• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ghost Whisperer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
As has been mentioned, the early episodes of One Piece may seem a bit off from the later stuff, but there's plenty of good viewing to be had. And the Arlong Park arc, with Nami's past is still among my favorites. Whenever she starts to annoy me, I just flash back to that arc and all is forgiven Very Happy

The Tagalog dub of One Piece is being rerun from the beginning; right now it's on the Arlong Park arc. My favorite arc from the first 300 or so episodes is Arabasta (I'm a Nami/Vivi fan). Got my order of FLCL and OP Collection 1 DVDs last month, but I haven't watched them yet.

@Erin, there's an old English dub for GS Mikami from AXN Asia:

http://philippinetvanime.blogspot.com/search/label/Ghost%20Sweeper%20Mikami
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
make up almost 20% of early One Piece content. (I'd like to see someone do real math on this.)

This reminds me of how in the Fullmetal Alchemist (manga) character book they had a section where they totaled up the number of panels each character appeared in up to a certain volume and made a ranking. I thought that was cool. They also did some funny ones like who's angry the most (from memory), Ed and Izumi were top I think (not surprisingly Anime hyper).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'm not sure I follow here. Girls who have yuri fantasies of other characters are offensive?

sewingrose wrote:
I don't think that's what the original poster was going for. But I could hazard a guess one could have found the constant "Ha Ha, lesbians!" annoying as it just sorta diminishes a sexuality to a punchline.

A bit of both, yes. Smile The fact that Chitose has fantasies isn't offensive itself, per se, what I found mildly offensive is the way the episode would stop being (somewhat) entertaining to indulge in her fantasies. Although sewingrose's point about kind of diminishing a sexuality for a punchline is right too. But I fully recognize that I am in no way the target audience for this show. I'm surprised at myself for still watching it. Wink Really, it's pretty harmless.

Megiddo wrote:
Even after Baratie, my fandom of One Piece wasn't quite solidified. After Arlong Park though, with Nami's past revealed, I became a OP fanatic for life.

Amen to that! Plus it fed nicely into my general pirate obsession. Thanks, Robert Lewis Stevenson and The Secret of Monkey Island!
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
This is my opinion on how Yuru Yuri could be better=
1.Kill Chitose (I like the fantasies, I hate her)
2. Kill Chizuru (same as Chitose)
3. No more tsun bull (I will tolerate one tsun character and it isn't Ayano or Himawari, had enough tsun Ayano bull from Kaze no Stigma)
4. More Chinatsu molesting Akari

May drop this after watching that horrible Chitose focus episode.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I hate to tell you-but less than 1/3 of the junk on your shelves is anime.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Sure, Yuruyuri is filled with humor signifiers, but in terms of semiotics, I am sadly unqualified to explain how it fails to be funny. I felt more like I was collecting data than watching a television show.

I strongly agree. There's nothing funny about it. The jokes are worse than stale and the characters are dull and unoriginal. It's a shame because I was looking forward to this one.

Quote:
I was especially annoyed with Chitose, a student council member who takes off her glasses to nosebleed-fantasize about her classmates.

Chitose kept reminding me of a cheap knock-off of Kanako Miyamae from Mariaholic (who I find to be hilarious).
Even though I never laugh at the show, something about it keeps me watching it every week. Probably Kyoko....

But no shows really make me laugh anyway, just a nice feeling from some shows that are supposed to make me laugh. In the end though, Chisato does ruin the show
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
>Yuru Yuri
>Flushable

Even if it is just your opinion, I heavily disagree with it, and believe that it doesn't deserve that kind of harsh treatment.

SO do I. It's cause of the review that I'm gonna give the series a try cause i like yuri series. I'm preety sure the later eps would change her mind.

Also Glad that OP Collection 1 is on shelf worthy cause the 1 season is at least that. That is until it goes into slightly filler mode but at least their fillers arent as massive as on naruto.

Erin wrote:
This is a children's show, right?

Unfortunately it's not. It's mainly for Older Teens. This is why I'm glad Funi is doing the dubs. So hopefully people especially the hardcore otakus will FINALLY forget the horror that is 4kids cause it's their destruction of this series that is the main reason they should go belly under.

This is quote that all anime series are kids shows are the main reason why no kids companies ( ESPECIALLY 4kids and Nelvana ) should NEVER EVER license any anime period cause their crappy edits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
to watch my newly imported R2 Redline Blu-ray at a friend's place.

I realize I'm probably nitpicking here, but the nits need to be picked! Blu-ray does not have a Region 2. There's Region A, Region B, and Region C. We (those of us in the US) share a region (A) with Japan, so just saying it was an import would have been the correct way of putting it. Makes importing from Japan much more viable to people who don't want to have multiple players or a region free player, and even more so since Japan is starting to include more English subs on their blu-ray releases.

Wasn't totally wrong on the 'R2' bit for the collectors edition as other than the trailers, all the extras are on a R2 DVD... but yes no 'R2' for Blu-Ray discs. What is different about the Japanese Redline release compared to most others is the entire menu is done in English, every single thing on both the Blu-Ray and DVD extras disc... there is no Japanese text at all in the entire menu system.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that Gold Roger was not even that specific about the One Piece. He said he hid it in "that place." Most people just assumed he meant in the Grand Line, including Luffy. It isn't necessarily on the Grand Line at all. (In fact, a theory has been floating around that the One Piece is Luffy's straw hat. There has been nothing so far that refutes this claim.)

