• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I prefer dubs. I love to watch animation because I love the look of animation (CG, cell, claymation/stop-motion, etc). Subtitles just get in the way. My eyes are constantly being diverted to the subtitles to understand the dialogue, when they should be focusing on the visuals. I find myself not picking up the complete story, either because I've missed some of the visuals while reading the dialogue, or missing dialogue because I'm watching the visuals. Plus, with some subtitles, if you blink you could miss an entire conversation.
Olaf Forkbeard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Dubs. I like being able to fall asleep to the anime and being able to still understand it.

I respect subs though. You learn a lot of interesting new information if you go over an anime again in subs. And for some reason I can't stand Soul Eater in english. IDK why.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubs.
I can enjoy the show more when I understand what I am hearing, as opposed to reading a translation of what I am hearing. I also find reading subtitles to be generally distracting.

But this is not to say that I cannot enjoy watching subs.
My three favorite shows right now are Aria, Maria Watches Over Us, and Cardcaptor Sakura. None of them are dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YaoiQueen333

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I prefer subs. I do like a lot of dubbed anime, though.

The reason I like subs a little better is because you just gotta love those Japanese voice actors! Every time I watch an anime in sub, I never think, "Oh, that voice doesn't match the character at all!" which happens quite a bit with dubbed anime *cough* Gravitation dubbed Shuichi *cough*.

Plus it's always nice trying to learn a little Japanese with anime. xD
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z is probably the only anime I'd choose dub over sub.

Ah, a masochist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs because I don't like most American accents very much. I tend to find the women in most dubs far too whiny and annoying. I do try and give them a chance though, and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, like with FMA.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
If the dub is good, I generally prefer watching dubs, though either way is perfectly fine for me. The way the R1 anime industry is lately, a lot less shows that I'm potentially interested in get dubbed and it feels like quality has gone down somewhat due to lesser budgets. So, I do think I watch the majority of stuff in Japanese with subtitles lately even despite my preference, and try the random dub when something I like actually gets one.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the subtitled version since I like hearing the seiyuu speak in the original language the anime was created from. Although I do not understand very much Japanese it is entertaining to listen to. It is a nice option though that dubs are widely available for individuals to listen in English as well to have these choices that can afford more people to become interested in anime and become fans of it.
cuckundu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs. I usually don't have any trouble paying attention to the text and the animation simultaneously (I guess I'm weird that way), and the dubs I've watched never seem to fit right with the animation.
greatyu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
depends, however i prefer subs if the voice actors are doing a good job, otherwise i switch to the dub.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I prefer that R1 anime be dubbed for a few reasons:

1. It is an indication of a stronger market, or at least a perception by the issuing company of a market good enough to support a dub. This in turn makes it available to a wider market.

2. It is easier to get someone who is not an anime fan to watch a dubbed release.

3. It cuts down on the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth of a segment here on the forums.

That being said, I always run the sub titles, even on those very rare occasions when I listen to the dub. The last one I listened to was Black Lagoon. They did themselves proud in the language used.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Dammit dammit dammit, I MEANT to pick "sub".
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs over dubs. I've grown up watching subtitles - soaps (yes Embarassed, ATWT, The Bold... don't like them anymore), English movies, Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, etc. How come? Well, these media are not made in my mother language: Dutch and fortunately no one tried to dub them in Dutch. When I was reintroduced by a friend to anime, I watched them in subs too.
Now Japanese doesn't even sound weird to me anymore, while dubs often sound unnatural to me. I have the same reaction to some Disney and other animation movies and I CRINGE when I hear Hannah Montana in Dutch!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sub person basically for all film media. In the beginning I used to watch anime raw, so having a subbed feature was like "a life saver". Once it became mainstream if I had a choice it was "subbed only" because 1) I couldn't take the dubs I'd hear, and 2) The localization was off sometimes. Sometimes I could never get used to a dubbed show yet many US shows are dubbed just in English. But hearing a foreign film dubbed was odd. So my reasoning was strongly biased the same way some newer fans felt, but for a more "legit" reason. I had a nice discussion with a dubbed fan a decade ago. I slowly changed my stance when I stared seeing the quality of dubs, but also because I spend a lot of time watching films with family members. There have been many times I've watched films that were subbed only and got upset that I couldn't view it with someone in my family. Plus, you can reach a wider audience with it. Which is why I prefer a subbed/dubbed release. So my stance on having both I support, but if you can't especially, with niche titles then you have no choice. Since things got bad this is what we get. The only thing I hated was when some anime industries which originally had a feature subbed and dubbed ended up releasing a dubbed only DVD of the same feature. Talking about you MANGA Entertainment. Mad
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
I generally prefer dubs when I'm first watching a series--partially because I really enjoy being able to look at the animation and art style (when it's good), but mostly because I retain information MUCH better when I hear it than when I just read it on a screen. When watching a sub I'm constantly forgetting who characters are or what such-and-such refers to. Once I run through a show with English audio, I can rewatch it with the sub and follow along better. It also helps that I've watched enough dubs now that I feel a little "at home" hearing some favorite English VAs pop up.

That being said, I've gotten better about being able to keep up with subs and I can enjoy anime just fine that way, too. (And I also have plenty of favorite Japanese actors!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15