• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I am ready for this. My body and mind are ready as well. Can't wait to buy the BD version of this, come faster!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
This trailer is a failure. Not putting a single scene in when they're fighting witches has to be one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen for a trailer. Of course I'm buying this, but Aniplex's marketing team didn't even bother with this.

EDIT: Just look at this fan trailer (contains slight spoilers) and look at how much more it pumps you up than what AniplexUSA released.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the trailer is very amusing for established fans in how misleading it is. But yeah I am not sure amusing was the best way to attract new fans.
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I think the trailer is very amusing for established fans in how misleading it is. But yeah I am not sure amusing was the best way to attract new fans.

I was wondering if this was not the case. I personally have never seen one bit of the show nor read anything about it, but I have seen how popular it is and how wide a range of fans it has. So when I saw this trailer pop up I thought, "hmmm, this will be a chance for me to see what this is all about." 2 minutes later I'm thinking.....ummm...hrmmm. Huh? Not to offend any huge fans but it really looked like something geared toward young kids. Has the trailer just thrown me for a loop or what?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is probably going to be a double whammy kind of thing, where you watch the first trailer and think its kind of cute and status-quo for magical girl stuff, then the second trailer comes in and rocks your head to the back of the auditorium. I'm definately going to get this, Aniplex crzy pricing be damned.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Kinda disappointing that all they did was add subtitles to a Japanese trailer. They even subtitled the static character descriptions and production staff credits. But then again, isn't this how Aniplex USA has always done its trailers up to this point-- just take the Japanese trailers and put subtitles? They're just going by their own status quo, sadly.

As I predicted, Madoka Magica presents a bit of a predicament for American marketers. They can hold true to the spirit of the original Japanese marketing for the series and thus surprise more people, but... this marketing just holds no water in the American market; consumers with no knowledge of the nature of the show (or the unorthodox combination of staff behind it) will see this trailer and probably won't give it a second thought. Or they can include bits and pieces of darkness in their own trailers, which may incentivize more people to buy but may risk ruining the "surprise" elements that comes with said darkness, like the surreality of Gekidan Inu Curry's witch designs or little plot elements.

Hmm... maybe Aniplex USA is just aiming relatively low with this release and feels fine enough with simply getting the series into the hands of those that have already watched it. Maybe they're content with relying on the fanbase to spread its gospel and tell of just how "dark" and "mature" this series is. In that case, they may as well be going "Screw original marketing!" and subbing the Japanese trailers.

@batou37: Hellz YEAH the trailer's thrown you for a loop. Razz

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This trailer is a failure. Not putting a single scene in when they're fighting witches has to be one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen for a trailer. Of course I'm buying this, but Aniplex's marketing team didn't even bother with this.

EDIT: Just look at this fan trailer (contains slight spoilers) and look at how much more it pumps you up than what AniplexUSA released.

First I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that AniUSA only subbed this trailer and that this was originally a Japanese trailer. That being said this might have been pre-release trailer, which would explain the content.

I'm glad they're not going to give up the goods early on. I hate it when trailers spoil twists. As someone who is waiting to be surprised by the show (I haven't seen it yet) I'd have to say it's gotten me pretty pumped. Not to mention the trailer is not all rainbows and unicorns, the questions Homura asks Madoka are not run of the mill magical girl questions and hint towards something darker in the show.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The movie trailer does a good job on its own. It's a bit slow paced but i think this makes up for it.

I kind of understand Aniplex's approach to subbing japanese trailers but it isn't as if Madoka Magica will be airing on TV. Viewers won't just come in mid-season regretting missing the first episodes or anything of that sort. In my opinion, they used the wrong trailer to sub.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
Not to offend any huge fans but it really looked like something geared toward young kids. Has the trailer just thrown me for a loop or what?

Well........ uuuhhh.... *sigh* lol Sorry, I'm not sighing at what you said btw. I was sighing over how fans of the show themselves (and they might get annoyingly defensive over it) might responsed to what you said. For the record, I did see the whole thing and liked what I saw but I personally didn't like it enough to want to rewatch the whole thing over again. Probably cherry pick the 10th episode, but that's it. So to give an unbiased-point-of-view, the show is basically meant to give shock value, especially for viewers who are probably fans of the overall magical girl genre. It's really the light and fluffy feel of a magical girl show gone bitter by the end of episode 3, which is exactly what fans would tell you if you're not already sold on the show. They'll say, "just wait 'till the end of episode 3! You'll be hooked man!" and all that jazz.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
That initial paragraph kind of worires me when it comes to the translation and production of other materials for the show. It doesn't read or flow well at all.
As posted above, it probably is just a subtitled trailer, but I hope that this isn't it. If I had no idea about the show I wouldn't give it a second thought. They can show more content from the show without spoiling it while still showing off that this isn't a typical magical girl show for kids.
I don't know how the other trailers are, but if it's more of the same Aniplex of America should really create their own trailer for the US release.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has a loving family and best friends, laughs and cries from time to time...
Madoka Kaname - an eighth grader of Mitakihara middle school- is one of those who lives such a life.
One day, she had a very magical encounter.
She doesn't know if it happened by a chance or by fate yet.
This is a fateful encounter that can change her destiny-
This is a beginning of the new story of the magical girls-

This is sounds like it was written by a Japanese person.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

how is this a failure its just as misleading as the opening and I believe that's what Aniplex is going for, sides its not for you or me who have already seen it its for those who have never seen it before and don't know the real plot
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, and the people who have never seen it are not going to be interested in it with this trailer. The whole point of a trailer is to spark interest.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I don't know how the other trailers are, but if it's more of the same Aniplex of America should really create their own trailer for the US release.

All of the original CMs were that way, along with the initial concept art.
Even the homepage was overflowing with sugary cuteness to begin with.
They wanted to suck you in with the magical girl cuteness concept and make you think that was what you were going to be watching.

As already stated though, what they really wanted to do, was mislead the audience giving the darker aspects of the series more shock value.

A lot of people even said before it aired, that they wouldn't bother to watch it, because it looked like any other cutesie magical girl show.
Only to later start watching it because of the buzz.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Exactly, and the people who have never seen it are not going to be interested in it with this trailer. The whole point of a trailer is to spark interest.

so you don't think the buzz that it got when it aired this past Winter wouldn't be enough to spark interest for those who might want to know why everyone thought it was so good?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4