• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blind buy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which reason will makes you blind buy a series the most?
What's blind buy
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
There are many good reviews about this series.
41%
 41%  [ 32 ]
The series has great packaging, with good extras.
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
It’s a bargain bin title, or the series is on sale.
31%
 31%  [ 24 ]
Other
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 77

DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
This is a question mainly for people who still blind buy a series, without streaming it first. The thing that will make me blind buy the most is great packaging, with good extras. The last title I blind buy was Utena that Nozomi released, just the box alone makes me want to check out the series.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
I chose price as the biggest factor, though there are usually several factors in place on those rare occasions when I still blind buy. Good reviews and word-of-mouth along with how much the type of show appeals to me (if it's sci-fi or horror for example).
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
I usually go with reviews as my big factor, although I'm unlikely to hit the buy button unless the price is also right. I suppose in the past I have gone entirely on price, I did that with Noein since I had to make a decision then, it was a great decision too! I try not to research too much though cus then my expectations get too high and they're only more likely to get broken.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a specific thing. I just come across shows while surfing the net, go "That sounds interesting", check it's status (Licensed? OOP? Dubbed?), and then add it to the list.

If it is licensed, I add it to another list I have specifically for shows to buy; my wish list, if you will. From there, it can be anything. I bought Sacred Blacksmith because it was a true limited edition. Genshiken 2 Premium was in the last TRSI Christmas sale for $24. And I bought Magikano because it was $10. I would've bought all those shows anyway eventually, but those factors helped with the "when" decision.

Reviews don't really work for me. I'll read Theron's reviews every now and then, but those are more of a "Do I add it in my cart now or save it for later?" deal, so I'm already planning on buying the item in question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
For me it's often a combination of options 2 and 3. At first everything was a blind buy, based on what I saw on the packaging, but nowadays I'm slightly more organized about it. Only slightly. Sometimes it's the packaging, sometimes it's a review, sometimes it's my own research, and sometimes it's "Why Not?". These days it's mostly a combination of any or all of the above. I don't generally give price a lot of consideration - if I want it, and an expensive version is all that's available, then I pay.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Most of what I buy is a "blind buy". I don't do much streaming as I don't care for the limitations. If a show sounds really interesting I will watch an episode or two as a sample, but I'll only watch the entire show if it is really great and probably won't be released here (Skip Beat).

I chose "reviews" though it isn't really correct. I am mostly interested in what the show is about. What the reviewer thinks is a minor consideration. I used to get this information from the package and magazine reports/reviews, now I get it here.

The packaging and extras can assist or hinder my over all enjoyment of a purchase, but do not in anyway change my decision to buy. The show is the thing. All the extras out there will not get me to buy something I don't think I will like and the absence of extras or pretty packaging will not stop a purchase. It helps that I mostly don't listen to dubs.

I mostly buy a show that sounds interesting when it comes out. If it doesn't appear to be my thing, a sale or bargin bin will not change the decision. I use the bargin bin mostly to replace large footprint shows with more compact version for space considerations. I have used sales to finish a series I was iffy about or which was just too damn long to buy when it first came out (Inu Yasha).
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
"Other"
My decision on a blind buy is based mostly on what I hear about the show from other people, usually in web forums now. This is not the same as "reviews", which I almost never read.

Price is also an issue. I will not buy anything that is not on sale, but I must have a reason other than price to buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I rarely blind buy shows any more. Generally I will only blind buy if I am a fan of the manga, or I seen it when it was first airing, or watched fansubs before it got licensed. Since I am in the rent before I buy or rent so I don't have to buy mentality it has helped me a lot.

Now, manga on the other hand I almost have to go this way. But I treat it this way, I buy the first volume, if I don't like it I don't buy anymore of it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't exactly consider it a blind buy when I'm basing the purchase on reviews and such. For example, I hadn't seen Princess Tutu when I bought it, but I'd seen enough praise and positive reviews (and an AMV) that I was pretty certain I knew what I was in for. If I do blind buy, it's because a show is on sale and I've heard of it.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I have done that on several occasions where I buy "totally" blind without reading any reviews, checking out any sites or even googling it.

I have gone on shopping trips where I walk into a video store with no intentions of purchasing anything but just tempted to look around and spot something that catches my eye on sale or marked down, having no idea what the series was about and buying it, impulse shopping at it's best and found several series I liked that that way.

I discovered Trigun, GunsXSwords, Heat Guy J, Full Mental Panic (all three series) that way.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
I did "other" because the options only covered a partial reason in each, but there wasn't one with "The art has pretty girls, it's low price, and people rated it Garbage Disposable Fodder".
Razz

And no, that's not a joke. I specifically blind-bought Green Green because everyone said it was crap.

The bear humping scene was hilarious. Neutral

Now, for the change-of-answer: my blind-buying days are pretty much over. The only titles going into my collection will have been previewed first, and deemed "I can watch this over and over until the colors fade", because it's stupid for me to pay for something and watch it only once... now 80% of my current collection.

I sense a disk-only sale coming in my future.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'll blind buy on word-of-mouth advertising. That, and ANN's rating system, are useful for finding series you're likely to enjoy. Smile

I haven't bought anything from TRSI's blind box buys yet, but I'm planning to. Anime hyper
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I've bought a few blind buys based on reviews. I remember years ago Tokyo Pop did a review on Bridadoon a decade and half ago. At that time the series was never even considered a license. I imported the DVDs that's how much I wanted to see it. It was actually my FIRST import DVD. I enjoyed it even though I didn't have a clue of what they were talking about but I knew enough Japanese to figure things out here and there. Plus, watching it with a friend made it worthwhile. You want to talk about "blind buy". I couldn't get my money back on that one. I've bought 'Devilman Lady' and 'Space Pirate Mito' on LD. They were my first blind buys, because one is by Go Nagai and the other looked like 'Batman the Animated' series. I have yet to actually sit down and watch SPM since I bought the MB release. Enjoyed Devilman Lady. Eventually bought it on DVD. One review on Mania.com (formerly Anime on DVD) made me curious about Buttobi CPU. So I bought it on a whim and I couldn't help but find it hysterical. But I have did blind buys where I did enjoy the show but would never give it another viewing. A blind buy would be like picking something up you know very little to nothing about. You buy it and you either like it or you don't. It's interesting that some reviews can influence you. Thing is you either like it or you don't. I have a friend that does this. He'll just pick it up because it strikes him, and when he's tired of it he'll leave it at your house and when you wonder when he's gonna take it he'll tell you to keep it. I'm stuck with his 'Betterman'. I think he wants it but he hasn't been over at all so chances are he'll never take it back.
Wolfwood1203

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Blind buys are how I got started, I still have a small vhs collection of stuff I bought when there was still a Suncoast in my city. I'd look at what they had, if something caught my eye I'd read the description and most likely pick it up before leaving.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
I only blind buy stuff if it's seriously cheap. The most notable that I've managed is the entire series of tactics for £8. I have too little money to risk buying something I'll hate, and since most of the anime released in the UK is generic shounen, I tend not to bother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2