• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I could neccisarily put them in order but here are my ten favorites.

Sailor Moon: It's the anime that started me out and I've always been something of a shoujo fan being as I'm kinda of a girly girl at tiems.

Kare Kano: It's a soap opera for people who hate soaps. Unlike soaps this is at least funny at times and just as addictive. The characters are very well based and interesting as well as realistic. I love anime that can delve into who people really are.

Azumanga: I love crazy anime and cute anime this just happens to be both. Azumanga feels fresh and different. It's a school girl shoujo anime without being to cutsy and annoying to guys. The characters are wacky and at times make you want to just hug them. I especially like Sakaki cause she never gives up no matter how many times she gets bit in the hand.

Cowboy Bebop: Gritty realism in space and the best OST I've heard in a very long time. Of course if you know anything about Yoko Kanno you know well enough that everything she's ever written is great. That's all I have to say about that.

Gravitation: Shounenai rocks!

Trigun: If anything could pull off wacky and serious it's this and it's done very well. Gun fights are awsome and Vash is oblivious what a great main character.

Digi Charat: If you don't pay attention the only thing you'll be able to utter is what the hell?! Paying attention some times makes you say that to. Overall zany things happen that don't make any sense and it's great.

Princess Tutu: I havn't actually watched it but it looks so adorable and I love ballet I think I'll have to love it no matter what.

Excel Saga: I have this strange fascination with any show containing a character that I'm compared to by my friends. Seeing as her sieyuu is also Mitsuishi Kotono I think that's all I need to say.

Witch Hunter Robin: I love dark anime and this one is with getting to caught up in angst. Don't get me wrong a little angst is good to but not all the time then it just gets depressing. Magic is always a cool way to bring up to anime fun and this one is choc full of it but in a more realistic way and that's admirable.

now for the anime that I truly despise.

1. Dragon Ball Z: Yes to some of you this will seem lkike blasphemy but I don't care. It's repetitive and the only thing that every seems to happen is that the bad guys are different. The Goku becomes more powerful and he beats him until another one shows up. All of this takes fifty episodes to get no ware. Mostly people yell at eachother or sound constipated and yes I have seen to Japanese version so you cannot accuse me of Dub biasing.

2. The Big O: that's actually an anime. I never would have guessed. It's big fighting robots but the animation style looks like a batman beyond rip off and besides that the plot is basic and doesn't even merit bothering with.

3. Fushigi Yuugi: You know it's bad when you can't make it through one episode before simply wanting to kill yourself and that isn't because it's bad it's because that's just how damn depressing the plot gets. I stopped watching this before I could get to the end of it simply because I could no longer stand to watch any of the episodes. Fushigi Yuugi is a strange love affair that you at first enjoy then begin to loath as soon as you realize what you've to yourself and your mind.

4. Weiss Kruz: No don't get me wrong I love Shounen ai but this one just doesn't seem to make up it's mind either way. The plot is boring and repetitive and the characters aren't altogether that believable either.

5.Pokemon: Surprisingly I don't actually hate the anime itself. I despise what it stands for. It stands for all the children who seem to have dragged their conservative worry wort over zealous parents into it. True before pokemon alot of other anime would not have become as main stream. Wasn't that part of the beauty of it though. Loving something that only a few could truly be knowledgable about. Of course you can still do that today you simply have to work a lot harder. However Pokemon lead the way for the crusading parents to storm in and start trying to ruin our fun with the other anime. At least now you can find more of it it's just on late at night.
graceoftheblueyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
hehe let me think hmm..
1: Scrapped Princess ( this is the greatest anime i have watched... so far, i love the characters, the humor, and the fights. The only anime that ever touched me so deeply)

2: Love Hina ( it is the defenitly the funniets anime i know, but at the same time also touching and it has great characters too:especially Naru)

3: Ah!! my goddess ( The movie was great! it has a great story, the OAV's were great too, beatiful characters; I have read all of the manga that is out and they really are the best manga i have read so far, I hope that the TV series will be just as great)

4:Sister Princess ( just Sister princess and not Sister Prinncess: repure, it's really funny and the sisters are all great)

5:Chobits ( great story and Chi is just so damn cute)

worst:
Final fantasy Unlimited ( I really had excpected more from this since the game is great)

Sister Princess Repure ( After watching Sister princess, i thought this would be as great as that, but it wasn't, actually it made Sister Princess look a little bad for me)

