• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Seikai Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouga13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The show? The manga? Both? Hopefully both Confused
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
The anime I'd assume, the manga always seemed to be a side project... especially with how they changed artists in the middle.

I'm looking forward to the new series.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well, the manga is sort of a moot thing, since both come from the novels. And IMO, it's hard to go from novel to manga format without loosing some of the style of the novelist in the manga since a novel creates pictures and scenes and mods, etc. exclusively with words, where a manga uses a mixture of both.

I'm looking forward to SnS III anime, though Smile.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Seikai no Senki IV novel came out recently as well.
dinoho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
To those of you who wish it will be a new anime series, sorry but the new is only the release of the newest novel (The 4th in the Senkai no Senki / Banner of the Stars series). There are no entries from both Sunrise and WOWOW that indicates there will be a new anime series. As the link provided (http://natsumemaya.terminus.net.au/news.htm) does not work, this can only be trusted with a grain of salt.

I do look forward to read this novel once it is translated in Chinese, and hopefully there will be a new anime series in the future.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote
What I've been told is that the production of the Banner III anime was mentioned in a blurb somewhere in the new novel. Wouldn't be the first time a source other than the producers first broke news of a new show in the works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
What I've been told is that the production of the Banner III anime was mentioned in a blurb somewhere in the new novel. Wouldn't be the first time a source other than the producers first broke news of a new show in the works.

Last I heard, SnS III anime is slated for airing sometime in 2006.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I just hope we get the translated novels over here some day too.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
I just hope we get the translated novels over here some day too.

It would be nice. I think the anime/manga market probably has to get more mainstream than it is to support things like novels and Live action series though. (still praying for a pro translation of Shomuni)
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Getting it in the US dosen't really have to do so much with anime and managa as it does with Sci-Fi

The sci-fi fans are the ones who would have to want it to make it profitable.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Getting it in the US dosen't really have to do so much with anime and managa as it does with Sci-Fi

If solid, reputable sci-fi magazines like ASF and others could get permission to serialize some of the Sekai novels (translated, of course), I think sci-fi fans would be ready to jump all over them. It's just that you need to get it into the sci-fi community as a whole that the sekai series isn't some "cartoon" that anime fans call sci-fi for some reason, but that it's very much legitimate sci-fi, as are the novels that the anime is based on. Get that into their heads and they'll probably all for the novels being translated then published in North America.
wao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
It's a movie according to MoonPhase.
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
They should publish those novels as regular sci-fi novels; IE don't use anime artwork, don't manga-fy it. That way it'd have a much better chance for success with a bigger sci-fi audience and those people would then gravitate towards the anime series.
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd be the first in line to get a translated version of the Seikai novels. I already own them in Japanese even though I can't read a single kanji!

For those unfamiliar with the Seikai series, here's a bit of a breakdown:

The tale of Lafiel and Jinto began as a series of novels by Hiroyuki Morioka. The novels are published by Hayakawa Publishing. Currently the series is broken into two trilogies: "Crest of the Stars" and "Banner of the Stars." The first novel, Crest of the Stars I, was first published in April of 1996. The most recent novel I had been aware of was Banner of the Stars III, published in March of 2001. Apparently a fourth Banner novel has been announced.

The anime we know as Crest of the Stars was based on the first trilogy of novels. Following the success of the animated version of Crest, the first novel in the Banner trilogy was made into Banner of the Stars I. A year later Banner II was created based on the second novel in the Banner trilogy. The third Banner novel has yet to be animated.

The manga is based upon both the anime and the novels, basically following the anime but adding details from the novel that were left out of the animated version.

Why do I know all this? I'm a mod at Abh Nation, a Seikai fansite. We're having some technical difficulties, so the site is down but the forum remains open.

EDIT: There is indeed a fourth Banner novel. It can be found at Amazon.co.jp!
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:

Well, I was thinking more along the line of market share and distributors. If anime and manga gets real strong, then maybe someone will take a chance on expanding to the books and LA shows.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone will take a chance anyway though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2