• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gregory Horror Show DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I'll have to check this out sometime. Hopefully it'll do well, and more of the weird experimental anime out there will be liscensed. And hopefully it won't end up like Gankutsuou, where they've got a really unique visual style but not a plot to match it, and I get bored after a couple episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, VAs overacting?

Wow, I thought Blue Water Studios changed their ways, but I guess that's why Geneon chose them. Rolling Eyes
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
And hopefully it won't end up like Gankutsuou, where they've got a really unique visual style but not a plot to match it, and I get bored after a couple episodes.

Gankutsuou has a really great plot (though just how much of the original story is going to be adapted by the anime, and how, is still a question), and it moves pretty fast, too. It might be boring to those who don't like complex psychological drama, but otherwise it's excellent. IMO.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Gregory Horror Show pales in comparison to Gankutsuou. Where Gankutsuou has an engaging storyline to push the series forward, GHS fails in that it lurks along 2-minute vignettes at a time. The segments are so short that nothing ever comes out of each one, and it gets really old after 10 minutes or so.

Sadly, there's three volume of Gregory Horror Show, and the 2nd and 3rd volumes are almost carbon copies of the 1st disc, except they change a main character, and chronicle their stay at the Gregory House.

IMO, Gregory Horror Show isn't worth seeing more than 20 minutes of, just for the novelty of the art.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
jfrog wrote:
And hopefully it won't end up like Gankutsuou, where they've got a really unique visual style but not a plot to match it, and I get bored after a couple episodes.

Gankutsuou has a really great plot (though just how much of the original story is going to be adapted by the anime, and how, is still a question), and it moves pretty fast, too. It might be boring to those who don't like complex psychological drama, but otherwise it's excellent. IMO.

Eh, I disagree. I dropped it awhile ago, but the parts I saw were predictable as all hell. Not the overarching plot itself, I found the whole story pretty interesting (which placed The Count of Monte Cristo fairly high on my too-damn-long list of books to read). But it seemed that whenever I was watching it I could figure out how the episode was going to end a couple minutes in.

I've come to like anime series with really short episode running times, with Studio 4°C's Eternal Family and Tweeny Witches. But part of the appeal there is just how much they cram into the short running time, especially when compared to the ridiculously slow pacing of shows like Beck (do we really need an episode that's just the main character practicing his guitar?). So maybe I can cross this off my list and finally get around to seeing Texhnolyze instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

IMO, Gregory Horror Show isn't worth seeing more than 20 minutes of, just for the novelty of the art.

Yeah, and i can tell that just by looking at the trailer. Razz Wink
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
While the animation style is interesting, it is much more suited for a cheerful show like Pecola (which I found to be a charming way to wake up when it aired on Cartoon Network). Although I liked the preview for GHS, I'm not sure where Naomi Iwata expects to take the show... I'd like to see it, but I can't justify spending money on a DVD I'll only watch once.
Dunestar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Confused While I'd admit I wouldn't exactly spend money (got this as a free gift), The Gregory Horror Show does have some interesting qualities to it. Yet, the vignettes give me the impression the series originally started off as an anime flash film you'd probably download off of CyberSpace.

Wink But I digress, actually, I liked the show since it possesses sort of a Twilight Zone/Vincent Price-esque quality to it. Sure some of the elements are predictable, but take it from someone who's survived 3 decades, that's what makes it rather amusing. The horror in this case is more like something you'd find along the lines of The Addams Family (could you imagine Pugsley and Wednesday visiting Gregory House?) or The Munsters while still retaining an air of Hitchcock in the process.

Unlike most anime I've witnessed recently, Gregory Horror Show is just good escapism at best, when you have nothing better to watch and just want to kill some time.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Nitpick: When the main character is "YOU" that means the story is technically told from the second-person perspective, not the first-person-- in that case the main character would be "ME."

Anyway, I actually enjoyed this DVD more than I thought I would. If you stick with it through the rather dull first half it gets quite interesting, especially the use of live action and of course "Judgment Boy!" Also, the lack of a Japanese dub track really didn't hurt it all that much-- I thought the English VAs did an excellent job of matching the action on screen. If they seem to be "over-acting" it's because it's a cartoon. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1