really is beside the point though. What was done to Korea by Japan was a huge tragedy. What was done to Korea by America is a tragedy. What was done to Korea by its own rulers, North & South, is a Tragedy. And what North Korea did to a small number of Japanese civilians is also a tragedy (but of a much smaller scale).

And two wrongs, or any number of wrongs for that matter, doesn't make a right. What the North Korean's did to the Japanese citizens was a despicable act.

But your high and mighty attitude probably fails to look into the mirror and see al the worldwide suffering that your own country is responsible for, doesn't it?

As for the current political situation with Korea, I would hope that the goal of any civilized country (and person) would be to see a peaceful situation arise where North Korea is no longer a threat, North Korean's have food to eat, and both sides of Korea are fully democratic. A unified Korea would be a nice plus, but really, it doesn't matter outside of any emotional desire.

The question is, what's the best way to achieve that situation?
1) Peaceful negotiations and talks, allowing things to heal over time;
2) A hardline stance that maginalyzes the North Korean Government;
3) Or military action?

Recently, the "Free World" has chosen military action for Afghanistan and Iraq. Afghanistan appears to have been a success, but Iraq, where "The Free World" ignored the rest of the free world, things aren't going so well. Who's to say that things wouldn't go any worse in Korea? And would the people of North Korea be better off after a military invasion? I can assure you that right now, the people of Iraq are much worse off than they were a year ago. Sure they're "free"... free to be homeless, bombed by their liberators, shot at by the supporters of their former government, etc... How many years will it take for their actual situation to improve? And how much will they have to pay for their liberation?

Perhaps the fear that military action would worsen the situation, and the knowledge that a policy of marginalization has never succeeded anywhere, may be why diplomats are trying to do this the diplomatic way?

On another note, I'm with Vekou about hoping that this manga gets brought over. People need to be reminded / made aware of things like this.

-t
drowz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:

I've followed this story for quite sometime and it won't go away anytime soon. It just makes me sick for the "Chosin Byungshins" (bad word) to do that.

Hope you haven't used that "bad word" too much, since Choson refers to Korea's name of old and not the current day North. That is unless my readings upon East Asian history is off, though a quick google appears to support this.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:34 am Reply with quote
Really, though, Iraq and Afghanistan have nothing to do with Korea, which is surrounded by developed and highly populated urban centers. An invasion of North Korea would mean the destruction of Seoul and most of the rest of South Korea as well as, possibly, indiscriminate destruction in Japan from missiles. And we can't afford to sacrifice the lives of the 21 million people in the "kill box" no matter how fast we want Kim gone. Even the Bush administration realizes this.

drowz wrote:
Hope you haven't used that "bad word" too much, since Choson refers to Korea's name of old and not the current day North. That is unless my readings upon East Asian history is off, though a quick google appears to support this.

At least in Japan it can also refer to North Korea (Kita-Chosen).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:33 am Reply with quote
tomcat:

Quote:
The so-what this is nothing compared to what fascist Japan did between the turn of the century to 1945, the so they (N.K.) killed or kiddnapped a few dozen Japanese, I guess thay's only a fair payback to you!

Actually, fair payback would be in the form of reparations. But since the Japanese government won't officially do that, the victims and/or their families have to take each case to court.

Quote:
and that they keep these crimes in the face of the entire Japanese nation till they are shamed into taking REAL ACTION aganist the North Korean Govt.

Um, under the American-Japanese constitution, Japan couldn't make the first move if it wanted to. Legally, they can only have a self-defense force.

Quote:
Oh and by-the way No Free Human Is the Property of the State

Just corporations, now that they've mapped out our genetic codes.

Twage:
Quote:
the USSR is gone, and has been for more than a decade.

Too bad the people running the show (*cough* Putin *cough*) are still here...

Tempest:
Quote:
Or how about we look at another Asian peninsula that the "Free World" went to war with. The Vietnamese war has many similarities to the Korean war, except that the "Free World" ultimately lost that war.

We actually lost both wars. But Korea is considered a cease-fire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3