• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Idolmeister

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that is some intense IDOLM@STER hate. My friends and I (mostly girls) are all totally loving the series -- but we've all been fans of the games for years, and these characters are already well established in our minds.

I don't know how appealing the series would be to someone with zero interest in IM@S as a franchise, but I guess... well, now I know. Hahaha.

The only episodes I haven't quite liked much were the ones focusing entirely on characters I don't really care for. The latest episode was all about Yayoi with a side of Iori, and they're not really near the top of my list at all. But the episode before that, where you actually get to see them REALLY perform as idols complete with costumes, was terrific!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of Idolmaster before the anime, so it's my first exposure (though I did play those Yakuza 4 hostess mini games.. if the video games are like that only more in depth then I'd like to play em, even if I know they'd never come out in the West) but I'm enjoying it.

Plus the music numbers are all pretty nice and well choreographed.

I'd say the Futami twins are my favorite characters.. they're cute and funny. Especially that bit with Yayoi.

Eh, hate isn't too surprising. It pretty much comes with any show with a female lead these days.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the NicoNico comments, those are the only reason I kept watching Blood-C (now the show seems to have gotten good and I've turned them off but like you said, that's a baaaaaad sign when the commentary is the best part).
Also, is it just me or the font size become a bit smaller after the introduction paragraph? I can still read it just fine but it looks a little off.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The existence of Uta no Prince-sama and its ilk is potent proof that Databases exist for female fans every bit as much as for male ones (as she looks at the Samurai Girls ad covering her screen). There are certain "types" that female consumers want, and studios regurgitate them on a regular basis. And if it's not the kind of thing you're into, you'll inevitably find it more annoying than amusing.

On the plus side, this allows the existence of Ouran High School Host Club (just as the male version allowed for Higurashi), so I'm really not complaining all that much.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Whoah this person's collection looks extremely expensive, what with all the K-On! BDs and whatnot. I'd like to have that kind of money... Laughing
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Out of everything in that massive, impressive collection of his, I covet those Cardcaptor Sakura cels more than anything, although the full collection of Sailor Moon DVDs that would make my inner 7th grader explode in bliss come close.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
NICE shelves! Really Really want those K-ON blurays but I've never been able to justify spending $100 per volume, let alone afford $2,000 worth of K-ON!

looks like you import alot! Great collection, I be jealous Very Happy
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Out of everything in that massive, impressive collection of his, I covet those Cardcaptor Sakura cels more than anything, although the full collection of Sailor Moon DVDs that would make my inner 7th grader explode in bliss come close.

Same here, that is some RESPECTABLE Cardcaptor Sakura swag. ;3;
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I don't know how appealing the series would be to someone with zero interest in IM@S as a franchise, but I guess... well, now I know. Hahaha.

I never played the games, but I really like the Idolm@ster TV series until now. While reading Erin's review, it sort of seems that one of the problems is the view of what an idol is supposed to be.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
So glad I waited to buy Soul Eater! I wanted to hold off until Funimation put them in box sets but the Meister & Weapon collections are good as well. Anime smile

Quote:
Idolmaster's first episode is a lot like the first episode of Hetalia. Forced to introduce a giant cast, it's confusing, awkward, and off-putting.

That's really interesting because I know you absolutely hate Hetalia, Erin. So the second I saw that comment I knew where the review was going!

I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

2. May I ask how much he spent on all Sailor Moon box sets? Because I, finally, found Season 1 on Amazon for a good price but everything else...well...not so much. >_>
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

Those shelves, all my jealousy.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Naruto was no good for the first 30 episodes, and Bleach's first season didn't impress me.

Now that's just dang near blasphemy.

I tried to enjoy Blue Exorcist because new shonen action shows haven't been of the best quality lately. Soul Eater is the last show I picked up and watched all the way through and even that show disappointed me in the 2nd half. Blue Exorcist was not interesting and had so many typical tropes. If I want more of the same tropes I can watch the long running shonen action I have already been watching for years.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like Idolm@ster as well. (In the Summer preview, I gave it a freakishly high review.) I think it's a lot better than the other Million Girls In One Show shows out there, simply because it does show things from the girls' perspectives. To me, there's something a little sad and sinister about the way they describe their days and work schedules, and it speaks volumes about the current state of the idol industry.

For instance, instead of just having a stupid catchphrase, you see the characters actively try to remember to say it, or you see them consciously slip into their pre-designated persona whenever they're in public. They know that they have to pander to fans in order to stay in the biz.

Am I the only one that sees the series this way? It makes the girls more human, I think.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

While I can't speak for him, the Rightstuf versions of Utena are so much better than the Central Park releases that it's totally worth double dipping, just on the quality of the video alone. It's not a matter of new content, but rather it looks so much nicer.

I agree that those CCS cels are awesome pieces to the collection. I'm curious as to how much he paid for them, because they're actually pretty nice looking ones and I'd expect them to have a pretty high price tag, based on what I see at conventions.

I'm curious though, how many pictures is one allowed to send for Shelf Life? I ask because I'm slowly getting my collection organized, and it's a pretty sizable one so if I take a lot of close up shots, it'll get to be a lot of pictures.

The only show I've seen in the list is iDOLM@STER, and it's a highly average show. Nothing special to me, but I've never played any of the games either.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This made the show 75% more watchable... The commentary track is essentially like the internet performing a stream-of-consciousness unfiltered MST3K/Rocky Horror Picture Show treatment

Those plus the Uta Prince threads on 4chan pretty much made the series my guilty pleasure of the season. I doubt I'd have much interest in it if it weren't for the fanbase having such a great sense of humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5