That was about it.. for now...
the_seventh_child

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
well here:
#1:Neon Genesis Evangelion:The best anime ever..the plot,the characters,the music,all of it were so perfectly-made..
#2:Ah!My Goddess:That's a very funny and romantic anime..just love it..
#3:Sailor Moon:My first anime..i don't think i'll ever forget it..
#4:Kenshin:that's another great anime..the battles scenes are excellent..
#5:CCS:very good anime too...I love Syaoran-Sakura's relationship..
#6:S-cry-ED:i currently watching it..haven't watched the whole of it yet but i can say that i like it a lot..
Neuraxised

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well heres my top 10

10- Vampire hunter D bloodlust: simple story, great action but the battles are too short.

9-Hellsing, well funny story and really good action. But the end was predictable.

8- Love Hina, yeah with all the violents ones I've seen i had to take a break and watch something cute and funny. But it was addictive thought.

7-Rurouni Kenshin OVA and TV: I live in a really small place in canada to buy anime i had to do 2 hours of driving, and at that time i had no credit card to buy them on the net because i was too young and paying on the internet was impossible to my mom. So i had to download every episodes. It took me 1 year and a half to have them all. But it was worth it. The only thing i have to say that i disliked is that they should have put shishio's battle at the end.

6-FLCL pretty good anime, i liked it because it was really tough to understand what happens with the main character. It took me 2 times to understand everything because some things are very subtle.

5-Ninja Scroll, well I've only seen the film so i don't have any ideas of what it is in TV series. The film was really great and i really liked the blind guy. It was almost the same as in RK.

4-Jin-Roh, made by the creator of Ghost in the shell, its is a totally different world than in GITS and appleseed. Nazis won the war and it really different for all that I've seen. The ending is the most troubling part.

3-Ghost in the Shell, well here it is one that left me thinking for a week. Because of what I've seen in then might happen sooner than we think.

2- Spriggan, very, very hard to find anime. But it might be because US are the bad ones in it. Really well drawn graphics and almost everything in this looks like if it's happening or going to happen.

1- Princess Mononoke, the first one I've seen 5 years ago and made me an anime addict.I think for me it will always be the best because of the morale it contained. Thats what I really like of Hayao Miyasaki.

Least Favorites:

Trigun, i couldnt get into the story and the hero was too dumb, i didn't even seen them all.
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched that many anime as most of you here, but from what I've seen so far, my top would look something like this (in no particular order):

FLCL:
Flawless animation, great use of different styles/perpective/techniques (or whatever you may call it). The series is short, but I can't count the number of times I sat on the edge of my seat going "what the hell?!?!" (in a good way). One of the best things about this anime is the music though. I'm sooooo glad I spend my money on this series.

Cowboy Bebop:
Granted, I haven't seen all of the series, but i really really love the characters and humor in the series. The jazzy music finishes this masterwork off. I don't feel I can add anything that hasn't already been said.

Boogiepop Phantom:
It's weird, strange, complex, and whatnot. What I really loved about this series is the way it's told. seeing earlier scenes again, but starting a little earlier, or told from a different viewpoint, this is much like a big puzzle where the pieces slowly fall together in the end. And finally, the sound effects are awesome here (except in the early episodes where I didn't find it all that spectacular). Episode 10: Poom Poom, was my most favourite of all. Only downpoint is that the characters are hard to distinguish, because they are drawn rather realistic (no outstanding hair styles and/or colors), but that couldn't spoil the fun for me.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust:
Greatly paced, this anime takes you through a journey across a wonderfull world filled with wonderfull characters. One of the best things of this anime is the variety of characters/creatures, coupled with a great story of love and duty. This is easily one of the very best presentations of a vampire story I know of (not limited to anime/manga alone).

The Animatrix:
I've seen this one on someone's worst ever list here, but for me it's top ranking. Reason for this is pretty simple: It was one of the first anime I really watched, and with that it showed me a great diversity of styles within the anime genre. I'm not the greatest matrix fan, but I found these supplemental stories to really add to the story as a whole (more so than part 2 and 3 ever could). Finally, the soundtrack supplied with the dvd (also the music used in the anime's) is amongst one of my favourites to listen to, both as a cd, and as the music on the anime.

Metropolis:
A different style of anime than I was used to, but the grand nontheless. Great story, great pacing, great city Smile. Also, everything blends in perfectly visually. The ending wasn't 100% satisfying for me, but I can live with that.

