• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question, any audio books?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Have Light Novel publishers or anime producers ever made, or considered producing, audio book productions of light novels? In Japan or in the West?

It seems like such a ridiculously logical thing to do. Some works could even be interpreted with partial dramatic casts.

Considering the audience in the west I'd speculate audio books of know properties might even sell better than actual books.

Bundle them with extras such as the translated and reinterpreted radio dramas that never get exported and I'd think you'd have a nice product.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Have VN publishers or anime producers ever made, or considered producing, audio book productions of visual novels? In Japan or in the West?

It seems like such a ridiculously logical thing to do. Some works could even be interpreted with partial dramatic casts.

Considering the audience in the west I'd speculate audio books of know properties might even sell better than actual books.

Bundle them with extras such as the translated and reinterpreted radio dramas that never get exported and I'd think you'd have a nice product.

Is there an audio book format that allows the listener to interact with the story and make choices?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord, spare me of this brain fart.

I wrote "Visual novels" I meant Light Novels.

Also realized this might be a good question for the Answerman so I wrote it up for Brian as well. I'll see if he has anything to say.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I wrote "Visual novels" I meant Light Novels.

I see.Smile

There are a few that I would be interested in if they were released in MP3 format.
My main hobby (after anime and manga) is walking and hiking. Right now I listen to a lot of music on my MP3 player. It might be nice to listen to a novel for a change.
The illustrations in the light novels are nice but not necessary, And they could be included as extras.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Audio Dramas are a pretty similar concept. And there are audio dramas for light novel series, although they're not adaptions of previously-existing written text.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
I've actually questioned why drama CD sets haven't really seen much of a western release. I'm sure that westernized versions couldn't cost too much to produce for series that already have a set of dub actors. I mean no disrespect either, but I'm sure they also might find a niche with blind fans. For instance, I've spoken with someone who was starting to love reading manga but is now loosing her vision. Again I mean no disrespect in bringing that up.
shukujo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
<snip> I have to run right now.<snip> [lulz]

[Edit]Recommendations for copyright infringing apps aren't permitted. Locking necropost. Errinundra.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1