• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed HD Remaster Project to Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Confused the seed series was okay at best and they're HD-ing it. would have preferred Wing HD.

I'm curious to see how this looks when it's released, but I think I too would prefer Wing to Seed. I enjoyed Seed after it stopped being too much like the original series for me, but I've watched and enjoyed Wing several times compared to once with Seed.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I have only ever watched 4 Gundam series: Wing, Seed, Seed Destiny, and Gundam00.

Gundam00 is one of my most favorite animes to date. Wing is probably one of my least favorite.

I only watched Wing because I liked Seed and because I heard good things about it... but I was completely uninterested and bored to tears within the first few episodes. I didn't give up on the series and found the strength to pain through all 50 episodes thinking "It's bound to pick up and get better eventually" but it never did. Probably one of the biggest anime disappointments I've ever endured.
nakobass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I hope Gundam 00 gets the same treatment 10 years from now. As in a new OVA since 00 is already HD. Enjoyed 00 a lot more then I ever did Seed. But it did have some great moments, I'll give it that.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what they were thinking with Destiny. I agree with a comment above, lets pretend destiny never happened and make a real sequel. Gundam Seed is imo the best gundam, and probably only behind Crest of the Stars for my favorite sci fi of all time. Kira is probably my favorite character behind only tenchi, lacus is in my top five females, and kira lacus is one of the few couples I actually like. Mu la Flage, Ra le cresuet , athrun all great characters. Gundam Seed Destiny is by far the worst gundam and maybe one of the worst shows period. Shinn is a really poor attempt to copy Kira, with no depth.spoiler[ I love his anger at Kira for killing Stella, how could he. He(Shinn) just kept her alive so she could kill millions in 3 european countries, but how dare Kira kill her. Shinn should frankly have been killed from the word go, at least Flay redeems herself at the end.] The rest of the cast is equally as weak, especially the vice commander of the minerva who acts surprised at every little thing. What made it worse was the emasculation of Arthun and the beating the original seed characters took.

But like Code Geass, at this point any news is good news, and hopefully some new Seed material gets done.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. ~Zalis]
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd sure love to see Gundam Seed in proper HD (it's the best Gundam series IMHO), but given when it was made and the fact that it was obviously done digitally, I have no idea how they could possibly do an actual HD remaster without redoing all of the animation. But even if they do somehow manage it, the odds of us getting it in North America aren't exactly great given the poor state that Bandai seems to be in. More's the pity.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Just when I bought the DVDs Anime cry, well this is a good news, if GS does well in sales they will probably go on with Destiny as well.And we might finally get something new Anime smile like a movie (if I remember it was the director's wife who was in bad health I wonder if she had recovered ?) .Kira and Lacus in HD ? That is something I want to see ^^. But I hope they will fix one of the flaws of the serie : the repeating fighting scene (and Shinn while I am it but that may be asking too much )
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile classics 0080, Zeta Gundam, and 0079 can apparently go fudge themselves.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Meanwhile classics 0080, Zeta Gundam, and 0079 can apparently go fudge themselves.

Z Gundam got released on BD back in 2008. It was apparently made from "HD-mastered episodes off new film prints".
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I have no idea what they were thinking with Destiny. I agree with a comment above, lets pretend destiny never happened and make a real sequel. Gundam Seed is imo the best gundam, and probably only behind Crest of the Stars for my favorite sci fi of all time. Kira is probably my favorite character behind only tenchi, lacus is in my top five females, and kira lacus is one of the few couples I actually like. Mu la Flage, Ra le cresuet , athrun all great characters. Gundam Seed Destiny is by far the worst gundam and maybe one of the worst shows period. Shinn is a really poor attempt to copy Kira, with no depth.spoiler[ I love his anger at Kira for killing Stella, how could he. He(Shinn) just kept her alive so she could kill millions in 3 european countries, but how dare Kira kill her. Shinn should frankly have been killed from the word go, at least Flay redeems herself at the end.] The rest of the cast is equally as weak, especially the vice commander of the minerva who acts surprised at every little thing. What made it worse was the emasculation of Arthun and the beating the original seed characters took.

But like Code Geass, at this point any news is good news, and hopefully some new Seed material gets done.

I'm gonna spoiler my comment so people have an option not to see it. Razz

spoiler[Someone doesn't know the drama behind the scenes
Morosawa was given diagnosis with brain cancer halfway through the writing of Seed.
Add to the fact there was the issue of "Cagalli's VA apparently sleeping with Morosawa's husband, who ironically happened to be the director." I might also add that's the reason why Shinn and co got turned and kicked and given lesser development than a rock. They stood by Cagalli's VA and ultimately pretty much written out.