Akira:
The first anime I ever watched. Long before I got into anime I watched it with some friends, because it was supposed to be "impossible to understand anything" (rumours can be soo exaggerating (sp?)). It's setting is what really made this anime for me then. The bikes and psionics are just too cool.

Ghost in the Shell:
This anime did not live up to what I expected of it, but then again, I think that it was for the better. I expected to see a lot more violence and fighting in this (judging from what I had seen from it in trailers etc.). Overall this allowed to the story to better develop than I expected, and hence it's one of my favourites now.

Princess Mononoke:
The visuals and audials are simply breathtaking here. The landscapes reminded me of the first Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring). What I really admire most about this anime is the fact that everyone's reasoning is actually reasonable. With a little effort, you can really understand the actions taken by all of the fractions.

Honorable mentions:
Evangelion (great story, but I think that the ending was too big of a change at once, and could have been introduced better)
Spirited Away (simply beautiful, and full of fantasy)

As for the worst I've ever seen:
Ninja Scroll: Okay, not really crappy like the others here, but it's the least enjoyable of the anime I own. The focus on blood and gore is just too much in the way of any real story for me. And I've never been a great fan of samurai, so that might have influenced my judgement too.

DBZ:
Violence with the only reason being violence. I really do not like this series, and I can easily say that this is what kept me away from anime for quite some time, as I thought that all anime was like this (macho men trying to place as many punches as possible).

Yu-Gi-Oh!:
And almost every other kids series shown on tv for that matter. No plot other than: must defeat bad guy, because he wants to do bad things. And mostly because that is what people first judge you by if you state you love anime (There are enough anime's to prove them wrong, but these series make it so that you have to prove them wrong every time, because hardly anyone is open-minded about it anymore).

Well, that's my best/worst, and it's also about 70% of all anime I've every seen Wink.

Last edited by Ulthrion on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="Neuraxised"]Well heres my top 10

10- Vampire hunter D bloodlust: simple story, great action but the battles are too short.

7-Rurouni Kenshin OVA and TV: I live in a really small place in canada to buy anime i had to do 2 hours of driving, and at that time i had no credit card to buy them on the net because i was too young and paying on the internet was impossible to my mom. So i had to download every episodes. It took me 1 year and a half to have them all. But it was worth it. The only thing i have to say that i disliked is that they should have put shishio's battle at the end.

5-Ninja Scroll, well I've only seen the film so i don't have any ideas of what it is in TV series. The film was really great and i really liked the blind guy. It was almost the same as in RK.

2- Spriggan, very, very hard to find anime. But it might be because US are the bad ones in it. Really well drawn graphics and almost everything in this looks like if it's happening or going to happen.

1- Princess Mononoke, the first one I've seen 5 years ago and made me an anime addict.I think for me it will always be the best because of the morale it contained. Thats what I really like of Hayao Miyasaki.

You are a very smart person, you have almost an identical favourite list as me!!!!
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The order of my favorite anime is changing all the time, so I don't think I'll put any numbers.

Cowboy Bebop- Do I even need to elaborate? Brilliant in every sense of the word. Gorgeous animation, music (Yoko Kanno = goddess of music), superb characters, philosophy, and great action combine into an anime that almost anyone can enjoy. While it seems simple at first glance, there are many subtle aspects to the show that make it enjoyable even after many viewings, and deep on many levels. The drama and depth, along with the masterful twisting of how the viewers perceive the characters as the show goes on, make Cowboy Bebop an unforgettable series.

Wolf's Rain- This show has meant more to me than perhaps any other fictional anything-- ever. While the pacing of the show is terribly flawed, it wanders in the middle, and it didn't always stay on track, Wolf's Rain affected the way I view the world profoundly. There is just something so deep about this canine quest for Paradise, and the unfailing spirits of the characters even in the face of death and destruction. The ending was the most moving and devastating thing I believe I have ever seen-- painful, beautiful, and somehow filled with hope amongst all the death. While it's not for everyone, the depth and artistic storytelling in this show make it one of my favorites, and something I know I will have a place in my heart for the rest of my life. Oh, and let's not forget the breathtaking visuals and shiver-inducing music (Yoko Kanno's best, in my humble opinion).