As for what can be skipped, it's REALLY hard to make out, since nothing is particularly obvious besides the filler arcs. It also depends on what you want: Character development, world building, series-level plot advancement, greater detail on concepts, and so forth. But I'll give it a shot right here. You said you've watched up to Alabasta, so we'll start after that:

The Skypeia arc is mostly skippable. (This includes Jaya.) Pretty much all you need to know that gets referenced later is the concept of "mantra" and the nature of Dials. Nothing else shows up later, though I can't vouch for what could happen in future releases. So in other words, you can just watch the part where the Straw Hats reach land and the battle against Satori. However, before and after the Skypeia arc is a lot of detail about important characters acting independent of the Straw Hats' actions. These people will show up later and contribute directly to Luffy's stories.

All of the Davy Back Fight can be skipped for now. It's unimportant and inconsequential, almost suspiciously so. I have a strong hunch characters from this part will return later, but as it currently stands, you can skip right to CP9.

The CP9 story is the longest one, and I suppose the most expendable parts (I say this because every single scene has importance) are much of Water Seven until CP9 invades Iceburg's house and Luffy's invasion of Enies Lobby until he meets Blueno. I don't know how much of the anime, that is, but I'd estimate that's about 45 chapters out of about 140 total for that part of the series. Be sure to not skip Franky's and Robin's flashbacks. They are kind of long, but that's because they're complicated. This part of the series is top-notch storytelling though--I'd only say to skip them if you absolutely must rush through One Piece. It has tremendous character development for Robin, Franky, and Usopp.

The entirety of Thriller Bark can also be skipped except parts concerning Brook and Bartholomew Kuma. In other words, watch Brook's flashback to see what he's like as a person, his duel against Ryuma to see how he fights, and after Gekko Moriah's defeat for character development for Zoro and some exposition about the world at large. Stuff before Thriller Bark is also important, as it's more exposition of other characters, particularly of Ace and Blackbeard.

Impel Down is also arguably skippable, since Luffy gets no real character development here, but other characters do, and it's a major turning point in the relationship between Luffy and the World Government. Much of the War of the Best is fluff until Akainu makes his big move, and after that, you can skip to the end of it. However, you lose a lot of the emotional impact.

Luffy's flashback is of extreme importance; there is nothing to skip here. However, you can skip most of the stuff about what the other Straw Hats are doing. They'll just explain everything again after the timeskip anyway.

And I don't know which parts of the current arc should be skipped until it finishes, since I can't tell which parts are important and which ones less so.

erinfinnegan wrote:

Oh! I've heard about that one, Ed Chavez kept telling me about the manga. It has soldiers making tea in their helmets and stuff like that.

That sounds gross. They sweat in those things. And not to mention the inevitable person with dandruff.

jr0904 wrote:
Unfortunately it's not. It's mainly for Older Teens. This is why I'm glad Funi is doing the dubs. So hopefully people especially the hardcore otakus will FINALLY forget the horror that is 4kids cause it's their destruction of this series that is the main reason they should go belly under.

This is quote that all anime series are kids shows are the main reason why no kids companies ( ESPECIALLY 4kids and Nelvana ) should NEVER EVER license any anime period cause their crappy edits.

Eiichiro Oda said repeatedly in his SBS Question Corners that he considers One Piece a kids' series. The thing is that he doesn't talk down to them and instead considers kids as his intellectual equal, which might give the impression that it's for an older target audience than it is. He doesn't mind older folks picking up the series though. It brings in big yen.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Eiichiro Oda said repeatedly in his SBS Question Corners that he considers One Piece a kids' series. The thing is that he doesn't talk down to them and instead considers kids as his intellectual equal, which might give the impression that it's for an older target audience than it is. He doesn't mind older folks picking up the series though. It brings in big yen.

We're talking about a Japanese person's idea on what's suitable for kids. By most American standards (and FUNimation and Viz themselves) One Piece is a Teen+ series. Let's not forget, Fullmetal Alchemist and freakin' Death Note of all things are "aimed at young boys" according to the Japanese. I'm not saying that one view is definitively right, but you can't just assume that what the Japanese consider to be the "primary demographic" of a series can automatically rule what the "primary demographic" of a series should be considered elsewhere.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Nevertheless, the point is that it was intended as one. But that is true--what might be a kids' show there might not be one elsewhere. I do wonder though: Among industrialized nations, is the United States the one strictest about content in children's programming?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Among industrialized nations, is the United States the one strictest about content in children's programming?

That's a really big question, and most of the answers I know don't relate to the programming content so much as advertising.

I could've sworn once I heard something on NPR about children's television somewhere like Finland, where they don't allow any advertising aimed at kids (or at least no advertising junk food or sugary cereal, it was something like that). I think in the U.S. there is a restriction on advertising toys for a show during the show's broadcast (no TMNT toy commercials during TMNT commercial breaks). But in Japan, Anpanman products are the only commercials within an Anpanman cartoon, which seems extra-ridiculous considering that's a preschool show about arguably not-healthy food characters. (That said, there is only one short commercial break in Japan, compared to the many minutes of commercial breaks during U.S. shows.)

I've rarely heard anything about the content of programming, except in terms of adult programming, where in Europe they supposedly allow nudity on TV but less violence, and in the U.S. it's the opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3