ADD TO THE FACT that in Destiny, Morosawa was the sole writer. Seriously. Look at the credits. And btw, Shinn's Kamille while Kira was Gary Stu. Shinn actually had reasons to be angry while Kira..was a huge hypocrite. He wanted to stop the fighting and all he was doing was creating. Also; Plot Armor. Particularly, when we are constantly showed that the Freedom's cockpit is in chest, the exact same spot "Excalibur" penetrated during the climactic showdown between Shinn and Kira. The Freedom's reactor was nuclear. The heat alone would've killed Kira. Given the fact that it DID explode, take from that what you will.]

Go watch X. Far superior to Seed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I'm gonna spoiler my comment so people have an option not to see it. Razz

spoiler[Someone doesn't know the drama behind the scenes
Morosawa was given diagnosis with brain cancer halfway through the writing of Seed.
Add to the fact there was the issue of "Cagalli's VA apparently sleeping with Morosawa's husband, who ironically happened to be the director." I might also add that's the reason why Shinn and co got turned and kicked and given lesser development than a rock. They stood by Cagalli's VA and ultimately pretty much written out.

ADD TO THE FACT that in Destiny, Morosawa was the sole writer. Seriously. Look at the credits. And btw, Shinn's Kamille while Kira was Gary Stu. Shinn actually had reasons to be angry while Kira..was a huge hypocrite. He wanted to stop the fighting and all he was doing was creating. Also; Plot Armor. Particularly, when we are constantly showed that the Freedom's cockpit is in chest, the exact same spot "Excalibur" penetrated during the climactic showdown between Shinn and Kira. The Freedom's reactor was nuclear. The heat alone would've killed Kira. Given the fact that it DID explode, take from that what you will.]

Go watch X. Far superior to Seed.

What the... where are you getting this information

None of that is true, and some of that borders on the absurd.

1. Morosawa's illness is unknown but the likelihood of a brain tumor isn't likely. The illness itself wasn't mentioned until 2008 after Gundam Seed Destiny, and well after the original Gundam Seed.
2. Cagalli's VA never slept with her husband, this one is actually new as most people simply claim that the Director hated Cagalli's VA. Its unknown why Fukuda and Morosawa did what they did to Cagalli but the most likely answer is that Cagalli was simply badly written in Gundam Seed Destiny.
3. The reason why Shin was given less development was the fact that Kira, Athrun, Lacus, and Cagalli where more popular, and Fukuda tends to change things based on popularity (compare who Athrun ends up with in the tv series ending, and who he ends up with in the movie complilation).
4. Morosawa was not the sole writer of Gundam Seed Destiny, the writing crew was mostly made up of people who worked on Gundam Seed. Morosawa was the head writer, who was in charge of the story.
5. Kira was a hypocrite, and was called out by Athrun when he asked Kira why his fighting like this.

When a character is badly written that doesn't mean that any of the staff was out to get the V.A, Graham was badly written in Gundam 00 but no one is claiming that Mr. Bushido was punishment for Yuuichi Nakamura.
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I wish this was Gundam Wing. Gundam Seed was ok an as for Destiny I didn't really care for it, I don't know if it was because of Shinn (talk about psychological problems) but I just didn't feel for it the way I did Seed. Anyways Gundam Wing and 00 are my favorite Gundams so far.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Confused the seed series was okay at best and they're HD-ing it. would have preferred Wing HD.

question, when was the last time you watched gundam wing? i would be willing to bet it's been a good many years (i could be wrong, but i think it's a safe bet).

i too had those warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings about how amazing i thought it was when i first watched it over a decade ago. so 5-ish years ago i bought it out of nostalgia. and i watched it. and oh my god is it bad.

destiny, for all it's many, many, MANY flaws, is more entertaining than the interminable boredom and nonsense that is gundam wing. i'll take entertaining nonsense over boring nonsense any day.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

question, when was the last time you watched gundam wing? i would be willing to bet it's been a good many years (i could be wrong, but i think it's a safe bet).

i too had those warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings about how amazing i thought it was when i first watched it over a decade ago. so 5-ish years ago i bought it out of nostalgia. and i watched it. and oh my god is it bad.

destiny, for all it's many, many, MANY flaws, is more entertaining than the interminable boredom and nonsense that is gundam wing. i'll take entertaining nonsense over boring nonsense any day.

Well you just wouldn't be a Gundam fan if you where not arguing based off memories you had watching the series 10 years ago. As popular as Gundam is in fansubs, the shows sales are about average, Gundam hasn't had an actual hit since G Gundam 9 years ago.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight : It has been some years since I watched the movies and the TV series, but I think Athrun ends up with the same person in both Confused
And the sales of Gundam 00 was not that bad , especially the movie though i did not like it -_- .
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

Wing is actually one of only a few anime series I still own after purging my dvd collection, and I gave it a rewatch a few months ago. Some of the dialogue is hilarious (actually, it always was) and the animation is definitely aged, but I never found it boring in the first place and I didn't this time either. Pure nostalgia may be the reason I still rank it above 00, but it's definitely not a bad series.

Anyway I hope SEED does well. Although seeing that it's ten years old... makes me feel really old Mad As I remember watching it in my very first dorm room at uni ><
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3