RahXephon- The characters and complex story that truly comes full circle really made this show in my eyes. While many complain about the similarities between RahXephon and Eva, I found RahXephon to be much more fulfilling, uplifting, and well-told than its rather insanely dramatic predecessor. The characters are so incredibly human (they almost feel like someone you could meet walking along the street, or while at school) and interact with one another with such genuine enthusiasm, I found it hard to let them go after the series' end. The plot, while difficult to comprehend entirely, offered exceedingly beautiful messages on the human condition, and gave me a new faith in humanity. Despite its complex nature, the show truly thrives off of the simple joys its characters take in living, and I, as a viewer, found myself caring for them and feeling every emotion along with them.

Last Exile- Ah, what can we say about Last Exile? It is one of the most well-rounded series I have ever seen, and it truly shines in every area it enters. The animation is stunning, the characters are varied and easy to love (without falling into any anime steretypes at all), it has an excellent, juicy plot, lovely music, and a refreshing mix of genres. It also employs a type of world we haven't seen since Miyazaki's masterpiece Laputa: Castle in the Sky (and indeed, many of the same people worked on both pieces), that feels fresh and unlike almost anything you've ever seen. The action is enhanced by the breathtaking animation, the drama enhanced by the way the viewer cares for each character. The show feels genuine with everything it does. I have yet to see the ending (I have seen up to episode 20), but I have faith that it will wrap up splendidly. I recommend this series to almost anyone.

Witch Hunter Robin- It started off like your typical monster-of-the-day supernatural series, and ended up being a suspenseful story of conspiracy, shocking plot twists, and a timeless story of a girl trying to find her place in the world. The way this series was plotted was, although slow at times, brilliant. With each witch encounter, the witches become more and more human to the viewer's eyes, and the plot more and more covuluted. As the end comes closer, more and more shocking plot twists are thrown at you, all building up to an end that is bittersweet, open, but at the same time, resolves what it was building up to. Robin grows throughout the series from a shy girl to one with a power than is greater than perhaps she can handle. The well-written plot (with, might I add, some interesting biblical similarities, which increase the depth of the series though I am not religious), growth of Robin as a character, dark themes, and rollercoaster-ride plot, Witch Hunter Robin was a series that held a lot of wonder to me.

FLCL- One of the more insane things I have seen, FLCL is brilliant. No, really, it is. At a person's first viewing, they would be led to believe that the show is nonsensical and crazed, offering little or no room for depth, emotion, or philosophy. By the end of the show, the viewer has hopefully realized that FLCL not only makes a disturbing amount of sense--it's deep. Fast-paced to the point where it would drive most people crazy, after repeated viewings and taking it a little at a time the viewer can understand that this is a show of almost unparalleled complexity and brilliance. It offers many different themes and ideas at breakneak speed, but at its core it's a sentimental story about growing up (or the lack of growing up, in the cases of many of the characters). Add in a rockin' soundtrack by the Pillows, a zany sense of humor, and animation that is stylish and ever-changing, and you've got one fun show. It's one heck of a six-episode ride.

Paranoia Agent- I've only seen four episodes as of yet, but what I have seen is psychological and excellently paced. The main-character-relay style of storytelling is used to excellent effect, the whole concept of Shounen Bat is interesting (to say the least!), and this series keeps you thinking every second. I adore it so far and cannot wait to see the rest of the series. Satoshi Kon is incredible.

Favorite anime movies: Anything by Miyazaki/Ghibli, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Samurai X OVAs (Trust, Betrayal, Reflection).

Anime that I'm seriously in love with, but it's more of a personal love than an actual acknowledgement of quality:

Pokémon- My first anime, and my favorite anime of all time, to be honest. I know all of its flaws, but those flaws don't bother me. I'm almost exclusively in love with the Japanese version (the dub bothers me). I'm very sentimental about anything relating to Pokémon, and I doubt I will ever stop being obsessed with it. It has been a big, BIG part of my life for the past nine years, and I can't imagine what life would be like without it.

Gravitation- Not generally something I believed I would like, but it grew on me, and grew on me, and now I adore it. The characters are just so much fun, and the series itself so wacky and silly, I can't help but adore it. It has its dark spots, too, which I acknowledge and enjoy. One of the very few romance-centered shows I actually like. Well, in the end, what can I say? I love Gravitation. I guess I have an annoying, squealy fangirl inside me after all.

I'm not going to list anime I don't like. I see no reason to.

