• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon Jumps into Pseudo-Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
And I thought this was limited to Reality Shows....
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
I knew about this 1-2 months ago, I'm not sure exactly. It seems to be potentially better than most of Nick's programs. Every once in a while, something good does accidentally slip out, Ren & Stimpy, Invader Zim, and maybe, hopefully, Avatar too.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
That was really REALLY good. The storyline seems like something out of Shonen Jump, and it's actually got a nice style about it, not simply "LOL BIG EYES LORL" going for it. Plus, from what I could tell, the animation looked very slick. I'm looking forward to it!
s_j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'll second that. This looks great. It seems to actually capture the rhythm of anime, while most other western efforts so far seem fixated on only the most superficial elements in design. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of Japanese or Korean names in the credits, in fact.
chris keck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
Hello,

I don't think "Pseudo-Anime" is a good description. It sounds like you are saying that this is fake-anime in some way or that the creators are stealing from anime. "Anime-style" is a better description. I'm sure the creators are anime enthusiasts themselves and this style should be considered as an homage as well as a reflection of the popularity of anime.

Another new show that you could put into the anime-style category would be W.I.T.C.H. on Toon Disney and ABC. From the previews it looks like it has the potential to be a good Magical Girl/Group-of-Virgins-Save-the-World story.

chris keck
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
I like to call it "Americanime", but in this case I'll call it "Nickanime" Anime hyper

Every once in a good while an original brillent show pops up on Nick, maybe this will be one of them.
Matt Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
^^ I personally see this as a good thing, and a step in the right direction for American animation as a whole. Once American animation companies realise how nice it is to have actual plot, not be restricted to doing kiddy shows, and just how nice Japanese anime style is in general; the whole "cartoon" genre as a whole will be revolutionized. Say bye-bye to "Ed,Edd and Eddy"s, hello to common sense. Anime hyper;

Last edited by Matt Alan on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Marrshu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, assuming they don't make a "kidditzed" scripted with lame jokes, this looks as if it could be really good...
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Matt Alan wrote:
^^ I personally see this as a good thing, and a step in the right direction for American animation as a whole. Once American animation companies realise how nice it is to have actual plot, not be restricted to doing kiddy shows, and just how nice Japanese anime style is in general; the whole "cartoon" genre as a whole will be revolutionized. Say bye-bye to "Ed,Edd and Eddy"s, hello to common sense. Anime hyper;

Yeah, because "Ed, Edd and Eddy" is a prime example of the US ANimation industry as a whole :rolleyes:
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
...but....I just happen to LIKE Ed, Edd, & Eddy! I'd like to stereotype the industry with Atomic Betty, or a cartoon from another channel. Like Rugrats. Not the good Rugrats, but the Rugrats that came out after the first movie. Or Chalkzone. Or Fairly Odd Parents. Why Ed, Edd, & Eddy?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, I liked Fairly Oddparents! It had jokes that were actually funny, not just for kids.

But yes, this Avatar show looks like it's going to have a bit more class than some other Anime-style shows on TV, like Teen Titans (just add in flashy lines and excessive freak-out faces) or Megas XLR (giant robots and flashy lines). I realize that's not the extent of those shows, but it definately detracts from the experience when you have certain "anime" elements shoved down your throat in order to make a series more "cool."

The art for Avatar also seems to be better than most other simple-animated cartoons out there.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Not that FP is bad as a whole, but it's gotten MUCH worse lately. And "Da Rules" have HUGE gaping holes and contradictions throughout the whole thing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Hey, I liked Fairly Oddparents! It had jokes that were actually funny, not just for kids.

But yes, this Avatar show looks like it's going to have a bit more class than some other Anime-style shows on TV, like...Megas XLR (giant robots and flashy lines). I realize that's not the extent of those shows, but it definately detracts from the experience when you have certain "anime" elements shoved down your throat in order to make a series more "cool."

Megas, IMO is a satire to rope in the adult viewers. Why else would you think they do a spoofy G-Force episode complete with Casey Kasem?
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:

Another new show that you could put into the anime-style category would be W.I.T.C.H. on Toon Disney and ABC. From the previews it looks like it has the potential to be a good Magical Girl/Group-of-Virgins-Save-the-World story.

chris keck

Actually i saw a ad of that quite a few months back when there books where coming out, i looked at it and though, "thats a pretty good style he/she has there, i bet someone buys the rights and sterotypes it" and well seams im right Razz

And most 'Pseudo-Anime' would be better if they got rid of the sudden big guys and freaky faces, i mean, who are they trying to fool anyways? well, i guess the 12 year olds the shows are ment for Razz Go Invader Zim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Matt Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

But yes, this Avatar show looks like it's going to have a bit more class than some other Anime-style shows on TV, like Teen Titans (just add in flashy lines and excessive freak-out faces) or Megas XLR (giant robots and flashy lines). I realize that's not the extent of those shows, but it definately detracts from the experience when you have certain "anime" elements shoved down your throat in order to make a series more "cool."

The art for Avatar also seems to be better than most other simple-animated cartoons out there.

^^;; I was being sarcastic with the Ed Edd and Eddy comment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3