• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Releases Naruto 52 Digitally & in Print on Same Day

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
If they can promote I'll Give it My All through that store, why can't they bring back more of their canceled manga? Evil or Very Mad
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
There's pretty much only three reasons why I would read digital manga: if it isn't licensed in print in English, if it's out of print in English, or if I was trying out a new series (which I would then go buy in print if I liked it!). Taking that into account, Viz's manga store isn't really doing anything for me so far. >_> I'm glad they're doing same-day releases, but I would be happier if they were putting up OOP books, too. Reborn! 12 and Bastard!! 19 would be instant buys, for me.

And for that matter, where is Skip Beat? I assume it's doing well, since it's on an "every 3 months" release schedule and the 3-in-1 volumes start coming out next spring. Why isn't it online?

You know what would be really cool? If VIZ used this site as a way to spotlight one-shots by some of their manga-ka. I'm not talking about the "bonus chapter" kinds of one-shots, but the totally original stories that normally just seem tacked on to the back of the print volumes. I'm think of things like Bisco Hatori's "Romantic Egoist" series of one-shots. I've always thought that was kind of a wonky system; they're really hard to find again when you want to read them. With digital, couldn't you just sell that one original chapter as its own thing? Say for $1.49, depending on length, or somewhere around that? One-shots would be a good way to try out a new manga-ka, since they wouldn't be priced as high as an actual volume would be. And I would actually buy one-shots from their website, even though I already have them in print. It's just kind of a hassle thinking "Oh, I wanted to read that one Love Egoist chapter... now which of the 16 volumes of Ouran was it in again? Or maybe it was in Millennium Snow?"

And why can't you search by author, anyways? From any of the books' pages, I should be able to click on the author's name and be brought to a list of other manga they've written. The Vampire Knight fans might appreciate knowing that Matsuri Hino made Meru Puri and Captive Hearts. And if they do decide to start selling the one-shots, being able to search by author would be a must-have.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
too bad, 1 day is nothing.

some stores have it 1 week before the official release. lol
Sloggett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to get on board with these digital releases but unfortunately the app is US only. Rolling Eyes
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
So since, Naruto 52 ships out this week, is it safe to assume to One Piece 58 will be out as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1