...I think those are most of the major anime in my life, at least. O.o;; I hope I'm not forgetting anything.
yuki*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
1. Inu-yasha: It maybe one of the longest running shows but its never ending fun.
2. Fruits Basket: It funny, sad, romantic, what else could i want.
3. D.N.Angel: it all i could ask for a love triangle
4. Ranma 1/2: it so funny and at times romantic
5. Sailor Moon: it was the very frist anime i saw and i love it as much as then and now

BAD ANIME TO ME:
1. Pokemon
2. Digimon season 2,3
3. Yugioh
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 Favorite Anime TV Series/OVAs

1) Cowboy Bebop - This is my absolute favorite anime series. I love everything about it. The animation and art is unique. The music and sound effects are excellently suited, and what's more, spectacular. The main characters are unforgettable. The story knows exactly which buttons to press and when and climaxes in a beautiful, painful finale. Enjoyment? Massive enjoyment. Value? It will forever hold a place in my memories as a true accomplishment of animated story-telling.

2) Full Metal Alchemist - I came into this show not knowing what to expect. I'd been told it was spectacular, but I was skeptical. But it was a near-instant favorite. After the first episode I knew (if it kept up that quality) I was going to love it. I like that even though it has a huge cast of characters, it makes good use of nearly all of them. And it has little if any filler. And when you think it can't get any better, it does. And then it does it again! It's rare to find an anime like that, that not only doesn't spoil it's greatness after 40+ episodes, but actually gets even better!

3) Mobile Suit Gundam - The characters in this show are unforgettable. The charasmatic Char Aznable, the stern Bright Noa, the honorable Ramba Ral. These are the archetypes for all the Gundam characters that came after. The story is gripping and intelligent, far beyond its giant robot toy merchandising (an aspect of the show that supposedly irked Tomino). A true anime classic.

4) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - It's hard to express how I feel about this series. I'm still recovering from my first viewing, weeks ago. When the smoke clears, it'll probably surpass the original series. It's really epic and I enjoy the battles and poltical/emotional turmoil, but there's a hell of a lot to keep track of. Like FMA, this show stays great even past the 40 episode mark and gets even better. It was well worth the price I paid for the boxset, even with the boxset's problems.

5) Neon Genesis Evangelion - Pen Pen. 'Nuff said.

6) Bubblegum Crisis - Bubblegum Crisis is the definition of "cyberpunk" to me. It's a dark, atmospheric, and gritty ride through post-apocalyptic Tokyo, where apparently the 80s never went out of style! But big hair can be forgiven for some solid music and some pretty cool battles. The characters are endearing, though none of them are as fleshed out as Priss Asagiri, who easily steals the show. Voiced by singer Kinuko Ohmori, Priss exerts the right amount of emotion and depth to make her an unforgetable anime icon. Hell, with those hardsuits, I'd say all four Knight Sabers are icons.

7) Now and Then, Here and There - Heavy. Very, very heavy. Very dramatic. There are moments in this show that made my heart ache and parts which made it stop. Not for fans of mindless action, Now and Then, Here and There is a powerful show about the indomitable spirit of Shu in a world that knows no peace. Anyone with the slightest good in them suffers. The art and animation are simple and the music is mostly timid, but all of it forms something greater than the sum of its parts.

8) Macross Plus - A visual and audio feast with some nostalgia for Macross attached. Macross Plus used to be my all-time favorite anime, and stayed in that position for a long time. I still really, really love this OVA and it's movie version, as well. The story seems more natural and familiar at each period I watch it in, as if I can understand the feelings in it better as I mature. Not as epic as I once thought, perhaps, but I feel more attached to it now emotionally.

9) Gundam 08th MS Team - A grittier, more natural look at war with giant robots. Gundam at its OAV best. Though the romance between Shiro and Aina seems rushed, it's nonetheless endearing. There's also something to be said about the political situations and down-and-dirty battle scenes. Oh, and the music was great, too. It had a true feeling to it. Exploring what war brings to the surface, the power of love, the strength of teamwork, the desire to do the right thing, this Gundam doesn't leave me feeling empty and tired. The Gundams in this aren't the invincible monsters in Gundam Wing. They malfunction, break down, are destroyed. They are only as good as the human pilots. I found myself understanding both sides, both Federation and Zeon, and rooting for both at times.

