• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Josh Brolin to Star in Spike Lee's Oldboy Remake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not against this. He was good in True Grit, and he looks old enough to fit the character.
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This is a perfect fit for the main character.

Finally someone is getting casting right for the adaptions.
BitShifter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Jonah Hex? Probably better that way... Cool
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I disagree..they picked one of the most uninteresting and bland actors in Hollywood for the main character..its been almost well over a decade since Spike Lee has made a decent film..I'll stick with the original.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BitShifter: Not a fan of Brolin, but Jonah Hex was clearly not his fault.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Spike Lee's name attached to a project makes me fear that it'll be overtly racially charged.

I hold Brolin above fellow star Jeff Bridges as Bridges' incoherent slurred mumbling is difficult for me to discern without subtitles, but they're both extremely bland actors who portray lackluster characters with no verve. In the awful No Country For Old Men (only watchable for venerable voice actor Jason Douglas' bit), Brolin seems as tired and bored as an old man, ironic in the context of the movie.

Long pieces of mumbled nonsense exposition punctuated by lackluster action sequences coalescing into a mind-numbingly tedious movie. That's what I predict for this movie, as that's what No Country for Old Men & True Grit were.

I understand that it is likely that the Coen Brothers are responsible for the attributes I find undesirable in the most famous Brolin films, but unlikely that he is not complicit in imbuing them into the films (Jonah Hex had the same issues, and the Coen Bros. weren't involved in that). I suppose a Spike Lee movie casting Brolin that is actually decent would redeem Brolin in my eyes, and it is quite possible as the Coen Bros & Jonah Hex have set the bar painfully low. I'd take racially charged and fun over the tedious, boring schlock that Brolin has been in thus far. After all, IMO Shaft was worlds above the movies Brolin is most known for.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Uh, what does Shaft have to do w/ anything...?
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Long pieces of mumbled nonsense exposition punctuated by lackluster action sequences coalescing into a mind-numbingly tedious movie. That's what I predict for this movie, as that's what No Country for Old Men & True Grit were.

lol2deep4ubro~
Slumbercat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, when it become cool to hate Josh Brolin? He's not as bad an actor like you guys make out to be at all. 'Milk' is a strong example and 'No Country For Old Men' has a good performance out of him too (hard to be noticed in that film when you aren't Javier Bardem, though). He was also in 'The Goonies' so, major likability points there, ha.

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about Spike Lee directing this, since I haven't seen any of his movies. I've heard mixed things, so we'll see. I can definable picture Brolin in this role.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Brolin was great in W. and No Country for Old Men, but his part in True Grit was really too short to give any kind of real impression about him as actor. Not a bad bit of acting, just there and gone again; Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld owned that movie.

Oh, and, Echo_City, please don't try to paint Jonah Hex and No Country for Old Men with the same descriptors, it doesn't make for a pretty sight. And, by the way, The Dude had plenty of "verve".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1