• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Brazil Wins World Cosplay Summit 2011

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean any disrespect or anything by this, but I have seen way better costumes at San Diego Comic Con's Masquerade over the years (and those guys pretty much compete for bragging rights and a trophy).

Congrats to the winners regardless. It's cool that they all got a chance to go to Japan for the finals.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I read in the rules of WCS that you can't use smoke effects. And the Brazilians used...smoke effects.

Wow, who was watching the chicken coop, the fox?
SYLiENT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Wait, I read in the rules of WCS that you can't use smoke effects. And the Brazilians used...smoke effects.

Wow, who was watching the chicken coop, the fox?

No, this is just how the World Cosplay Summit works. I remember getting into cosplay around the time the US was included into the competition. After the competition the US participants wrote posts about how flawed and rigged the whole thing was. Heck, there was drama during the selection process for representatives!

Here are some links of interests if you want to know about that whole debacle:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=62936
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=127680
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Are smoke effects literally smoke released when they make their entrance? I don't know what smoke effects are if they aren't.

The winners don't look like the best cosplays of those characters I've ever seen, but they still look pretty darn good.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wish there were some better pics of the Austrailian girl who cosplayed D.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go look up those DW7 cosplays! Wow, I can't believe Dynasty Warriors 7 got some good cosplay exposure! I'm really proud of you, son/daughter! Sniff. Anime hyper
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that I've seen better costumes at conventions, but maybe I'm missing something by not having been at the event. BTW, I wish the pictures had captions as having to jump from picture gallery to article and then back to the pictures is rather inefficient. Luckily I knew some pictures without having to scour the article for background, like the picture of JAM Project.

Speaking of which, the phrase "conservatively dressed" is one someone should introduce to the band. At first I thought their female singer there was pregnant, and I'm not sure on that. What I am sure about is that she's attired as though she were convinced to use Hot Topic as her clothier of choice, and it isn't very forthcoming. Not just because I don't find her attractive, but mainly because JAM Project is a venerated J-band and seeing them stoop so low, pandering to crass fans, is depressing.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
That's how Jam Project normally dresses, I have no idea what type of music you think Jam Project does but it's always over the top.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's how Jam Project normally dresses, I have no idea what type of music you think Jam Project does but it's always over the top.

I'm quite familiar with the music that JAM Project performs. However, how "over the top" you believe a band's music to be has no provable bearing on how they dress. The woman's attire is cheap pandering--if you're going to try and make yourself into a sex symbol, at least do it with class. There's also some serious discrepancy between the male band setup and the woman's. The guys are all dressed like the aged rockers that they are, whereas she is, again, dressed like a woman of ill-repute from Hot Topic. Lack of class aside, the pose and the garb combined with her figure do not present the alluring image that she is trying to project. Also, "aged rocker" and that garb should not go together. Is there no class left in the world?

Stay Classy JAM Project
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
SYLiENT wrote:

That's...sad. I'm not usually sympathetic, but I feel bad for those non-Italian contestants. I'm not really shocked, but it's still a bummer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I went to the one in Nagoya 3 years ago and it was obviously a fully staged event and not a real competition.

I'm sorry there are so many innocent cosplayers out there with their hopes of a real national competition dashed... The World Cosplay summit is a tourism initiative, nothing more than that.

You should go into it hoping to get a free, fully chaperoned trip to Japan and an opportunity to perform in front of a decent crowd there.
It is not a real competition, it never has been, and it was pretty obvious to me as someone in the audience the year I attended. The effort of the participants was real, but the "competition" part was not.

On the other hand, some of the local qualifiers might be properly judged, depending on the country.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Its kind of sad to hear how rigged something like this is, it kind of defeats the purpose of a competition to have the winner picked out beforehand. I feel bad for those kids, they seemed to have at least tried their best, all for naught....

Oh, and dissing JAM Project? That's a paddlin'.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'd be such a crap judge at one of these things. There are so many fantastic outfits and I could never choose "the best".
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:
Are smoke effects literally smoke released when they make their entrance? I don't know what smoke effects are if they aren't.

Video of the Brazilian skit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKSiyr8UYc&feature=player_embedded

Am I hearing things, or is that Aladdin playing in the background?
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
Let's remember that no matter how many "good cosplays" you see in a convention, just one will reach the WCS. As for the competition, well, as they say, "your mileage may vary"; being a jury is quite difficult and sometimes, is quite hard to tell which is "the best".

Besides: their contest, their rules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2