10) The Big O - The Big O is reminiscant of the "super robot" era of anime, ressurected in a fashion that might remind anime fans of the show Giant Robo. I love the mysterious nature of this show. Trying to unravel the meaning behind the missing memories and the origin of Paradigm City is part of the fun of the show. The music is very snappy and jazzy, all the pieces fitting in perfectly. The battles, although predictable, are fun to watch.

Movies are a whole other story (and in fact, I should probably put TV series and OVAs in two different catagories). I usually keep a steady list of favorites (I have way too much time on my hands!) but I haven't been able to update my movie favorites in a while.

Bottom 5 (Not really... just five anime I particularly dislike, but can't decide which I hate more) Least Favorite Anime TV Series/OVAs

*These don't include obviously bad anime like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, which are commercials for their respective products and targeted for children, and therefore, not meant to be good.

.hack//SIGN - .hack//SIGN is like one, long, boring, pointless conversation in beautiful scenery with even more beautiful music. It's well-animated, the character designs are nice, the story *concept* is decent, the potential is there, but it's flat. There's no point to it and at the end it leaves you feeling empty. It's hard to care about the plight of poor Tsukasa, because he's dull and mopey with random spurts of insane confidence (due to befriending a blob thing that takes out his enemies). It's hard to care about anyone other than Sora, who is brash and scheming, but has the only personality in the whole series. As for as the conclusion, where is it? What is it?

Witch Hunter Robin - A pointless snore-fest with aggravatingly stupid characters. One even chases a hobo out into the street (where said hobo is hit and killed) and nobody thinks twice about it. Nice. The only character I liked was Nagira, who tried to protect witches, hung out at a pachinko parlor, supplied information, and was all-around awesome character. Nagira should have his own show. Robin and Amon and the gang were boring.

Reign the Conqueror - Great if you're A) a hardcore Aeon Flux fan or B) love math, but since I was only a casual Aeon Flux fan and hate math, this show just wasn't for me. A lot of psuedo-history, pseudo-philosophy, math theories, incestous undertones, and (mostly) forgettable battles. Not the worst ever, but certainly very, very bad to me.

Cyber City Oedo - Amusing for all the wrong reasons. I especially love watching the English dub, filled with some pretty colorful language. Without the hilariously bad dub, it wouldn't be worth watching at all.

Wolf's Rain - What? How can I hate a "masterpiece" like Wolf's Rain? Well, let me be honest. I don't think it's one of the worst. It's just highly overrated and I wanted to air my greivances. I love the art, animation, atmosphere, music, and some characters, but this show utterly fails in living up to its supposed greatness. Wolf's Rain has heaps of flat, flavorless material and long periods of nothing at all happening. There are several clip episodes in a row, to boot. It's like the creators had this really good idea and already decided on a beginning and ending, but forgot there had to be a middle, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if I got some flack for listing Wolf's Rain, but I'm willing to go into specifics.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:34 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if I got some flack for listing Wolf's Rain, but I'm willing to go into specifics.

*Blink* If you think I'm going to contest you on that, you've assumed incorrectly. People have their own tastes, and I respect that. As I said, I recognize that Wolf's Rain has its flaws. Those flaws just don't happen to bother me, as I have such a personality that tolerates (even enjoys) certain aspects of the series that would bother other people.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and I don't see why anyone should attack you for your personal views. And this comes from as big a Wolf's Rain fan as they come, so... ^^;
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
Pacific Pikachu wrote:
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and I don't see why anyone should attack you for your personal views. And this comes from as big a Wolf's Rain fan as they come, so... ^^;
Good point. As it is beligerent to
disrepect one for disliking/disaproving of another's "Favorite series"(Ya don't see me thrashing those who unjuistifiably saying how much "Soultaker suks",etc. Wink ) It's that mentality that prepetuates the Fanboy stereotype, yanno. Laughing

Anyway, Most of the Animes mentioned in this thread are already among my top faves,That and i have too many perenial favorites to list in the top ten order..maybe a top 50 list would suffice.
jncalp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
1: Furi Kuri
I suppose the main reason that I would put this anime as my number one favorite would be because this is the show that really made me want to watch more anime. To me the animation was beautiful, add in the fact that a majority of the show was hand drawn merely adds to the allure for me. The storyline they had was a very confusing one, but was interesting once you figured out the general idea. And the mix of humor and action was a real treat(has some of the best battle scenes in my opinion). It also helped that it had a real good soundtrack(yay for the Pillows).

2: Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu?
Now I haven't watched the original Full Metal Panic, but this series has made me want to watch it. I thought this series was hilarious. And the romance aspect that they fit in is touching(makes you say "awe"). I know this isn't very much to say about my second pick but the main thing about this anime is that it is real funny without being too random, like Excel Saga.

3: Samurai X
What can be said about this OVA series, especially Reflection? To me there are only two ways you can end a romance: either a happy ending or DEATH. Between the awesome battles, which they bothered to draw unlike the first season of the TV series, to the tear jerking tragedy, this anime is the perfect example of how these types of storylines should be done.

4: Love Hina
Now this romantic comedy was light hearted in comparison to my number 3 pick. The whole "girls beat on guy caught in the wrong place at the wrong time" thing got kind of repetative at times, but I forgive it for that(because of things like the Godzilla gag). Granted I did enjoy the second to last episode a little more than the last episode, it was still a pretty good ending. And the Christmas special made me and my friends squeal like little girls watching soap operas.

5: Dragonball Z
As Toonami put it "The best action cartoon ever made." Granted it did drag out most of the time, like when they fight for 2 seconds and talk for 15 minutes then fight again(see the battle with Freiza). They upgraded their drawing towards the end of the series and they never failed to put on a good show when Vegeta and Goku fought. Simply put it is a hardcore action cartoon. And I liked it in middle school, which would make it one of the first anime I have seen(Sailor Moon being the first).

Disappointment

Kare Kano
Now I know I'm going to get alot of heat for this, but to me the ending was a bit dull. I will say that they did a good job with the whole high school romance thing, but in my opinion they could have ended it a bit earlier. spoiler[They could've ended it either when they had sex or when she thoguht that thier relationship had come full circle and they didn't need each other anymore. To me they just tried to expand on a couple of other tangents that were just out there(like the sister episode).] I just don't think that it was that great since it was hailed as the best romance.
jncalp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This is the best that I could come up with in the limited time that I had to make this post. If I had more time I'd write a top 10 and maybe some of these selections would've been more thought out, but here it is.

1: Furi Kuri
I suppose the main reason that I would put this anime as my number one favorite would be because this is the show that really made me want to watch more anime. To me the animation was beautiful, add in the fact that a majority of the show was hand drawn merely adds to the allure for me. The storyline they had was a very confusing one, but was interesting once you figured out the general idea. And the mix of humor and action was a real treat(has some of the best battle scenes in my opinion). It also helped that it had a real good soundtrack(yay for the Pillows).

2: Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu?
Now I haven't watched the original Full Metal Panic, but this series has made me want to watch it. I thought this series was hilarious. And the romance aspect that they fit in is touching(makes you say "awe"). I know this isn't very much to say about my second pick but the main thing about this anime is that it is real funny without being too random, like Excel Saga.

3: Samurai X
What can be said about this OVA series, especially Reflection? To me there are only two ways you can end a romance: either a happy ending or DEATH. Between the awesome battles, which they bothered to draw unlike the first season of the TV series, to the tear jerking tragedy, this anime is the perfect example of how these types of storylines should be done.

4: Love Hina
Now this romantic comedy was light hearted in comparison to my number 3 pick. The whole "girls beat on guy caught in the wrong place at the wrong time" thing got kind of repetative at times, but I forgive it for that(because of things like the Godzilla gag). Granted I did enjoy the second to last episode a little more than the last episode, it was still a pretty good ending. And the Christmas special made me and my friends squeal like little girls watching soap operas.

5: Dragonball Z
As Toonami put it "The best action cartoon ever made." Granted it did drag out most of the time, like when they fight for 2 seconds and talk for 15 minutes then fight again(see the battle with Freiza). They upgraded their drawing towards the end of the series and they never failed to put on a good show when Vegeta and Goku fought. Simply put it is a hardcore action cartoon. And I liked it in middle school, which would make it one of the first anime I have seen(Sailor Moon being the first).

Disappointment

Kare Kano
Now I know I'm going to get alot of heat for this, but to me the ending was a bit dull. I will say that they did a good job with the whole high school romance thing, but in my opinion they could have ended it a bit earlier. spoiler[They could've ended it either when they had sex or when she thought that thier relationship had come full circle and they didn't need each other anymore. To me they just tried to expand on a couple of other tangents that were just out there(like the sister episode).] I just don't think that it was that great since it was hailed as the best romance.
Alucard27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've even seen 10 anime series in my entire life. Well, I think I have, but I haven't seen enough of them to pass proper judgement, so I'll use the anime I have seen a lot of, and a few will be movies. Hating anime is easy for me, it just has to have a weak storyline and that'll do it (although there are exceptions). Here we go!

1. RahXephon
Beats out EVA, the anime formerly known as the best ever made. RahXephon is the complete package, taking a thought-provoking storyline, some of the best music ever heard in an anime, great characters, and a bit of fan service, mixing them together and creating this monstrosity that has been unfairly branded as an EVA clone.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
This almost perect formula held the "best anime" title for 7 years until RahXephon came out. If it wasn't for Shinji's constant whining, this anime would be perfect. Instead, it's a stellar anime that should be watched.

3. Inuyasha
Again, another near-perfect anime, but this one has a bigger preoblem: it's TOO LONG! If my memory serves correctly, Inuyasha's grand episode total is 156, and that's too long for a series. I can see why the public's attention has been held (great action, sotryline), but this series didn't need as many episodes as it has.

4. Witch Hunter Robin
Great series that was brought down by a shoddy ending. The dub is good (OMG!), the characters are well-developed, ans the storyline is great as well, but that series ending just leaves so much unsolved.

5. Trigun
Ah, everybody's favorite manic depressive series. The thing that weighs down this series is the complete mood swing that takes place after episode 10. This could've been one of the most light-hearted gun-slinging animes ever. Instead, it becomes REAL depressing and can change a person's mood in a snap.

6. Rurouni Kenshin
A great series that is overshadowed by the much better manga. Kenshin is a good anime, don't get me wrong, it's just that the anime gets overshadowed by the manga because Kenshin is a bit more serious in the manga, and the anime's storyline is not as strong, and the anime is a laugh-fest at times.

7. Hellsing
One of the most flawed animes ever makes my top 10 list. The reason why is because the storyline may have a ton of holes, especially at the end, but it's so action-packed that it glues you to your TV set and you always wanna see who Arucard is gonna either shoot up, maim, or impale next. Also, people who follow the series will want to see if Seras grows herself a vampiric spine and decides to give up what's left of her humanity.

8. Gundam Wing
A wonderful series, possibly the best in the Gundam series (I need to see more Gundam, especially Gundam Seed). This anime was released about the same time as EVA, so it's not as widely hearladed, but for a time, it was my personal favorite. Good characters and a strong storyline are the hallmarks of this series.

9.Akira
This movie is a real masterpiece, but there are 8 anime series out there, and that's what bings Akira down to #9. Akira has the goods to possibly be the best anime movie ever (I need to see more anime movies), but the storyline is too convoluted at times.

10. Robotech
The last anime in my top 10 is one of the most heralded, and it's also one of my favorites. This series is 20 years old now, but it hasn't lost any of it's luster over that time. The only thing that keeps Robotech from breaking the top 5 is that the series goes south after the Macross Saga. Southern Cross is horrid, and Mospedea(sp?) is not even close to the mark. Robotech is remembered for Macross, and that's about 26 out of the 85 episodes in Robotech.

My least favorite anime series

I don't have 5 least favorite anime series, but I do have one that I implore people to stay away from at all costs.

DragonBall Z
The most overrated anime series ever. The creator was supposed to stop after the Frieza Saga, but the company taking care of production told the DBZ creator to continue. Big mistake. The only good saga after Frieza is the Cell Saga, but the series just got FAR too repetitive and the formula was tired. Not to mention the OUTLANDISH length of the series at over 300(!) episodes.

There you have it, my anime favs have been made public. If you have a problem with them, then contact me and take them out on me.
Benizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, I'm quite new to the forum. Heres one fave and why. (sorry cant list alot)

1. Cowboy Bebop!
I could not wait to see Spike fight, nor could I wait to see how Jet helped. I couldnt wait for Ed to go "Weeeeee" or for Ein to go "Bark Bark!" Everything is one fluid episode, or two. The theme is second to none. I remember watching nearly every episode in a two week span and after that searching the internet finding an collage of Spikes storyline all done to the Beetle's(or was it Paul's) song "Yesterday" and having that as the final homage to this great series. Beautiful, exciting, fluid and super-fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 122